Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum Salmon Closure for Region 2  (Read 21054 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Chum Salmon Closure for Region 2
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2024, 09:49:29 AM »

Are areas 29-[1-5] expected to be majority Fraser bound? If so, it would seem illogical to not only open the tidal, but even increase the retention limits without eventually opening some sort of terminal fishery...

there will be no recreational opening in the Fraser itself due to the IFS conservation measures. The current opening exclude the immediate areas directly off the Fraser. I am also sure that other stakeholders which as well as FNs would also include community hatcheries may be reluctant to agree to recreational chum openings due to the abysmal returns of recents years. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 11:24:27 AM by RalphH »
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

stsfisher

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2024, 10:29:34 AM »

It's clear not many here remember real good numbers of chum on spawning beds. No need to open a rec fishery for them. Leave em be, and hopefully we will at some point see a repeat of those days.
It's very interesting to me, listening to everyone wanting more. There's more than enough hatchery raised coho and Chinook Togo around.

Chum Slayer

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2024, 12:19:39 PM »

Keep it closed, but allow c and r in freshwater.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2024, 01:18:59 PM »

Looking at the Commercial chum salmon update  for Oct 10th for the mid-Island it states that escapement targets have to be met at 75% before commercial openings would be considered.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=309591&ID=all

quite a ways to go in those cases. It's a high bar and if applied for the FV there may not be in river openings.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 06:11:45 PM by RalphH »
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2024, 07:18:10 PM »

They have open mix stock troll and seine in JS

redside1

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2024, 09:14:34 AM »

They have open mix stock troll and seine in JS

when did it open? interesting to see the IFS return at Albion has been zero now since October 7 after a decent showing for September

243Pete

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2024, 12:13:04 PM »

Holy... the number of people fishing for chum on both sides of the Stave River is nuts, I thought it was closed even for the REC sector/ catch and release till further notice? what the heck is going on?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2024, 03:30:23 PM »

when did it open? interesting to see the IFS return at Albion has been zero now since October 7 after a decent showing for September

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=309659&ID=all

FN1064-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Chum - Area B - Johnstone Strait - Areas 12 and 13 - Opening - October 21 and 22, 2024

"The Area B Johnstone Strait Chum fishery will be managed as a full fleet derby fishery. Subject to in-season assessment information, the fishery will open for 10 hours on October 21, 2024 and for 6 hours on October 22, 2024. The start of this fishery is planned to occur in a harmonized area encompassing the lower portion of Area 12 and the upper portion of Area 13 as described below on dates that respect the intent of the Interior Fraser Steelhead window closure for Areas 12 and 13."

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=309425&ID=all

"FN1044-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll - Chum - Area H - Johnstone Strait - Area 12 and 13 - Opening - October 12, 2024

Area H Troll Johnstone Strait Chum harvest opportunities will be managed as an Individual Transferable Effort demonstration fishery subject to in-season assessment information. The total number of boat days available to the fleet is 180. Each licence will be assigned an allocation of nine (9) days of transferable effort. The Area H Troll fishery is expected to open on October 12 and remain open until October 31 or until the maximum 180 boat days has been fished, whichever comes first. The fishery will close for one day on the first day of the Area B Seine fishery scheduled for October 21, 2024 and will re-open on October 22, 2024. Area H vessel masters must follow the requirements of the conditions of licence to provide daily catch reports prior to 08:00 following each day fished as it will determine how long the fishery will remain open. If a vessel has filed a start fishing report and has not closed a fishing trip, it will be counted towards the total boat days and the fishery may close prior to achieving 180 boat days."

Jelly_

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2024, 04:03:39 PM »

Holy... the number of people fishing for chum on both sides of the Stave River is nuts, I thought it was closed even for the REC sector/ catch and release till further notice? what the heck is going on?
I believe most of them are aware that chum are non retention, but not the fact that its illegal to target them, and so as a result they were just catching them for fun.

243Pete

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2024, 08:39:04 PM »

I believe most of them are aware that chum are non retention, but not the fact that its illegal to target them, and so as a result they were just catching them for fun.

Hmmm not surprised, something like this is going to cause issues cause there were a LOT of anglers targetting chum. Some maybe targetting coho but a majority you can see are hooking chum and pulling them in.

Jelly_

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2024, 09:05:13 PM »

Hmmm not surprised, something like this is going to cause issues cause there were a LOT of anglers targetting chum. Some maybe targetting coho but a majority you can see are hooking chum and pulling them in.
I was down at stave yesterday and everyone around me was hooking chum including me. I was not intentionally targeting chum, but they kept on hitting my jig. The stave is pretty much taken over by chum right now.
I dont understand why chum is closed to even catch and release though, its quite hard not catching them since they are quite eager to bite your setup.

roeman

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2024, 09:38:56 PM »

I was down at stave yesterday and everyone around me was hooking chum including me. I was not intentionally targeting chum, but they kept on hitting my jig. The stave is pretty much taken over by chum right now.
I dont understand why chum is closed to even catch and release though, its quite hard not catching them since they are quite eager to bite your setup.
Change your set up, and change location.  If there are that many chum in the area you are fishing there will not be many coho.
Are you fishin or catchin

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2024, 06:52:35 AM »

Are they still counting fish at Vedder Crossing?  Should have a pretty accurate YTD assessment of the number of chums making it into the Vedder.  Would be interesting to know.  Seems like lots so far.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2024, 11:18:52 AM »

I am not sure but they typically announce the inseason estimate for fraser chum around this time and that should eaither trigger openings or not.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2024, 11:34:01 AM »

From 2020 it had this in FN1108, 

Catch in the Chum net through October 13 totals 1,728 Chum Salmon. Combining this data with the historical information in a Bayesian non-linear regression model results in an expected terminal Fraser River Chum Salmon return of 1,082,000 Chum (median estimate), with a 50% migration date of October 22. The return is expected to be between 688,000 and 1,738,000 (80% probability), and it is very likely that the return will meet the escapement goal of 800,000.

We exceeded that this year by a few dozen fish, so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say this year.