Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet Boats  (Read 1775 times)

dave c

Re: Jet Boats
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2024, 02:44:58 PM »

Ralph FWIW i just emailed DFO... Will advise of any follow up from them.
Hello,

Thank you for your email. 
A report has been generated and sent out.

Thank you,

Ian Lampman
Radio Room Operator
Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Pêches et Océans Canada
Pacific Region | Région du Pacifique
5550 268 Street, Langley
Phone | Téléphone: (604)-607-4186
Email | Courriel: Ian.Lampman@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Response from DFO

roeman

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2024, 03:43:37 PM »

Regs show no power boats in the Kitimat.  Not a myth...
Are you fishin or catchin

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2024, 04:57:47 AM »

GordJ we used to fish the Bella Coola (and  Atnarko) river from the drift boat many moons ago and I always thought it was a gentleman’s agreement between the recreational fishermen and the local First Nations fishermen that there would be no fishing from power boats in the Bella Coola. Some days we’d go into town for lunch and we’d watch the First Nations guys set their gillnets from their rowboats. It was kinda cool to watch.

redside1

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2024, 11:45:18 AM »

There are 2 different regulations for power boats in the Bella Coola/Atnarko system and it looks like you could jet around the Bella Coola but have to get out of the boat to fish.

1) No angling from powered boats on mainstems of Atnarko River and Bella Coola River
2) No powered boats on Atnarko River, from Goat Creek to the confluence with Talchako River

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2024, 04:34:58 PM »

Ah ok we only ever brought the drift boat. When I asked why the local First Nations were using row boats while drifting their nets I was told it was because of an agreement they had with the rec sector. Only ever saw nets on the Bella Coola. Atnarko would be a tough river, if not impossible,  to drift a gill net down.

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2024, 09:40:37 PM »

Regs show no power boats in the Kitimat.  Not a myth...
Can you show me where you found this? I couldn't find anything. Oops, I see that it is in the fishing regs. And that brings me to my "I'm not fishing " question.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2024, 09:55:17 PM by GordJ »

GordJ

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2024, 09:53:41 PM »

There are 2 different regulations for power boats in the Bella Coola/Atnarko system and it looks like you could jet around the Bella Coola but have to get out of the boat to fish.

1) No angling from powered boats on mainstems of Atnarko River and Bella Coola River
2) No powered boats on Atnarko River, from Goat Creek to the confluence with Talchako River
I think that it was the Bella Coola where I phoned the RCMP to find out if this was a real rule or, like has been mentioned, a "gentlemen's agreement". This is another area of confusion for me, what if I don't fish? Am I supposed to follow these regs or are they for anglers only. There is a lot of boaters who don't angle and I can't imagine that they are expected to look up the fishing and hunting regs when they are not fishing or hunting? If I have never had a fishing rod in my hands and wanted to go up the Atnarko am I allowed to? I can't imagine that a ticket would hold up in court if there is no signage to indicate no boating? I am not trying to skirt around the regs, I am just trying to understand them.

redside1

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2024, 07:22:28 AM »

I would take the "No Angling from power boats" to mean you can't fish out of either a drifting or anchored boat with a motor on it.
I would think one could jet around and stop, get out of boat and fish.
The other regulation is quite clear, no power boats on the Atnarko. reads pretty simple.

stsfisher

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2024, 12:20:44 PM »

I think that it was the Bella Coola where I phoned the RCMP to find out if this was a real rule or, like has been mentioned, a "gentlemen's agreement". This is another area of confusion for me, what if I don't fish? Am I supposed to follow these regs or are they for anglers only. There is a lot of boaters who don't angle and I can't imagine that they are expected to look up the fishing and hunting regs when they are not fishing or hunting? If I have never had a fishing rod in my hands and wanted to go up the Atnarko am I allowed to? I can't imagine that a ticket would hold up in court if there is no signage to indicate no boating? I am not trying to skirt around the regs, I am just trying to understand them.

Actually a pretty valid question GordJ. I suppose if one of the region offices should be able to assist with that answer.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-services/regions/pacific-region