Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KASNAGGERS FB Group Enough is Enough  (Read 12987 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
KASNAGGERS FB Group Enough is Enough
« on: September 09, 2024, 08:36:42 PM »

I have wanted to make this post for a long time but I always stopped myself before in fear of pushback or unwanted attention to myself but at this point I have had enough as I'm sure many feel the same. This needs to be discussed extensively and SERIOUS actions must be taken from government officials to stop this criminal and unethical behavior. I know DFO is aware of what's happening but nothing has changed.

I am sure some of you are aware of this issue and the general snagging and poaching behavior in the vedder canal is well known.

This snagging/poacher group has been active on facebook for years posting daily on subjects such as keeping more than the daily limit, keeping wild coho, keeping more than the annual chinook limit, selling of fish, mishandling of fish. All of this is posted to mock us. Trolling or not, nothing is funny about it.

The main organizer in this group of criminals is "Jay Joseph Sabellaga" these people gather in groups of 20 or more and snag fish morning to night daily in areas of the canal from fisherman's corner to the Keith Wilson bridge.

This group is degrading to all fisherman and our public resource. We need these people off of the river for good, this is not a question of them being uneducated on the rules. They know very well and they make a mock of it online. People comment on their posts all the time telling them the rules and what they are doing is wrong. But they will not change. I have seen what they do in person before and it disgusts me.

In fact this individual Jay is the one responsible for the closure of the vedder crossing, it was his online video of dragging wild sockeye that went viral.

Yes i know there are rivers you can keep wild coho I do not need to hear it. There is enough evidence to show their wrongdoings.

I please encourage all of you to report this illegal behavior.

I am not exposing anything not publicly known, you can see all this for yourself on the public Facebook page I will link here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/935028990718369
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 08:38:19 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: KASNAGGERS FB Group Enough is Enough
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 09:11:34 PM »

I share your frustration Darko. Unfortunately this will continue til DFO do their job. Asking fishermen to report fishing infractions to the RAPP line is a joke. What's the point if they don't respond.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 09:56:09 PM »

I've only looked at this page once. It's disturbing.

Facebook has standards about what's published and if they do promote illegal activity they should be notified. If it is that bad it should be taken down.

People should start complaining.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Phronesis

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2024, 10:18:00 AM »

I had reported this group long ago and nothing happened. Someone just posted a pic of coho and states that he caught a red spring smh

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2024, 10:40:35 AM »

Yari na!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Y'all sure that group isn't just trolling for bites?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2024, 11:01:13 AM »

They’re definitely trolling but I don’t think they see the damage they are doing. I think a few of the elders from this group should smarten up a few of the idiots before they are subject to violence.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2024, 02:02:21 PM »

I had a look - it's mostly trolling. There is very little that overtly promotes illegal activity. It' still disgusting.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2024, 07:25:01 PM »

Ya I'm not a fan of this group either. There attitude is shocking and very demoralizing. It highlights the flaws and the lack of willingness to do something by dfo. Personally I'm not sure what can be done or will be done. This group has been around years, and they never stop. It's very disheartening. I've tried talking to them on the river but they are always in numbers and highly discourage friendly reminders.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2024, 09:31:29 PM »

Are you guys falling for the bait or getting snagged by it? They’re joking. The name supposedly means anti-snaggers. You ever notice when they also encourage using soft beads and short leaders?

Jay isn’t a saint as seen by the golden salmon incident but that group is nowhere near the level of poaching that really goes on in BC.

I guarantee none of the 20 guys you see at fisherman’s corner are snagging vedder sockeye at night for sturgeon bait, gutting and chucking dozens of all species for roe, fishing the Fraser and lillooet for spring/summer chinook, lingcod/rock fish in the howe sound, gear on the Coq, worms on the Skagit and using bait for steelhead on all rivers province wide with barbs including the Thompson. All of the above is still happening daily.

Bob Hooton just posted an exposé on Facebook showing one group of netters on the Skeena leaving 40 cut steelhead heads at a boat launch and here you all are crying about some people joking about snagging hatchery salmon? Can someone tell me why nobody is crying about real issues affecting BC fish?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2024, 09:47:24 AM »

Are you guys falling for the bait or getting snagged by it? They’re joking. The name supposedly means anti-snaggers. You ever notice when they also encourage using soft beads and short leaders?

Jay isn’t a saint as seen by the golden salmon incident but that group is nowhere near the level of poaching that really goes on in BC.

I guarantee none of the 20 guys you see at fisherman’s corner are snagging vedder sockeye at night for sturgeon bait, gutting and chucking dozens of all species for roe, fishing the Fraser and lillooet for spring/summer chinook, lingcod/rock fish in the howe sound, gear on the Coq, worms on the Skagit and using bait for steelhead on all rivers province wide with barbs including the Thompson. All of the above is still happening daily.

Bob Hooton just posted an exposé on Facebook showing one group of netters on the Skeena leaving 40 cut steelhead heads at a boat launch and here you all are crying about some people joking about snagging hatchery salmon? Can someone tell me why nobody is crying about real issues affecting BC fish?

No they do not use short leaders or float fishing techniques. They snag actively every day and everyone knows that, either from videos or seeing in person. Encouraging this illegal behavior online and not getting repercussions is more damaging than you know. Some will see it as a sign that nobody cares about breaking the law and start doing so themselves. Of course there are worse illegal activities happening but we don't see them in person or online so how can we say something we are unaware of? The fact that such a blatant case of not following the law is going on for so long shows me that other criminals are definitely going to get away with whatever they have schemed. If you share all those cases of criminal activity, we can all read about it and become more educated.

Ya I'm not a fan of this group either. There attitude is shocking and very demoralizing. It highlights the flaws and the lack of willingness to do something by dfo. Personally I'm not sure what can be done or will be done. This group has been around years, and they never stop. It's very disheartening. I've tried talking to them on the river but they are always in numbers and highly discourage friendly reminders.
100%
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

1stlite

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2024, 11:51:05 AM »

I don't post here much, but I know there's a group on the Vedder that fish close together in tight quarters (fishing buddies) that usually fish the "meatholes". With them huddled together, they can sometimes hide where the fish was (foul) hooked. They will fish unconventional methods, long leaders, ripping their lines at the end of a drift, etc. to try and floss/line a fish. For some of them in their mind makes them think they are a top rod on the river whatever and however they can. In my mind, it's a disgusting way to fish. I try and stay away from this crowd. If by chance you are fishing near other anglers that are doing what I have mentioned, you should mention it to other legit anglers around you and maybe if enough take note they will all know this group are fishing in unethical methods.
Going to get crowded out there the in next few weeks. Don't let these Beaks crowd you and then let the their buddies in next to them. Have a nice day! 

banx

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024, 10:24:37 AM »

hopefully this doesn't lead to violence. 

jim

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2024, 07:22:22 AM »

I saw 2 FOC peeps in their uniforms arrive under the bridge at the crossing pool, late yesterday morning. One had a cup of coffee in the hand, as they stayed up on the bank, and I never did see them check any fish retained, hooks, license, etc.

bj23

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2024, 11:28:02 AM »

Exactly. Falling for the bait, getting snagged or tripping over the line. You've been had. Wake up!

Phronesis

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2024, 12:12:21 PM »

Exactly. Falling for the bait, getting snagged or tripping over the line. You've been had. Wake up!

When they post wild coho and sockeye pictures, its no longer "funny", mainly because there are many newbies who think this is all good.