Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2024 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 28389 times)

vancook

• Old Timer

Fishing was a little better today than yesterday, of course with no float down yesterday one chance would be more encouraging. Water was up a tad as well yesterday with good visibilty even with the rain we had yesterday.

To conserve roe I went with roe bags for the most part this morning, of course not as messy as well, my wife hates the smell of roe in the house. Trying to reach 60 years of marriage in a few months from now, so centainly do not want to threaten that milestone in our lives. Bringing a fish home helps too. I think back to when I first started fishing the Vedder River in the 1970's it took me a while to catch my fitrst coho salmon but teaching from the Master finaly paid off.

The first two chances this morning saw 2 coho lost after a brief tussle. The second was a nice chrome fish and the coho salmon was pleased to gain its freedom while it ws airborne.

My third opportunity was more succesful with a nice hatchery buck coho salmon coming to hand.

That was the only activity for me so time to give something back to the river. I went down to the two gravel bars below KWB to do a litter cleanup that I had planned to do yesterday afternoon but did not.

It was not too bad as only got 3 quarters a garbage bag filled, litter that will not end up in the ocean during the next high water event. There is litter along the dyke road where people toss their coffee cups etc. but too tired to tackle it today.

Fishing appeared to be slow in this area as only saw 3 fish on the beach for maybe 40 or so anglers. Maybe the salmon run is starting to slow down from what it has been a few days ago.

Thanks for the report Chris. It's great to be able to read your reports again after so long without. Reminds me of the old days on the forum 15 years ago with constant posts and discussion taking place.

sockeyed

not a lot of coho around in the lower river run i was fishing this morning. chum are in thick however!

Chum Slayer

The invasion begins............

Darko

• Old Timer

not a lot of coho around in the lower river run i was fishing this morning. chum are in thick however!
any fresh chinooks in the mix?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I am back on the river once again this morning. I find once I start getting up early for a few days I cannot fall back to sleep after getting up around 5 O' clock each morning. Of course I have to creep out of the house so not too wake my sleeping wife. It also appears to me if she beats me up she may find some chores to do before I leave for the fishing grounds.

First stop is at McDonald to take advantage of the $1.30 medium coffee,no lineup in the drive through this morning so I get to the river too early to walk to the run. I see lots of head lamps worn by many anglers already rushing to the river to their favourite spot.

I sit in the Leaf Mobile enjoying my coffee and listen to the CBC and the trafic reports. I feel for those caught up in trafic jams each morning, heading to their work place. I imagine some are anglers wishing they were heading fishing instead. Those days are past history for me now, for 26 years. Of course at 81 I wonder how many years I will be able to walk to the river with one bad knee these days. I am glad it does not presently bother me too much as I am still able to play badminton up to 3 days a week.

As I gather up my fishing gear I wonder what the the fish bite will be this morning, of course fishing the Vedder for 50 years it can be slow one day and then the following day it is very good. No matter just getting out is rewarding in itself.

Daybreak is not far away and as I walk out to the river, a slight rain shower had begun. I always remember my grandmother telling me better fishing in the rain. I hope it does not rain too hard as I have left my rain coat in the Leaf Mobile. When I reach the run I am going to fish I see it has come up maybe an inch from yesterday.

Glacucous seagulls are also arriving at the river, eager to feed on the decaying chum salmon who have completed their spawning cycle. I feel sorry for them but that is life and we all will face the same fate as the dhum salmon I see laying in the shallows. I notice there is a good number of them which is a good sign fior the future generation of fish.

Today I have decided to fish roe bags, I have about 10 tied up. It is a good I did as the bite is on right away and I lose 3 adult coho salmon in a row. Maybe the roe bags are hanging too low off the hook and have not fiound the main part of the hook. Should I be putting it in the bait loop I wonder? The next fish is a jack coho salmon that falls off in the shallows as I try to determine if it wild or hatchery.

I am getting a bit frustrated at this point as I miss a few more take downs. The next chance sees a large salmon peeling line of the Avon Supreme, will this one stay on? Then i wonder if it is a chinook salmon or a chum salmon.

The salmon is going up and down river for a good 10 minutes before I see it is indeed a chinook salmon looks close to 20 pounds, will my 8 pound 14 inch long leader hold is the next question. It does and I slide it ashore, a doe chinook. I bleed the fish which is important not only to improve the flesh but makes the roe much better for curing with pro cure that I use.

I settle into my lawn chair to mark the fish down on my fishing license. The first pen is too damp and I cannot record the fish, glad I have a second pen that does work.

The bite continues on and off, a few more fish lost but finaly I land a nice 5 pound hatchery coho salmon to complete my day, most likely the best of the season for me.

With the forcast for heavy rain by the weekend that will blow the river out it is good to take advantage when the river is in good shape, especialy for short floaters like me.

I head out to take advantage of the early voting, make all reading this thread get out and exercise your franchise too, it is very important to do so.

I end the day by just beating the rise in gas prices here in Chilliwack as it jumped to 172.9 from what I filled up at,156.9. I saved close to $15, the end of a perfect day in more than one way.

Thanks for reading The Journal on Fishing with Rod and hope you have good fishing in the days ahead.

fisherforever

It's great to see you writing the journal again Chris and knowing you're back out on the flow. I moved away from Chilliwack 18 months ago to fufill a promise I made to my ex wife before she passed away and that was to be here for my kids and grand children,
The river and a few people are all that I miss from there now. It's great up here. I walk out my back door 50 yds and I'm fishing coho, chinook, pinks and cutthroat trout and the prawn and crab fishing in the salt chuck is great too. Next time you're talking to the Master ask him where I've gone. Gord.
PS I'll have to look through my hat collection to see if I have another Leafs hat to send your way.

milo

• Old Timer

Great reports Chris! I'm glad you are back.  :)
This thread was awfully dull without you.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

You liven up this place Chris! Thanks for your great report. I enjoy reading it. Take care.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fishing was good again for a couple of hours before the bite died off. My landing effort was very poor this morning with one small spring and a number of jack coho salmon landed no jacks retained. I lost a few adult coho salmon but that is fishing.

I noticed a lot of chum salmon in the system today which is a good sign, a side channel has a good number spawning and they were busy digging their redds.

It looks like we will have one more day of good fishing conditions before the rain will end the fishing for those that fish in a manner to make the salmon bite.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

How have the Arm Chair and the Diving Board runs been this season ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

How have the Arm Chair and the Diving Board runs been this season ?
I did take some in the DB but is very crowded these days when I took a look,they get there so early.

htdub

Been out the last few weekends, and it’s been walking thru the beginner process with my friend. We’ve
avoided the busy spots to give her room and others to fish. She’s had a a few fish on but nothing to hand until Monday.

after a morning of breaking off springs, she got her first coho in the downpour.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 05:54:35 PM by htdub »

Darko

• Old Timer

what are the chances the river is fishable Saturday morning? My weather app is showing 17 mm of rain Friday night , 61 mm Saturday! and 28 mm Sunday.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

what are the chances the river is fishable Saturday morning? My weather app is showing 17 mm of rain Friday night , 61 mm Saturday! and 28 mm Sunday.
Might hang on for a bit early, you better take the day off tomorrow.

Darko

• Old Timer

Might hang on for a bit early, you better take the day off tomorrow.
help me convince my professor to reschedule my exam  ;D