Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large portions of Access to Vedder river will be closed during prime Coho Season  (Read 18956 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Work has begun. Orange fencing with closed signage on parts of the Rotary trail. Heavy equipment moving about in the river.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 06:19:15 PM by Wiseguy »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

https://watershedwatch.ca/stories/gravel-mining-on-vedder-river-a-risk-to-salmon-survival/?mc_cid=db29087fa5&mc_eid=e6f132e5f8

I am sure that's true. I am also sure the dyking does as well. I guess the province is just going to have to expropriate all the properties on the flood plains below Vedder Crossing so the river can run free!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 07:14:30 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

This how it looked like on the project a few years ago that I filmed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMjJlDym2NQ

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

This video I filmed a few years ago bothered me as the machine was in the river proper. The river came up suddenly so the machine was trying to shore up the pit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRlB6bvuR0

Cyanescens

Who gets to keep this gravel? Does the contractor just get to sell it? Gravel like this is an incredibly valuable resource in dwindling local supply. Its one thing to remove "sediment" but this is spawning gravel and cobbles. I agree with the comment of dredging some mud out of the sumas. that will likely never happen though.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Who gets to keep this gravel? Does the contractor just get to sell it? Gravel like this is an incredibly valuable resource in dwindling local supply.
Just a big cash grab. Now I’m hearing the Sumas Nation has set up some sort of surveying station below the KWB and gill netting will be happening across the canal. It just gets better and better. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Who gets to keep this gravel? Does the contractor just get to sell it? Gravel like this is an incredibly valuable resource in dwindling local supply. Its one thing to remove "sediment" but this is spawning gravel and cobbles. I agree with the comment of dredging some mud out of the sumas. that will likely never happen though.

the Sumas is only a flood risk when the Nooksack breeches it dykes in Washington State  so removing mud there will make little difference. The Vedder Chilliwack is dyked, channelized and settled over much of it's length. The fish runs are heavily enhanced. Decades of bi-annual sediment removal has had little noticeable effect on the size of fish returns.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

. Now I’m hearing the Sumas Nation has set up some sort of surveying station below the KWB and gill netting will be happening across the canal. It just gets better and better.

you didn't know about it already? It's been talked about here and elsewhere for a few years.

Dave

• Old Timer

the Sumas is only a flood risk when the Nooksack breeches it dykes in Washington State  so removing mud there will make little difference. The Vedder Chilliwack is dyked, channelized and settled over much of it's length. The fish runs are heavily enhanced. Decades of bi-annual sediment removal has had little noticeable effect on the size of fish returns.

Have to agree with Ralph, so much fear mongering and misinformation. Except for the off channel areas, there is very limited salmonid rearing habitat and poor invertebrate populations in the Vedder below the Crossing and any main stem spawning by pinks or chum are negated because the substrate is so unstable in winter high water events.
As for sediment being released into the river, I believe Chris documented the only time this has occurred and that was minimal compared to a heavy rain.
As Ralph states, this gravel removal has been happening for decades with no noticeable effects on coho and steelhead populations.  In a perfect world this extraction would not be necessary but the huge increase in the human population and climate change has changed how urban rivers are managed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 01:57:05 PM by Dave »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Did you even read the article I posted. Here's the part you must have missed.

"Please note that the following parking lots may be closed for portions of the project:

Lickman Road

Hooge Road

Bergman Road

Giesbrecht Dyke

Keith Wilson Bridge and surrounding dykes"

From reading the last area listed above, Does this mean the whole canal from Fishermen Corner to H1 bridge is not accessible to cars? Where do fishermen park their cars fishing around there?

fisherforever

Just to add, Sumas First Nations has had gill net openings the past two years in the canal and their catches have been minimal from the members I have talked to

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Have to agree with Ralph, so much fear mongering and misinformation. Except for the off channel areas, there is very limited salmonid rearing habitat and poor invertebrate populations in the Vedder below the Crossing and any main stem spawning by pinks or chum are negated because the substrate is so unstable in winter high water events.
As for sediment being released into the river, I believe Chris documented the only time this has occurred and that was minimal compared to a heavy rain.
As Ralph states, this gravel removal has been happening for decades with no noticeable effects on coho and steelhead populations.  In a perfect world this extraction would not be necessary but the huge increase in the human population and climate change has changed how urban rivers are managed.
As well the need for the gravel in all the construction going on and what it is worth.This is what drives this operation. At least the decrease in fish farms is helping our wild salmom. Opps that is another topic.lol

Dave

• Old Timer

Welcome back bud!  :)

clarki

• Old Timer

Just a big cash grab. Now I’m hearing the Sumas Nation has set up some sort of surveying station below the KWB and gill netting will be happening across the canal. It just gets better and better.

Big cash grab? Normally cash grabs invectives are directed against governments for taxes, levies or penalties.

I'm curious, are you suggesting that the private sector (is the contractor Jake's Construction again?) is grabbing cash because they may be able to keep the excavated gravel?

Or is the government cash grabbing because they are paying $13M for the project.

I'm just a little unsure who is grabbing the cash in your scenario...

On a similar note, it would be interesting to do an FOI request for the contract and see who is the beneficiary of gravel sale revenue.

Cyanescens

That gravel is rare and valuable. It's worth at least $20/m3 maybe 30. So on top of getting paid $13M to do the work they get to sell the gravel.