Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large portions of Access to Vedder river will be closed during prime Coho Season  (Read 18940 times)

SuperBobby

https://fraservalleynewsnetwork.com/2024/08/22/provincial-flood-recovery-work-and-closures-along-vedder-rotary-trail/?fbclid=IwY2xjawE0uCxleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHS5zeFR6obRI4ASUsbLT_8oPDWASsssKwIgbyl9vazZqIJheAavwTvQjXg_aem_KpTJLy3gw7rcpVkmX9b-qQ

Typical NDP government. They don't think things through and they are too arrogant to consult with user groups. Any other time of the year would have been fine....but no....let's do Coho season.
The October election cannot come soon enough. Eby and his moron government need to go.

clarki

• Old Timer

Agreed, the timing sucks for anglers, but I disagree that any other time would have been fine.

The spring/summer freshet window is out.  I doubt they would be permitted to do it during the winter/spring with eggs and alevin in the gravel. November, Dec, Jan are the heaviest rainfall months of the year, with November being the heaviest. And time is of the essence to get this done before the fall/winter rains, esp since they couldn’t do it in 2023 due to pink salmon spawning.

Yeah, the timing sucks, but all things considered, and in the interest of public safety, I think it’s the best available option.

Edit: correct year from 2022 to 2023
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 11:09:14 PM by clarki »

hammer

Good point

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

that';s going to put some unreal pressure on other hotspots

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

If one reads the City Posting at

https://www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=37&prshow=details&prid=577

This project is being carried out by the Province and aims to enhance flood protection along the Vedder River. The 2021 atmospheric river event caused 440,000 cubic metres of sediment to deposit in the Vedder River, which is 10 times the typical annual amount. Sediment removals will happen in August and September to help restore the river’s capacity to contain and convey floodwater. Once the project is complete, the trails will be restored to their pre-construction condition.

or the Province notice: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/flood-projects/vedder-canal

It starts this Monday and could last into October.  Sounds like the trails and parking lots won't all be closed during that period. Doesn't sound particularly aimed at the angling public. Public consultation and notice does suck though.

It's a big project. Water conditions will likely suck for much of that time. With the Fraser shut and lack of similar snagging havens, the flossing social groups may stay home or spread out elsewhere.

BTW - there has been closures of the Park on the Stave for years now and people who fish there have adapted.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

SuperBobby

Sounds like the trails and parking lots won't all be closed during that period. Doesn't sound particularly aimed at the angling public.

Did you even read the article I posted. Here's the part you must have missed.

"Please note that the following parking lots may be closed for portions of the project:

Lickman Road

Hooge Road

Bergman Road

Giesbrecht Dyke

Keith Wilson Bridge and surrounding dykes"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Did you even read the article I posted. Here's the part you must have missed.

"Please note that the following parking lots may be closed for portions of the project:

Lickman Road

Hooge Road

Bergman Road

Giesbrecht Dyke

Keith Wilson Bridge and surrounding dykes"

Yes that was what I meant ..."may be" is not "will be".

In the meantime we must wait and see.

Time for me to publish more poetry  8)
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Aki

This is necessary work that has been done many times before; perhaps not quite as much material removed in the past years. It should create some great fishing waters (slow) and will allow for some reshaping come the freshet.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

vancook

• Old Timer

Hopefully will be quieter in the lower river

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Time for me to publish more poetry  8)
              Funniest thing I have read today! Lol

Lunk Louie

Well as in any other year for those accustomed to putting on some mileage other than the few meters from wherever they are parked opportunities may still be had at least in the upper reaches of the system, albeit they are dwindling too

The past Covid pandemic was obviously one of the major aspects (that, coupled with the irreversible damaging effects of hero photos...that we been accustomed to seeing much more of this past decade) hugely contributing/impacting the urbanization of the Vedder over the recent years, IMHO.... as the entire LML seems to have gravitated here (not knowing where the pandemic was heading)  desperately in search of outdoor activities that the hoards were steered towards due the indoor pandemic restrictions....golf/courses being the other outdoor activity also most negatively affected with course saturation and abhorrent green fees gone through the roof.....the throngs of new fishers has more than over-run the entire system during salmon migrations even more so than ever if that's even possible....

So.....perhaps this perceived inconvenience of trail closures will have somewhat of a curtailing effect on the Fall fishing throngs....LOL...remains to be seen but one can dream....eliminating hero photos/vids would help immensely too but too late for that, the damage is done.

canucksfan233

So, if I'm reading this correctly, anything on the river with a red line is not accessible? With this thought the entire back half of the canal up from kwb is closed until the west side of fishermans corner?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

So.....perhaps this perceived inconvenience of trail closures will have somewhat of a curtailing effect on the Fall fishing throngs....LOL...remains to be seen but one can dream....eliminating hero photos/vids would help immensely too but too late for that, the damage is done.

So where are you going in the lower river this year..... ;D