Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oct.15 on the Vedder With A New Partner?  (Read 3703 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Oct.15 on the Vedder With A New Partner?
« on: October 15, 2004, 09:01:08 PM »

After reading about someone breaking a coho fishless streak today under general discussion and seeing the picture it almost looked a bit like someone I know, will have to look in the mirror to check it out. ;D ;D

Will type a brief report on my sisters's computer while waiting for supper and not sure how far I will get.

A phone call the other night from Nick who most likely was feeling sorry for my fishless streak gave me a tip that he was getting some fish in Fulcum Country. I never usually fish there and with my computer down I could not contact Fulcum_29 to seek his permission.  ;D

Nick told me to reach the hot spot it was a bit of a difficult wade and to take a wading pole.

While at a FVSS meeting last night I asked George if he would also like to come along, he said he could hold off on work for the morning so we decided on a meeting time of 6:45 at his place as light does not come to after 7 on a cloudy day.

We jump into his truck and head for Fulcum Country right on time.

We arive at the river as daylight starts to break and I have to borrow a bait box from him as mine got lost in the renovations at home. My wife most likely hid it to try and keep my nose to the grindstone at home. ;D

We load up the bait boxes with some pro cured roe, a short floater's ammunition, I have both chum and spring that should work well as I notice a number of them spawning in the shallows below the run we are fishing.

I toss George an extra wading staff and in no time flat we are tackling the current and scattered boulders that make the footing a little treacherous. The water was about hip high and not as bad as I though it was going to be and with felts on the soles I was comfortable with the section of river we were crossing.

I thought of the recent serious incidents on the Vedder and took each step with care but it was not a thing a new fisher with no wading experience should be doing.

We cross without  incident and we arrive a the spot Nick had detailed out. We quickly bait up and our floats are happily bobbing along in the 4 to 6 feet of water. George misses the odd fish and I barb one that is followed by my fishing companion hitting pay dirt first, a dolly in the 3 to 4 pound range.

I am not having as many bites as George so move up a bit with no success. I change my float to a more sensitive one as I still had the balsa one on from my trips to the Thompson. ::)

I also change to a #1 gammy and on George's advice I do not put my usual bit of wool on.

In no time after the makeover the new float is out of sight and the tell tale silver flash of a coho. Jubilation flows through my veins after so many fishless days.

Have to break for supper may be able to get back later on the borrowed computer.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:09:54 PM by chris gadsden »

ocean_going

• fish on
Re: Oct.15 on the Vedder With A New Partner?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 09:33:30 PM »

i WAS WONDERING   WHY   EVERYONE   USES SUCH LARGE  HOOKS? I USE #4 BARBLESS gamagatsu     i'm not  tryin to snag em, just   hookin them,   just curious............

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:48:00 PM »

Size 1's are hardly large hooks

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:52:59 PM »

Ive found hooks on the ground that were like 4/0 hooks.  ::) :o must be those damn snaggers >:( personally I ussually use #1 hooks.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:56 PM »

i quess is all depend,you are a meat hunter or not ::)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:11:23 PM »

i quess is all depend,you are a meat hunter or not ::)
good point.  :'( :o :( I think there's TOO many so called "Meat Hunters" now. Been seeing alot more giant hooks littered along the banks of Vedder.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:34:05 PM »

hi fulcrum-29,did chris went to your secret spot and use your secret s.c.t. method too ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:49:43 PM »

Part 2

The coho quickly heads downstream towards George and gets behind a root and as I can not move the fish back up to me I ask George if he would take my pole so I can walk through the bush and around the obstacle.

When I get to George my line is slack in hands. Gone he tells me with a bit of a smile on his face. ??? My fishless streak is still alive I say to my self as I pick my way through the bush once again.

I have just settled back into my spot and George is into a wild one that he releases.

Shortly after float down and I am into one also and George helps me land, my first CO of the year a hatchery doe of about 4 pounds, success finally. ;D Since I started fishing the vedder nearly 30 years ago this is the latest in the season I have taken my first fish.

With the monkey now off my back fish number 2 comes quite quickly, a nice hen fish a little over 7 pounds.

My envious fishing partner comes to join me and while I am fighting a spring hooked in the dorsal fin :-[ ::) George lands his second of the day, another wild fish.

The fishing slows down and we miss the odd fish and then 6 or so yellow rafting boats come by and things really slow down.

We fish to 11 and then we head for the Point for an enjoyable late breakfast and relive a excellent morning of fishing on a beautiful Fall morning. Back at George's place he does the honours of cleaning the fish for me, what a guide or was it that I bought breakfast. :D

I am fired up with my morning success and head back up to the spot leaving George to go to work. ;D ;D

I arrive back at the water around 1:30 and on the first 5 casts I have 2 more fish to the beach, a hatchery of about 6 pounds and a wild fish nudging 9 .

I think number 4 hatchery should follow quickly but it does not as I land only one more fish, a coloured jack spring. I also barb a couple of others and miss double that. My fishing is intrupted by the river rafters again. These time a dozen or so riders jump into the water right in the pool I am fishing  :o so I am sure the fish seeing these strange red outfits in the water did not help and it could have been worse if they were yellow.

But I leave the river quite satisfied with 3 fish, some good roe for future trips , good memories with a new fishing partner, and fishing in some glorious Fall colours and long fishless streak ended.

Where will I be tomorrow? Most likley I will be rolling rolling right along to Murder's Pool as some one from this forum calls it. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:58:41 PM by chris gadsden »

leaping steely

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 10:52:36 PM »

congrats on the cohos Chris :)

Atleast the river rafters weren't wearing yellow. ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 11:07:32 PM »

congrat to you chris,i had the same feeling when i started in the  first week of september...it was alway hard for the first coho..just remember ,enjoy the river outing..

Buckeye

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 07:25:38 AM »

Great report Chris!
It was definitely enjoyable fishing with you. There's not too many people left out there who care about ethical fishing the way you do, and I usually end up fishing alone.
Sorry about the lost coho...  It really was an accident!
 ;)

Beautiful day, great fishing partner, awesome fish....

Life can be good!
 :)

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 08:27:46 AM »

hehe that was a great report...for a second I thought there was no part 2 and was getting ready to yell at you for the whole suspense thing  ;D
  Good to hear there's a happy ending!!  I need to get my first one...hopefully that will open the floodgates.
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing