Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum Salmon Closure for Region 2  (Read 21055 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Chum Salmon Closure for Region 2
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2024, 09:54:01 AM »

within the last 5 or 6 years the Fraser experienced low returns while other nearby rivers such as the Nanaimo had good returns allowing commercial harvest so how rivers in Alaska or what the Area 12 tests are may not be indicative of what will happen on the Fraser. It's still at least a month before Fraser Chum start to move through the Marine approaches and fish in Area 12 are likely bound to mainland rivers north of the Fraser that have earlier returns.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2024, 01:33:40 PM »

within the last 5 or 6 years the Fraser experienced low returns while other nearby rivers such as the Nanaimo had good returns allowing commercial harvest so how rivers in Alaska or what the Area 12 tests are may not be indicative of what will happen on the Fraser. It's still at least a month before Fraser Chum start to move through the Marine approaches and fish in Area 12 are likely bound to mainland rivers north of the Fraser that have earlier returns.

Indeed, Ralph, it is still quite early; the chum test for the Fraser River and Johnston Strait does not commence until October.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2024, 12:09:34 PM »

I could not keep the chum off yesterday in the ocean at the mouth of the fraser yesterday, Its typically fairly hard to target and catch them as they typically do not bite in the ocean near the fraser. Landed some nice hatchery coho as well. One report does not make a return but it seems that its a stronger year for coho and chum.

JS chum test fishery is also looking stronger this year, I would not be surprised if some commercial fishing is triggered.

SuperBobby

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2024, 02:09:00 PM »

JS chum test fishery is also looking stronger this year, I would not be surprised if some commercial fishing is triggered.
Please....don't put any ideas into their heads. We're having a great season on the Fraser Tribs so far. Amazing how good the fall fisheries are when there is no commercial fishing.
As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to see the chum numbers stay near rock bottom....keeping the coho and steelhead numbers higher.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2024, 11:07:13 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to see the chum numbers stay near rock bottom....keeping the coho and steelhead numbers higher.

If chum numbers don't rebound, the whole eco-system will suffer even more than it does already. Chum are an essential link in the food chain, providing food to numerous animals and nutrients to the river.
Your coho and steelhead can't thrive without chum being part of the equation.

Wanting to see chum numbers "stay near rock bottom" is tantamount to wanting to see the eco-system collapse.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2024, 11:09:03 AM »

An adult chum salmon returning to spawn contains an average of 130 grams of nitrogen, 20 grams of phosphorus and more than 20,000 kj of energy in the form of protein and fat.!

roeman

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2024, 01:58:58 PM »

Humans is what needs to be removed from the equation.  Too many people in the world with too much money.  Exporting chum roe to Asia for the almighty dollar.  Time to start spay and neutering humans after one child.  If your IQ is less than 50 you don't get to procreate at all. 
There you go, pick apart my writing skills...
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2024, 03:17:32 PM »

Humans is what needs to be removed from the equation.  Too many people in the world with too much money.  Exporting chum roe to Asia for the almighty dollar.  Time to start spay and neutering humans after one child.  If your IQ is less than 50 you don't get to procreate at all. 

We are all so outraged [yawn]
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2024, 08:29:04 PM »

To say that chum numbers should stay near rock bottom, I suggest is narrow and self-centric thinking.

To echo Milo, the nutrients that chum salmon deliver from the ocean support so many other species in our west coast ecosystem: bears, eagles, cutthroat trout, the forests, and even the next generation of other salmon.

When chum runs are thriving it means everything else from ocean conditions to coastal forest ecosystems are working as they should. And isn't that more important than catching coho or steelhead?

But I think I get your point. Lots of chum means lots of netting means lots of interception and bycatch of other species. But the chum aren't the problem...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2024, 10:06:39 PM »

Wait, who are we neutering first?

SuperBobby

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2024, 09:25:53 AM »

If chum numbers don't rebound, the whole eco-system will suffer even more than it does already. Chum are an essential link in the food chain, providing food to numerous animals and nutrients to the river.
Your coho and steelhead can't thrive without chum being part of the equation.

Wanting to see chum numbers "stay near rock bottom" is tantamount to wanting to see the eco-system collapse.

A little dramatic from you, but maybe I'll rephrase what I said a bit.

Instead of having Chum numbers at rock bottom, lets keep them just below the borderline of whether the gillnetters go out or not.

Humans is what needs to be removed from the equation.  Too many people in the world with too much money.

You first.

Time to start spay and neutering humans after one child.  If your IQ is less than 50 you don't get to procreate at all. 

Easy. I got just the tool for that. How long will you wear the cone of shame for?
When do you want to meet up?

It's not your writing skills that concerns me.

To say that chum numbers should stay near rock bottom, I suggest is narrow and self-centric thinking.

To echo Milo, the nutrients that chum salmon deliver from the ocean support so many other species in our west coast ecosystem: bears, eagles, cutthroat trout, the forests, and even the next generation of other salmon.

Bears are doing more than fine. Bears and Eagles will eat whatever they can find. Salmon meat is just the easy answer.
As for cutthroat, I've been fishing them since the early 80s. We've had many up and down cycles of chum since then. The sea run cutthroat have been on a very steady decline since then. The good cycles of chum did NOT improve the sea run cutthroat numbers. Unfortunately, the sea run cutthroat fishery is a mere shadow of what it used to be both in size of fish and size of each run. Improving chum numbers won't fix the sea run cutthroat problem.

When chum runs are thriving it means everything else from ocean conditions to coastal forest ecosystems are working as they should. And isn't that more important than catching coho or steelhead?

Lots of decomposing chum is a good thing...I agree.....but it is not a fix all for the things mentioned here.
With that said.....healthy coho and steelhead runs are more important to me. Chum is so gross to the point of inedible. Coho is a wonderful protein.

But I think I get your point. Lots of chum means lots of netting means lots of interception and bycatch of other species. But the chum aren't the problem...

Exactly. Commercial gillnetting the lower Fraser for chum roe is a crime of corporate greed beyond comprehension.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2024, 11:07:49 AM »

Instead of having Chum numbers at rock bottom, lets keep them just below the borderline of whether the gillnetters go out or not.
Commercial gillnetting the lower Fraser for chum roe is a crime of corporate greed beyond comprehension.

I agree one hundred percent.

Chum is so gross to the point of inedible. Coho is a wonderful protein.

Have you ever had ocean caught chum? Or those silver bullets that were once abundant in the Squamish river?
From my experience, chum smokes far better than coho, so does chinook. (higher fat content).
But I'll give you that on the grill, coho is hard to beat. :)

Cyanescens

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2024, 11:19:32 AM »

Instead of hoping for low chum numbers, we should lobby to eliminate all gill netting from mixed stock waters.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2024, 11:19:52 AM »

Among all the species, I would consider smoked chum to be the finest. For canned options, I prefer sockeye, while coho is best suited for barbecuing. Chinook ranks in the middle across all preparation methods.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2024, 11:58:48 AM »

Among all the species, I would consider smoked chum to be the finest. For canned options, I prefer sockeye, while coho is best suited for barbecuing. Chinook ranks in the middle across all preparation methods.

x2

That said, I really like chinook (both red or white or marbled) in sashimi.