Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River October 13th  (Read 4393 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Vedder River October 13th
« on: October 13, 2004, 02:40:36 PM »

Fishing with Rod became walking with Rod today. Luke and I arrived in Chilliwack at 6:10am, was supposed to meet up with TtotheE who was already 25 minutes ahead of us, what a keener! We arrived at the parking lot, seeing too many cars, and Luke decided that it was wise to head to another location, but we awaited for TtotheE's phone call.... After 20 minutes of silence, we headed to our other spot.

My float didn't drown today. Can't say the same thing about Luke though. The guy hooked four fish in the first hour after sunrise, but lost them all at the end. ::)

I then decided to go find TtotheE... and I did. We then all joined up together with itosh and his dad as well. After another 30 minutes of fishing the same spot, I was getting shifty. I then suggested that we walk and scout out new spots... Hmmm... great idea... The day turned into a long hike under the hot sun in neoprene waders... :o

First we ditched the guy, then we made him walk two miles... I think that's the last time he attends our quality guiding trip. ;)

We saw the odd springs being hooked, but no coho. Not too many risers, and the ones that showed themselves were either springs or chum. :-\

Let's hope for new arrivals of fish in the next couple of weeks... Until then I shall hunt for em CO's in the Fraser. ;D

Water clarity was very good, almost too clear. Level is low.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River October 13th
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 03:08:14 PM »

<takes a bite of this grilled fresh juicy coho fillet.....> Hmmm.... ::)

Thanks for the report Rod. ;D

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 03:32:41 PM »

Get breathables Rod....I'm never going back to neo's for river fishing.  Much easier on those long hikes...but I do worry more about them when bushwacking.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »

Too much wacking in the bush today, not good for breathable waders. :o There were many times we walked through the thick bush for the longest time and came out to a run, only to find out that there was a easier way that would take half of the time to get there.... ::)

johnny

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:38:56 PM »

The coho flyfishing in the vedder continues to be terrible... and this is my last week of holidays right now. Never seen it so poor this time of year.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

mark

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 06:36:01 PM »

Well I think I am going to go fishing tomorrow morning and by the way I have not caught a coho this year yet :o. This is unbeilievable for me , not trying to sound conceeded, but true. Last year I landed about 30 cohos in my freezer not counting the wilds and dirty ones I released. ;D. I have gone all over the place this year and I can't believe the poor fishing for cohos. It I think was all the early rain this year that brought the river up and all the coho all shot up at once it seems. :P. Thats it I am showing no more mercy to those chrome beauties. I will be eatting one on my dinner plate tomorrow whether they like it or not. ;). I think I'll pull out my drift nets tonight,LOL. Well got to go get my gear ready so good luck to you all,  except the crank and yankers :P. Oh by the way Marc let me know if you can get off work Friday. ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 06:37:45 PM by mark »

gman

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 07:00:44 PM »

Fishon and I started off at the lower river this morning well before first light and fished hard. Two hours  later no fish on the beach, no fish on, just a couple of suspiciouse float dives that may have been strikes. Also didn't see anyone else in the area with a fish on. We decided to move on.

Went to the middle river and started exploring. Found one nice  pool that was being fished by a group that was hooking up lots, but with a large snag percentage. Tried with roe here for a while but no takes. Once again decided to move on.

Went to a spot on the upper river and finally had some action. Had about 10 fish on, mostly springs, a couple of chum, and one coho (briefly). It was tough to land big fish due to the uneven bank and the fast current. I considered keeping a bright 20 pound spring I got in, but thought better of it and enjoyed the feeling of letting it go. Nice that were some fish in the river after all. :)

This was the slowest morning I have experienced on the river so far this year, but managed to salvage something out of the day by exploring and finding a new spot. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 08:25:26 PM by gman »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 09:25:57 PM »

:'( :'(time to hit the harrison or chehalis or just stay home :-[ :-[

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 09:28:21 PM »

Stay home?  According to my journal I had my best day last year on Oct.  I wish I could go fishing for some salmon  :'( .  Oh well. maybe next year.

Jon

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 09:56:58 PM »

With a fog slowly moving through the trees, the scenery was very beautiful this morning.   It reminded me of the Chinese watercolour painting of the misty mountains....

Heh, I hooked 4 & lost 4..., very short lived heart-pounding moments.

I guess, today was just too sunny.
We should do better on/after Saturday, according to the weather forecast, it is supposed to start raining.

We did see a greenish back and a dorsal fin of a chrome coho, splashing around in a very shallow part. (..was building a nest?)     Sadly, it was other side of the river, and I doubt it would bite a roe in that kind of a place and a state. (Would they?)

Also, while 3 of us were walking along the riverbank, we saw a pair of chums  matin'....  The groom was a half the size of the bride. (no sneak mating by this  jack...  :P)   And while this male dashed away scared as soon as they saw us, female calmly remained where she was..  ::)

gman,
Right on!  

mark

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 02:13:17 PM »

I don't understand everyone is talking about the vedder needs rain, dang it has lots of water more than enough for coho. ::)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 04:52:53 PM »

I agree Mark...this is prime water in my books.

Today the fish I saw rise were chum and springs and only a couple of coho.

???
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 05:57:36 PM »

The cohos that are in the river are mostly inactive. They are conserving energy. They are waiting for the new batch of cohos to come in.  They do this so that they can find their mate for spawning.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor