Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe Preference  (Read 2089 times)

roeman

Roe Preference
« on: October 09, 2024, 08:37:35 PM »

Fresh or does previously frozen work just as good?
Which type? Chum, Spring, Coho, Pink, Sockeye, Steelhead?
Or does is not matter if prepared correctly.
Are you fishin or catchin

Phronesis

Re: Roe Preference
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2024, 09:16:11 PM »

in my very limited experience, previously frozen roe works just as good as fresh one, never compared both in a single day to know the difference though, my other reasoning is if they bite artificial beads why would they care if its fresh or frozen eggs

SuperBobby

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2024, 10:01:19 PM »

I find that Coho will bite Spring roe, but they seem to prefer pink roe the best....they like their own roe too.....just my own experience.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2024, 10:41:58 PM »

Only use chinook, chum and coho roe.

Jelly_

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2024, 11:52:00 PM »

A buddy of mine has some frozen uncured roe which he plans to give me. I have never cured roe before and was wondering how you would cure them?

jim

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2024, 04:52:02 AM »

i think they have developed some newer cure for frozen roe, do some reading of labels, to find which one. cures can take 1 to 5 days. lots of cures ask to air dry the roe chunks for various lengths of time; 1 hour each side to 36 hours total. depends on fan or no fan, temperature.

jim

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 05:02:54 AM »

my favorites are steelhead, coho, pink, sockeye, due to the small size, and stays on the hook longer. Pink roe you can dye pink, the others red or orange only. Chinook and chum roe is another that can be dyed pink, but makes better single eggs. there can be a lot of waste as very few eggs have skein to attach to. saltwater caught springs and chum have a smaller size and more skein attachment than the river caught fish do.
 I like the BorXofire product as it toughens the skein nicely. Look up Fish Hunt Northwest on youtube for his modified recipes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2024, 10:16:24 AM »

Fresh roe straight out of the fish with no cure (or used within a day or so) is by far the best and the reason why there has been a debate for many decades about use  roe & debate about banning it , which by the way it was for about 10 years in the way back when.

I had the experience of using roe right out of freshly killed fish once and it was incredible. I have also seen it a time or too used by other anglers. Ditto.

The effectiveness of fresh roe is also why there is such fastidiousness about handling and curing roe; using gloves, avoiding contact with chlorinated water, type of curing agent, yada yada.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2024, 01:11:57 PM »

Fresh roe straight out of the fish with no cure (or used within a day or so) is by far the best and the reason why there has been a debate for many decades about use  roe & debate about banning it , which by the way it was for about 10 years in the way back when.

I had the experience of using roe right out of freshly killed fish once and it was incredible. I have also seen it a time or too used by other anglers. Ditto.

The effectiveness of fresh roe is also why there is such fastidiousness about handling and curing roe; using gloves, avoiding contact with chlorinated water, type of curing agent, yada yada.
I'll try this weekend if I get a doe. A week ago i had three fish killed all female and no cured roe and didnt end up trying the fresh roe and now regret it XD.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

bj23

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2024, 01:06:51 PM »

Fresh or properly cured.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2024, 11:13:25 AM »

I dont think anyone can say with certainty that frozen roe works exactly as good as fresh, but if it doesnt, it's got to be close. Every good roe fisherman I know uses frozen with confidence and has plenty of success.

Even if frozen is marginally less effective, it's simply not worth worrying about IMHO. The convenience of being able to use and re-use frozen roe far outweighs a few percentage points of effectiveness (if that)

Of course it presumes the frozen has been stored properly and not freezer burned, dried out etc. I have used vacuum packed cured roe that is several years old and it still looks great IMHO

As for species, I think they all work equally well or close to it (except for sockeye, which I have never tried). I prefer spring or chum because I use sacs and those are easier to tie with, but will use any species roe with full confidence. If I am getting outfished, I will wager that it's due to some other factor that's the overwhelming difference other than species of roe.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2024, 03:11:26 PM »

I like my roe in this order:

1.Coho
2.Sockeye
3.Pink
4.Chum
5.Chinook

I'm talking salmon caviar (ikura), of course. So no Borax nor Procure, please.

So tasty! It's no wonder all creatures in a river habitat go crazy for it. If you're not alert, a seagull will steal

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2024, 03:46:15 PM »

I like my roe in this order:

1.Coho
2.Sockeye
3.Pink
4.Chum
5.Chinook

I'm talking salmon caviar (ikura), of course. So no Borax nor Procure, please.

So tasty! It's no wonder all creatures in a river habitat go crazy for it. If you're not alert, a seagull will steal
Actually last year a seagull ate a whole 2 * 3 inch chunk of my hatchery coho  ;D. I've learned my lesson since then...
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin