Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Fishing  (Read 1914 times)

Canadian Anglerz

Coho Fishing
« on: October 06, 2024, 08:41:12 PM »

Hi All,

Went after Coho for the first time Saturday and was lucky enough to catch two keepers, I was using straight braid and a Rod I normally use for LMB when I am pulling them out of the weeds.
I was told that Coho are line shy and everyone that heard about the braid was shocked they took the spoon while using braid, looking for suggestions on a Coho Rod and Reel combo for throwing spoons and spinners, where to purchase and what line would be best.

Thanks,

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Coho Fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 08:59:27 AM »

so where was this, the Vedder?

Places to buy a suitable rod & reel; Fred's Tackle in Abbotsford or Chilliwack; Hatch Matchers in Haney, Berrys Bait & Tackle on Westminster Highway in Richmond. Also Cabelas, Bass Pro and Canadian Tire though getting good advice might be a little harder.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

jim

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 09:18:16 AM »

A reasonable priced outfit that I use, should be available is a 9' 6" Trophy rod ($165) and a Shimano SLX 150 reel. using 12 lb test. I got my rod at chilliwack dart and tackle. the SLX is light in weight, the rod has a cork handle.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 09:41:29 AM »

I use a Fenwick Eagle EA86MS-4 8.5 ft 4 piece with a Shimano Nasci 4000xg loaded with 20lb power pro braid. The rod was about $130. The reel and line were over 200.

You can probably buy a combo for $100 or less that will last a few seasons.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2024, 11:26:42 AM »

Hi All,

Went after Coho for the first time Saturday and was lucky enough to catch two keepers, I was using straight braid and a Rod I normally use for LMB when I am pulling them out of the weeds.
I was told that Coho are line shy and everyone that heard about the braid was shocked they took the spoon while using braid, looking for suggestions on a Coho Rod and Reel combo for throwing spoons and spinners, where to purchase and what line would be best.

Thanks,
you can land coho on any rod as you saw, for budget around 100 or less go with an ugly stick combo, if you want a nicer combo get a shimano clarus or similar rod 8'6 8-15 lb rating or something like that and any decent 80-120$ 2000-3000 series reel.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2024, 06:06:59 PM »

Just bought a 9 foot Diawa Metallia spinning rod from Fred’s Custom Tackle. Pretty sweet stick. 219.95 retail price. I paired it with my Shimano Sedona 2500 loaded with 20 pd braid. 114.99 retail price.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 06:08:30 PM by Wiseguy »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 01:11:56 PM »

I was told that Coho are line shy and everyone that heard about the braid was shocked they took the spoon while using braid[
I think the fact you caught 2 shows that the sensitivity to line is often overstated. There's a big shiny chunk of metal flying at them with hooks, swivels, etc dangling off of it, yet a thin strand of braid will spook them? Unlikely.  That's not even accounting for all the debris that's already flying past them.

However if it bothers you, put a short 2-3' section of mono at the end for 'visibility'. You should do that anyways because if you snag up, you wont break off and leave a huge section of braid behind

Same with float fishing. Lots of people use braid successfully all the time. a short leader is enough render any visibility concerns moot.  Though again, I've not heard any rationale why a 1 oz chunk of lead doesnt bother coho yet the mainline will