Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2024 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 33498 times)

Jk47

Agreed. Unfortunately our current liberal/NDP government does whatever they want, makes up their own rules, and enables everyone from addicts to murderers to terrorists to walk and thrive in our streets without consequence. And now today surprise surprise it looks like they’re doing everything possible to cheat. What a joke. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
Not to hijack this fishery thread, but point in case in this ironic article this morning I saw shortly after this post was made:
https://youtu.be/30Am6Xm39NY?si=bdAj8ByYRY-deb4l

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

A bigger issue is what is happening with getting power boats off the river? Last I heard the Mayor of Chilliwack was pursuing that. There's no need for them there since the river is so easily accessible.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

bj23

Agreed. Unfortunately our current liberal/NDP government does whatever they want, makes up their own rules, and enables everyone from addicts to murderers to terrorists to walk and thrive in our streets without consequence. And now today surprise surprise it looks like they’re doing everything possible to cheat. What a joke. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

I really don't know WTF it's going to take for governments to act on this street situation. The general public is paying the price and is reaching their level of tolerance. Maybe a direct response to the street carnage will get some governments' attention.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibilty about 6 inces now, still very high. Lickman parking lot open now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water slowly dropping, landed 2 chum salmon that included a fresh run doe. Also a wild colored buck coho salmon, all on roe bags. Visibility nearing a foot.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Water slowly dropping, landed 2 chum salmon that included a fresh run doe. Also a wild colored buck coho salmon, all on roe bags. Visibility nearing a foot.

Really appreciate the reports Chris. :) :)

clarki

• Old Timer

To echo Chris, water vis was nearing 12” by the end of the day.

We found coho in side channels that responded well to spinners. Ironically, these side channels were part of the river mainstem prior to the 2021 atmospheric river. Now… they are dry except when rainfall events like the one this weekend cause the river to spill over.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water visibility was around 1', with that silty green colour going on as others have mentioned. I got out at 1pm this afternoon, 24 hours after arriving back from Australia to cure the jet lag. ;D First cast with the spoon, a nice coho grabbed it on the drop which took me by surprise. I fought it for five seconds before the line went loose. Thinking I had lost it, I dropped the rod down until I realized it had swam to my feet. Once I picked up all the slack, fought it for a few more seconds, it popped off by the beach. Second fish came soon after that, grabbing a spinner. This one cooperated more, came into the net pretty quickly. A 5lb or so wild fish. The rest of the week should only get better.

https://youtube.com/shorts/t4n8Lpb50MA

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water condirions were perfect this morning with a good number of nice coho salmon taken but so many chum salmon beating the coho salmon to our offerings.

I landed 5 chum salmon and two wild coho salmon. One would have been close to 8 pounds that was my largest of the season.

My arms are still sore from playing so many chum. All anglers were short floating and most were handling the salmon in a proper manner prior to release with many using nets.

Some anglers were having success with beads while I fished both roe bags and roe.

I was able to bring home one jack coho salmon for supper, time for a nap now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water conditions continue to be good on dropping water levels. I did not get to the river until 8:30 and of course the river was very busy however the spot I wanted to fish was vacant on my side of the river.

The situation this morning was to get by so many chum in the system right now, they certainly liked by roe bags so I switched to straight roe with no wool and it seemed to help some.

I found the odd coho salmon willing to bury my float and I ended up with a nice hatchery buck to take home for supper. I also landed a hatchery jack coho salmon I wanted to release but was bleeding a bit so decided to retain it.

I lost another hatchery coho salmon at the beach. The bite was on and off when I left the river at 11. From reports I got from some other anglers the fishing in our area had slowed from yesterday.

Phronesis

Water conditions continue to be good on dropping water levels. I did not get to the river until 8:30 and of course the river was very busy however the spot I wanted to fish was vacant on my side of the river.

The situation this morning was to get by so many chum in the system right now, they certainly liked by roe bags so I switched to straight roe with no wool and it seemed to help some.

I found the odd coho salmon willing to bury my float and I ended up with a nice hatchery buck to take home for supper. I also landed a hatchery jack coho salmon I wanted to release but was bleeding a bit so decided to retain it.

I lost another hatchery coho salmon at the beach. The bite was on and off when I left the river at 11. From reports I got from some other anglers the fishing in our area had slowed from yesterday.

Thanks a lot for the report Chris, guess with chum opening on 26th, a lot more crowd will show up this weekend.

rymack

• I'm a llama!

If by chance anyone was out near the heron reserve this morning i left my behind telescoping , rubber meshed net( cant recall the brand off hand).
Let me know if you came across it .

Thanks

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

If by chance anyone was out near the heron reserve this morning i left my behind telescoping , rubber meshed net( cant recall the brand off hand).

Thanks
Good idea to post on the lost and found thread on this forum too.

vancook

• Old Timer

Thanks

I'm heading out tomorrow. I'll Keep an eye out, shoot you a message on FB if I find it

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I've had an enjoyable week of fishing after getting back from Australia on Monday, even though water conditions have not been ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFASQ20xRPM