Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2024 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 13389 times)

fic

• Old Timer

Landed a chum today, fairly chrome too.
Wow, that's really early!

roeman

Wow, that's really early!
thats what I thought also, but seen chum in every run on the Harrison today.
Are you fishin or catchin

redside1

amazing what returns when multiple commercial & rec fisheries are closed. The Big Bar and Chilcotin slides may help out a lot of other weaker runs with closures.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

amazing what returns when multiple commercial & rec fisheries are closed. The Big Bar and Chilcotin slides may help out a lot of other weaker runs with closures.

DFO haven't received the memo yet.

fic

• Old Timer

Another factor this year is some Alaska fisheries have crashed so they were out less often and didn't have much time scooping up the Fraser fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

there have been closures related to the Big Bar slide since it happened. I haven't heard of a closure related to the Chilcotin slide since most of those runs have already been covered by other closures; ie the Fraser has been closed to sockeye this year & last year.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Took a drive down the Vedder canal dyke road from the KWB bridge down to the Hwy bridge. Signs there at the KWB entrance way saying NO PARKING - unauthorized vehicles will be towed. 1/2 way down heavy equipment is moving a giant mound of dirt building a roadway to access the canal for gravel extraction. At the other end of the Dyke roadway just past the highway bridge there are ROAD CLOSED signs. Plan accordingly if you’re wanting to fish the canal this fall. Looks like the gravel extraction work is going to take awhile in that area.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 09:10:05 AM by Wiseguy »

fic

• Old Timer

People were being ticketed parking on Boundary Road south of Keith Wilson Bridge.  It's a 25 minute walk from Fisherman's corner parking lot to the KWB though. ::)

The construction crew closed the parking on the dykes while they work.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

People were being ticketed parking on Boundary Road south of Keith Wilson Bridge.

The construction crew closed the parking on the dykes while they work.
Yes. The heavy haul trucks are using the dyke road to access and egress the construction zone. Cars on Boundary are parked illegally impeding regular traffic. What a zoo. City bylaw officer and tow truck drivers dream come true!  ::)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat

Water is low and clear, fish can be seen but most are scared and tight lipped.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Oh but you missed out after you left us yesterday....

Kidding, you missed nothing lol...

Jk47

Fish were moving this morning and seemed a bit less tight lipped for a couple hours. I have yet to hook a hatchery coho this year. Couple wilds. Lots of springs. Multiple chum reports from others I’ve talked to as well, dirty ones too. Guess they’ve been stacking up a bit waiting for a sniff of rain. Todays 100% rain forecast for a few hours should hopefully open the river up a bit and disperse some fish.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat

Oh but you missed out after you left us yesterday....

Kidding, you missed nothing lol...

It was a good trade for my beauty sleep then!  ;)

Water was still pretty low and clear by the time I left around noon I suspect it might need a couple more hours of steady rain to see any difference

DanL

• Old Timer

Cars on Boundary are parked illegally impeding regular traffic.

When I drove by the other day, some cars were parked completely blocking that shoulder which I think is a pedestrian/cycling lane, so no surprise they got busted.

You got to park so your whole vehicle is off the pavement, or expected to get ticketed, or worse.

fic

• Old Timer

I think previous years, they closed 1 side of the dyke at a time at the KWB.  This time they closed both at the same time and caused this havoc.