Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Coho???!! October 17th  (Read 5273 times)

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
Capilano Coho???!! October 17th
« on: October 17, 2004, 10:46:40 AM »

Could it be that I caught my first 'Ho today????  Is it possible????  Yes.  Well ok, not really.  I better tell my personal most ironic fishing story ever.

I left this morning by 6 am, and headed across the Lion's Gate and up to the Hatchery to park and hike.  Sun still hadn't made an appearance so I headed over to cable pool with my flashlight to take a peek.  Water was up but nothing too drastic. 
Guided by my flashlight and the sound of the river, I hiked on for a stretch, and came to a stop when my flashlight beam showed me my trail had come to an end…which made no sense at all because I was sure I hadn’t made a turn off.  After a minute to think and shine the light around, I realized what must have happened.  Sometime during the night, the forest bedding gave way above and there was a slide, which covered the trail and knocked the fencing down into oblivion.  I was able to get an idea how bad it was. Nothing too damaging…but had anyone been walking by at that moment they would have been swept a 100 feet down by the mud and trees.  Keep your head up if your at the Cap in the next few days…there’s some of the sections that look like it wont take much more rain to bring ‘em down.     So I walked over the debris and a few minutes later was setting up at the spot.   A few small fish we’re rising, and some fellows had arrived across the pool.   Anyways, to make a long story short, after about 2 hours of drifting pink wool around, I had nothing to show.  I just happen to glance down into the water just to the left of my feet, and there in the water, not 2 feet from my left foot, was a Coho, maybe 5 pounds.  It was practically right up on the rock…and it was just sitting there opening and closing it’s mouth at this spot where a small stream of water comes down the rock.  Now, having casted probably 5000 times with spinners, drifted enough wool to make sweaters for 10,000 needy children, and hurled a world of spoons around with nothing to show…my first reaction was to kick it.  Kick it for having the nerve to mock me this way.    Instead, I nudged it gently away with my rod tip, and it swam right back to the same spot.  I continued casting, and after a few minutes noticed it’s head was almost right out of water, looking right at me…it was kind of eerie.  So I nudged it again…and it returned to the same spot.  Finally I put my rod down, and stepped over and grabbed it by the tail.  It didn’t really react, so I spun it around so it was facing back into the pool, and gave it the ‘ol back and forth a few times.  All of a sudden it tail splashed me and swam into the current.  I’m going to call that a legitimate catch as of the moment I had one hand on his tail, and one on the belly      ;D

So anyways...who wants to venture a guess as to what the h3ll was going on in that fishes head...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:28:32 PM by Rodney »
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Re: Capilano Coho???!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 11:13:42 AM »

was it chrome? I would guess it was a spawned out male.....but no offence.

Think about it....you have swan thousands of miles....had the only sex you are ever going to have in your life, just before you die...what else are you going to do but pray? ;D
You don't make friends with salad.

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 11:55:03 AM »

Oh ya...duh...I forgot these fish die  ::)
It's sad that one has to die at my feet for me to actually touch a Coho. 
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 12:21:25 PM »

hahahahahaha...good line

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 12:44:15 PM »

Last year the same thing happened to me at the vedder and it was a chrome coho about 4 pounds.  I had my hand around it's tail but it sliped away. 
I like ROE

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 02:25:35 PM »

I brought in a Cap Chinook last when when the Srping fishery was closed, and after only a short fight, I was tailing it to release it....it was as fresh as the one I caught on the 16th, yet it just sat there.... ...even after it 'revived", it only moved about 1 foot away. It was my fishing buddy for about 45 minutes. I was beginning to wonder if I could train it to go tell the coho to bit my lure

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Capilano Coho???!! October 17th
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 02:49:13 PM »

A few weeks ago while fishing the Vedder with gman, he spotted a chrome hatchery coho sitting in the shallows right in front of him. I watched him as he moved closer to take a look at it. At the the same, my float already disappeared but my eyes were somewhere else. This other fish then pulled my rod down so I jerked the rod, instant reflex of course. While fighting my fish, I was still distracted by gman's little business on the side, so the fish popped off (yep, that's my excuse ;D ). gman gave that fish close to shore a nudge and it quickly shot off into the deep. ;D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 03:55:24 PM »

all the time at the Squamish

Sandhead

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 04:35:03 PM »

I almost feel into the river, the first time one swam between my legs on the vedder...
Ain't no HO like a COHO

fisher88

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 04:57:21 PM »

aqua,, u go to squamish>??? u been there recently?
If you aint dutch you aint much!

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 05:01:49 PM »

Next weekend will by my first trip up to Squamish since an ill advised trip up about a month ago.

fisher88

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 05:11:39 PM »

sweeet,, im curious about it up there, never been there this late in the year.. can you post how it goes when you go up,, thanks man
If you aint dutch you aint much!

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 06:08:22 PM »

no worries...the chums should start soon, and there are some big coho in there too

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 08:40:36 PM »

sounds good. :D

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 09:08:06 PM »

The first year I fished the Squamish a dog not only bumped my leg but it actually bit my waders :o and took a small piece of neoprene out as a souvenir. You should have seen my reaction as I nearly jumped out of my waders.