Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin For Atlantic Salmon?  (Read 527 times)

Chum Slayer

Centerpin For Atlantic Salmon?
« on: October 22, 2024, 08:30:46 PM »

Hey guys, I was just wondering does anyone float fish for Atlantics on the other side of Canada? I was just wondering as I know fly fishing or lure fishing is the norm, but why does nobody try float fishing with a jig, or maybe a nymph under a float, like you would with trout? I mean short floating steelhead baits for them should work.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Centerpin For Atlantic Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2024, 09:23:11 PM »

It's done in the UK and Ireland. No roe or fish eggs allowed though prawns and worms are. Certainly not on all rivers but those that are slower or with muddier water  it's often allowed. Lures too particularly in the very early season.

However best I know all Provinces on the East Coast Salmon by regulation can only angled by fly fishing. In some cases with floating line only.

-----

Just wanted to add. I checked the regs (other than for Quebec) for this year. All Atlantic salmon fishing has to be done with artificial fly, no weights, no spinners etc. Other than Nova Scotia all Provinces require non-residents be in the company of a registered guide. Catch and release only with limits on how many salmon can be released in a day, from 2 to 4. An angler has to stop fishing for salmon once they have landed and released the specific limit.

Most streams in Nova Scotia are closed to salmon fishing year round. Probably the best destinations to have a chance to catch a salmon are NFLD/ Labrador and the Gaspe region of Quebec and New Brunswick.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2024, 08:03:25 AM by RalphH »
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

Roderick

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2024, 08:34:15 PM »

The reading I did about Scotland was that shrimp was totally banned, and worms are discouraged.  I didn't see anything about eggs/roe or egg pattern flys/beads. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2024, 05:37:25 AM »

Prawns are legal at least in England though it depends on the stream. In the UK almost all streams are managed by local associations or clubs and they can set rules. Most well known Scottish streams are fly only for most of the open season. Salmon eggs and roe are not legal anywhere in Europe, the UK or Ireland best I know.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain