Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large portions of Access to Vedder river will be closed during prime Coho Season  (Read 18941 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I know zip about this particular contract. However $13m is by no means a huge amount. If the contractor wasn't able to sell the gravel for a profit the contract amount would no doubt be much higher. Say the government 'owned' the gravel and then had to sell it. It's not in much of a position to do that as it doesn't have the staff etc with experience in brokering gravel sales. Easier just to let a contractor take it away & sell it.  Almost all government contracts go through a bid process. usually such details are spelled out in the bid. A web search might find it or alternately as was mentioned above it could be gotten via an FOI request or by simply calling your local MLA.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Big cash grab? Normally cash grabs invectives are directed against governments for taxes, levies or penalties.

I'm curious, are you suggesting that the private sector (is the contractor Jake's Construction again?) is grabbing cash because they may be able to keep the excavated gravel?

Or is the government cash grabbing because they are paying $13M for the project.

I'm just a little unsure who is grabbing the cash in your scenario...

On a similar note, it would be interesting to do an FOI request for the contract and see who is the beneficiary of gravel sale revenue.
Jake's had the contract in 2014, 2016, and 2022 I am not sure for this year but I would not be surprsed as they are a large constuction company based here in Chilliwack.

psd1179

• Old Timer

I know zip about this particular contract. However $13m is by no means a huge amount. If the contractor wasn't able to sell the gravel for a profit the contract amount would no doubt be much higher. Say the government 'owned' the gravel and then had to sell it. It's not in much of a position to do that as it doesn't have the staff etc with experience in brokering gravel sales. Easier just to let a contractor take it away & sell it.  Almost all government contracts go through a bid process. usually such details are spelled out in the bid. A web search might find it or alternately as was mentioned above it could be gotten via an FOI request or by simply calling your local MLA.

How many contractor can get a 13m contract for 2 months work?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Jake's had the contract in 2014, 2016, and 2022 I am not sure for this year but I would not be surprsed as they are a large constuction company based here in Chilliwack.
Side note-Jake Klassen the owner of Jake’s construction was my sons hockey coach when he played Chilliwack minor hockey with his son.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 08:40:00 PM by Wiseguy »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 07:08:30 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

https://jakesconstruction.ca/project/vedder-river-gravel-extraction/

Cyanescens

How many contractor can get a 13m contract for 2 months work?

Exactly, 13M is like roads and underground on a 200 unit townhouse site that will take 2 years in my business

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

The gravel does not sell for as much as some may think, It's not good for concrete/asphalt as it contains a high amount of organic matter, small pieces of wood ect..

That being said i know it the pass they tended to do this work in years where gravel prices were higher.

clarki

• Old Timer

Exactly, 13M is like roads and underground on a 200 unit townhouse site that will take 2 years in my business

As there are 13 sediment removal locations and 7 stock pile locations, I expect that work will be occurring at multiple sites concurrently in order to get the work completed within the required fisheries window. 

I suggest not a same-same comparison to your context.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

It's been done every 2 years for as long as I can remember.

If anyone bothers to look into it they'd find it was planned for 2023 but delayed to this year to avoid the bi-annual pink run. The groups that complained about it last year are complaining again this year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

The gravel does not sell for as much as some may think, It's not good for concrete/asphalt as it contains a high amount of organic matter, small pieces of wood ect..

I've often wondered how much lead is in the Vedder bottom sediments. Hooks and other gear are not that great either.

Dave

• Old Timer

I've often wondered how much lead is in the Vedder bottom sediments. Hooks and other gear are not that great either.
The question of lead in the Vedder, and it’s potential problems, was a consideration as a project for DFO’s Science Branch about 25 years ago. It was put on hold when it was found that blood samples from Water Ouzels(dippers) and American Mergansers had negligible lead concentrations.

Cyanescens

As there are 13 sediment removal locations and 7 stock pile locations, I expect that work will be occurring at multiple sites concurrently in order to get the work completed within the required fisheries window. 

I suggest not a same-same comparison to your context.

Its still ALOT of money. just for crude math sake, Each machine with operator charges out at about $250/hr. lets say 6 weeks x 5 days a week x 10 hour days x 20 machines x $250/hr = $1.5M
Sure there is some wood debris mixed in, but minimal processing (washing, screening) could make it quite valuable. Another $2M and it could all be hauled away to a fill site (dump). so we're at $3.5M. Maybe I underestimated the machine/manpower. so double it and we're at 3+2= $5M. A far cry from 13!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

you could be right but there will also be Engineering, Environmental, Security & Administrative costs associated with the work; possibly more (such as a contingency). Often all the other stuff costs more than the actual work of digging and removal. These contracts are usually posted and your MLA could likely get the break down.

I had a look at the Jake's website and in the past they have dug all this stuff out without actually working in the river bed. They dig it out and leave a barrier between the pit and the river and then open a channel. This produces the big frog water holes coho love. I assume work has started. I drove over the Canal at the #1 Saturday. The river was love and clear.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 07:59:20 PM by RalphH »

psd1179

• Old Timer

Its still ALOT of money. just for crude math sake, Each machine with operator charges out at about $250/hr. lets say 6 weeks x 5 days a week x 10 hour days x 20 machines x $250/hr = $1.5M
Sure there is some wood debris mixed in, but minimal processing (washing, screening) could make it quite valuable. Another $2M and it could all be hauled away to a fill site (dump). so we're at $3.5M. Maybe I underestimated the machine/manpower. so double it and we're at 3+2= $5M. A far cry from 13!

Here is a video of how these government work carrying out in full swing. Two excavator sit on gravel, one guy was napping, one guy stood by. $250 per hour?

https://www.facebook.com/1186454121/videos/427223326504015/?idorvanity=717189431721286