Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: October 10th Vedder  (Read 6161 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
October 10th Vedder
« on: October 10, 2004, 11:38:49 AM »

The streak continued this morning on a 2 hour trip but at least I hooked one for a short time. Not sure what it was but mostly likely a chum but never the less was good to at least have had a fish on, even as briefly as it was. ;D

Never seen so many anglers out, 25 cars at Wilson road and there was a least a hundred anglers within sight distance at Lickman Road. I saw 3 springs laying on the beach right at the parking lot and 3 fish lost while I was taking in the show.

A show it was as the anglers there, no kidding were no more than 3 feet apart at one spot. They must be very skilled anglers in once sense as in the 10 minutes I was there they did not tangle up once. :D

Talked to Dave from the Cultus Lake Research Lab at Lickman and he reported only 70 sockeye have arrived at the counting fence at Cultus so far and he does not expect many more. This is the return from a brood year of 1200 so a sad situation for the this stock of sockeye.

Water condition are excellent today, I wish the fishing was, for me anyway. I forgot my Maple Leaf hat so maybe that was the problem, tomorrow is another day and hope springs eternal, hopefully. ;D

I have also found in the past once some chum and springs start digging there reds and start to spawn and there is some eggs in the river things usually pick up for us short floating roe fishers. Maybe grasping at straws. ::)

Sabre

• Bite Me
Re: October 10th Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 12:44:51 PM »

Thanks for the report Chris. What time did you arrived at Wilson? Thanks

Will

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 12:52:26 PM »

Thanks for the report Chris. What time did you arrived at Wilson? Thanks

Will
I was fishing above Wilson Road (The Wilson Road above Vedder Crossing, not the Wilson Road at Yarrow). I drove by on the way up at 6:45 and back down around 8:45 and that is when I did a rough count of the vehicles.

mark

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »

I think the warm weather is a major factor in the no fish being caught factor. What we need is the cold weather to set in and get to the freezing level up top so the water will not blow out and stay clear. The cold weather up top will cause it to snow and the rain will not effect the river so much. ;) ;) ;)

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 02:37:49 PM »

I forgot my Maple Leaf hat so maybe that was the problem

A Leafs Fan...your dry streak makes so much more sense now that I know this... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
jus buggin ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 02:51:35 PM »

I think the warm weather is a major factor in the no fish being caught factor. What we need is the cold weather to set in and get to the freezing level up top so the water will not blow out and stay clear. The cold weather up top will cause it to snow and the rain will not effect the river so much. ;) ;) ;)
There was fresh snow on Mt. Cheam and Lady Peak yesterday, Winter is on the way bring, on the Steelhead as I can catch them better than coho it seems. ;D ;D

Speaking of steelhead, any word if they will open on the Thompson River this year.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 07:03:07 PM »

Chris what do you think the vedder conditions will be like tommorro morning.  I need to catch something bad lol.   ::)
I like ROE

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 07:44:50 PM »

Chris what do you think the vedder conditions will be like tommorro morning.  I need to catch something bad lol.   ::)
Water conditions will be good but be prepared for lots of fellow anglers. Then on the other hand tomorrow should be the best day of the weekend to find a fish or two. Who knows I may even catch one. ;D ;D

mark

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 08:30:32 PM »

A friend of mine told me today that his dad went out in a boat to where the railroad bridge is in the lower end and caught 3, 15 lbs cohos just chrome I did not believe him at first but he was telling the truth. UNREAL  :o

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 08:40:19 PM »

That's it I'm going up tomorrow,not just coho but big coho,probably need my waders to stand on mine and the other 100 or so's favorite rock.   
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 09:11:38 PM »

When am I taking you for breaky at the PV Chris?
As soon as I catch my first coho of the season. ;D Hard to believe on an average I land 50 or so a year and a couple of years ago I even landed 125 coho's and coho jacks in one season and this year 0.

Is age catching up to me? I hope not, will try again tomorrow.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 09:47:16 PM »

I certainly don't have your type of season Chris,I usually do OK though,this year is the pits.Lets hope it turns around.I hear people are getting them though I have seen very few actually caught.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 09:54:02 PM »

was at the vedder with Big T from 11am till 6pm today. Like Chris said, there were LOTS OF PEOPLE. :o anyway, Big T got skunked out ;D he hooked into 7 fish, including a chrome 35 pound spring which he lost at the shoreline. ;D >:( I guess it wasn't his day. I did alright, hooking 5 fish, 3 coho and 2 chum. I landed two of the coho, both hatchery, and lost the other at the shoreline. The one I lost was massive, an 18 + pound fish. Landed only one chum, the other got away. Water was a a little murky but not bad condition. good luck to anyone going tommorow.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 10:26:12 PM »

Hey Chris, was at Wilson! Lots of people few fish!  Only really saw one coho captured! Was in to about 8 springs! My back is very sore!  I hope tomorrow is good as it is my last day for awhile but ripper and brothers will be out everyday.  You must have made a real impression with Brett.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 10:31:11 PM »

hey I was at wilson road to. I only got one nice wild one, was there at 5.45 am had a few springs a very slow day I think :Pmaybe some day we will meet there.