Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 1st 2004  (Read 4673 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, October 1st 2004
« on: October 01, 2004, 12:19:56 PM »

Wow! October already, prime time is just around the corner, yet this morning's weather was still like an early September morning. :o Anyways, fished the lower section from 6:30am until 10:30am. Bite was on from the start to around 9:30am. Gman joined me today for a short floating session. :) Shortly he arrived at where I was fishing, my float went for a dive and fish on! Moments later, first hatchery coho was on the beach (doe, around 6lb). Gman didn't even wet a line and his arms were already soaked after tailing the fish for me. ;D Soon after, the action was pretty consistent. During the first three hours or so, there was one hookup every 15 minutes or so. In total, I had 10 hits, 4 hookups (all coho), landed and released on chrome jack, kept my first coho doe, and lost the other two (one hatchery fish was ready to be tailed and popped off the hook... ::) ).

Gman was a bit luckier... or better I should say. While I was there, he got into two hatchery fish and landed both of them. One was similar to mine, while the other one was easily 8lb. Both his fish were very, very fresh. He's still fishing right now so he might be into more fish today. :)

After 9:30am, it was all over once the sun got up high. Still the odd fish rolling, but action slowed down. The odd springs were hooked, also saw one chum caught and released. Ahans was fishing in the same run as us too, but no luck for him while I was there.

All fish were hooked on last year's chum roe. Good luck this weekend folks. :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:23:42 AM by Rodney »

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
Re: Vedder River October 1st
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 12:52:29 PM »

Nice report Rod....sounds like you guys had a fun mornin"

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 01:42:20 PM »

Nice report.  Wish I was there :-\

mission

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 01:45:31 PM »

fished upper river :-X fav spot lots of action first light to 9:00 am then the sun >:( bite off...ps buddy caught what we thought was a chrome white after a really nice fight he land it but it had no adpost fin checked gill plate to our suprize red spring ;D not marble true red.talk to few fellows the said that is really rare at this time of year must be very late runner ??? any info on this fish is it rare or not ??? we did not land any coho but had 4 on all on roe.
FOB

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 04:09:04 PM »

i also caught 1 hatchery red spring approx 10 lb,i heard that you sent the head back to the hatchery,and they can find out it actually where it came from and they will get you a pin too,but i am not sure about that,anybody know more about this?? ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 04:13:50 PM »

Salmonid Head Recovery Program. Returned the head of hatchery clipped fish to the participating tackle shops. You will receive a pin and be eligible for a cash prize. You will be required to fill out a short form with the following information: Name and address of angler (so they can send you information where the fish originated from, and the aforementioned pin), where caught, size of salmon (length and weight)

d_w

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 04:19:40 PM »

Thanks for the report rod, sounds like you had a pretty good day
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Toprod

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 04:38:03 PM »

I fished a mid river spot yesterday evening. The fish started hitting about 45 minutes before dark, I landed a chrome whitey around 15 lbs that I released. I also kept one 6 lb hatchery coho, and released a much larger wild one. All were caught on pink Jensen eggs, short floated.

gman

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 04:40:16 PM »

That was a fun morning. ;D After I arrived Rod had one hit after another and I had none and I started to wonder if my roe was bad or maybe I was not as skilled as the master or...?  ???. Kept at it and then on one drift my float bobbed for just a moment - I tried to set the hook but nothing there. Next cast to the same spot and fish on. I was surprised at how bright the fish was - exactly like coho I've caught in the salt. A little later got the second bigger one. After that it slowed down and I caught no more fish after Rod left. Saw a number of springs hooked by others in the area but no more coho as the sun rose. My fish were caught on Barry's roe in bags, with a bit of white wool.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 04:44:32 PM by gman »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 09:58:47 PM »

Our catches today. :)

By looking at the size of the gravel, I'm sure it's not difficult to figure out which run we were fishing at. ;D

F4L, I don't bring luck, people are just better than me. :)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 10:01:32 PM »

nice fish Rod,maybe I will get lucky tommorow ???what pound test leader you using?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 10:03:19 PM »

Not sure, I had this braided line in my pocket.... ;)

8lb test Maxima UG. :)

Good luck tomorrow, are you in the derby? :)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 10:09:08 PM »

oh ya the derby hey maybe I will buy a ticket at freds tommorow ;D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 11:09:25 PM »

heading out on Sunday.....is Chum closed on the Vedder right now?
You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 11:10:13 PM »

No, two per day