Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2024 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 9620 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

......Karen's are one thing.....another is wally the wader that walks half way across a 30 ft run to crowd and spook  :-X all the fish....can't  anybody cast?....low and clear calls for stealth....not to mention a dozen guys on a fifty ft long run mid day low tide pounding it like a surrey girl on sat nite....  :o
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Darko

• Old Timer

Had an angler walk past me the other morning and try and call me out for fishing too early. I had been standing for 20-30 mins in the dark, waiting past the “1 hr before sunrise” rule (sunrise this particular morning was officially 6:45 and the time of the encounter was approximately 6 a.m.).
It was literally my first test cast to peel a bit of line off my pin and get the bearings moving, check my float visibility, etc… and buddy pops out from behind the bushes like a special ops. I wasn’t even technically fishing yet, just getting the kinks out and prepping. And besides I was fully legal to fish by at least 15 minutes. Just a reminder to people to educate yourself on the rules  and to not spout off if you don’t know what your talking about. Tight lines ;)
yea it's crazy how many people do not know the laws.. One time when pinks were open 2021 in the fraser I came to a spot with about 15 people waiting to cast and it was 15 m before official sunrise and when I casted two of them said like "hey you aren't allowed to fish yet". I told them you are allowed to fish one hour before official sunrise and they all looked flabbergasted.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

DanL

• Old Timer

Had an angler walk past me the other morning and try and call me out for fishing too early.

I'll bet he thought the you couldn't start until sunrise because the wording on the DFO web page changed a couple years ago. Where it used to explicitly say one hour before/after sun etc, now it just say 'daylight hours'. Of course that means the same +/- 1 hour, but the formal definition of 'daylight hours' is on a separate DFO web page that's not even linked from the region 2 web page.

I had the same debate in pre-dawn a couple seasons ago. It was friendly, but the current wording might be the source of some confusion...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

I wonder how many people mark their licence after catching a chinook. Last year we were at a popular run and there were quite a few chinooks caught. Not one guy marked their licence.

Darko

• Old Timer

I wonder how many people mark their licence after catching a chinook. Last year we were at a popular run and there were quite a few chinooks caught. Not one guy marked their licence.
This has been my experience aswell.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

DanL

• Old Timer

FYI there appears to be a typo on the DFO Region 2 webpage

All retained coho must measure 35 cm or more

Pretty sure that used to say 25 cm?

Also in waters that have the 2 adult + 2 jack limit (like the Norrish or Stave) you can no longer retain jacks with the current wording. ie:

Norrish (Suicide) Creek | Coho | Sep 1 to Dec 31 | 4 hatchery marked per day, only 2 over 35 cm

Jk47

He is probably jealous.
Did you catch any fish though?
As a matter of fact I did manage a Chinook jack that morning about a half hour later. Only fish I’ve brought to hand in many outings in the last couple weeks.

Phronesis

As a matter of fact I did manage a Chinook jack that morning about a half hour later. Only fish I’ve brought to hand in many outings in the last couple weeks.

Nice, still better than nothing.

Cyanescens

Also in waters that have the 2 adult + 2 jack limit (like the Norrish or Stave) you can no longer retain jacks with the current wording. ie:
[/quote]

That means only 2 of the 4 can be above 35. you could retain 4 jacks if you wanted (and no adults). or 3+1 or 2+2

DanL

• Old Timer

FYI there appears to be a typo on the DFO Region 2 webpage

Pretty sure that used to say 25 cm?

The web page has been fixed now and has been changed from 35 cm to 25 cm

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The web page has been fixed now and has been changed from 35 cm to 25 cm

Dan did you email them about it to get it changed?

Sounds like the chinook salmon fishing is finally picking up. Here is one before the rush on Sept 4th. ;D

DanL

• Old Timer

Dan did you email them about it to get it changed?

No, not me. I just happen to notice the edit when I refreshed the page this afternoon...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Someone there probably read your post. ;)