Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser August 27th - 29th  (Read 4577 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser August 27th - 29th
« on: August 29, 2004, 11:45:51 PM »

Spent the last three days hunting for them infamous spring jacks and hatchery coho that are quietly moving through the estuary Fraser while people are still recovering from the battle further upstream. :D

Fishing methods include barfishing with roe sacs and spin fishing with spoons and spinners. Water clarity has gone down since last week, but still pretty good.

August 27th
Itosh and I fished the afternoon incoming tide. Not many risers at all. We barfished the entire time, with roe sacs because there are still thousands of coarse fish milling about. These tiny critters will chew up your roe within seconds so the mesh is used to protect your precious roe. Size 1/0 hook, 1 foot leader with a 1oz weight trailing 0.5 feet below the hook.

Pretty quiet until Itosh requested for a roe sac so I had to tie it up for him. ::) This meant I had my back against the rod so I had to turn around once awhile to check the rod. While tying it up, I turned around at one point and the rod was kicking and bending down to the holder! :o I quickly dropped what I was doing and reached for the rod but it was long gone by the time I touched it. >:( The roe sac was still intact when I reeled it in, so out it went again. Back to tying roe sacs, and turned around 20 seconds into it and the rod was doing the same thing again! :o Reached for the rod, fish long gone.... >:( Either a coho, spring jack or dolly. 8) That was it for the day.

August 28th
Fished with Chrome Mykiss, not a whole lot happened. We basically spent the entire outing sitting and chatting while the rod tips bounced away as pikeminnows and sculpins chewed on the bait. We did see some spectacular jumping action. One fish, looked like a sockeye or pink, leaped and glided on the water surface six times as it went upstream. We also saw several jacks jumping close to the shore.

August 29th
I really wanted my spring jack... Went back again for the incoming tide. This time I started out with spinning. I spent an hour casting and retrieving one of my homemade spinners with no result. One jack actually rolled two feet in front of me, go figure...

LukeYVR soon joined me after that and we decided to barfish for the rest of the evening. One other fellow was fishing a bit further up from us and finally got into a fish. I quickly grabbed my net and offered my assistance. He accepted but was still reeling his fish in furiously. He then scooped up the spring jack (roughly 3 to 4lb) with one hand and cradled it up the rock pile. The fish wiggled a bit, unhooked itself, slipped out of his hand and tumbled twice before landing in the water and swam away slowly on the surface.... ::) Always use a net folks! ;D

That was the only action of the day, unless you count the gigantic sturgeon (6 feet+) that leaped out of the water three times in front of us.... :o The last rise wasn't even a leap, it basically popped its head up long enough for us to take a good look.

That's all folks!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Lower Fraser August 27th - 29th
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 01:10:23 AM »

Good report Rodney. Isn't that always the case, fish bites when you're not paying attention.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 08:58:26 AM »

their six sense  ;)

gman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 12:42:17 PM »

Good Report Rod,

I've got a couple of questions:

- Do you ever use a bell for barfishing the lower river?

- So after those missed hits did you decide to teach Itosh how to tie up his own *^%$ roe sacks? ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »

Funny that you brought up the bell question. I don't use one at all. Yesterday LukeYVR showed up with a bell already attached to the end of his rod. I recommended him to take it off. He took it off after the bullhead and pikeminnows played around with his roe non-stop for ten minutes. ;D

Itosh doesn't like to get his hands dirty. ;D

I may go out again this evening, I have a good feeling about tonight! :) ;)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 01:51:40 PM »

rod where would u be fishing?????

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 03:08:23 PM »

rod where would u be fishing?????

Where the fish are. ;D

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 09:56:32 AM »

Were you fishing the north arm Rodney? ;D ;D You can answer yes or no  8).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 12:10:39 PM »

Been fishing both north and south actually, just trying to find the fish. :-\

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 12:57:10 PM »

Thanks Rod..........I'll try the north arm on Friday morning (my day off). Tide peaks at about 10.00 am so fishing from 7.00 am should be good hopefully. 3oz pyramid weight should be OK? Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 01:03:59 PM »

That depends on the rest of your gear actually, I only use 1oz as I am fishing with a pretty light spinning outfit. The disadvantage is that I wouldn't be able to hold in the faster, deeper water near the middle of the channel. However, I've found most of the fish are holding closer to shore.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »

nice work guys exept the part about not wanting to get roe on ya :P one method is to keep an ice cream bucket full of water at hand for rinsing hands in.Also let a few of those coho make it far enough that I can catch a few ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 01:27:50 PM »

But... the water is icy cold in October.... :-\

;D

Hey now, you intercepted my bull trout, I intercept your coho.... ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 01:34:37 PM »

ok, and you can have all the pinks too, like I have a choice ;D

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 01:42:58 PM »

Thanks for the tip leadbelly. I'll be tying those roe sacs on thursday nite  ;D ;D. Yes Rodney my one and only rod is the convergence with abu baitcaster reel already loaded with 15 lb main. 2 or 3 oz weights hold pretty steady on the spots I fish on the north arm. On Friday I will remember not to cast too far out  ;).