Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River October 17th  (Read 5312 times)

fisher88

Vedder River October 17th
« on: October 17, 2004, 02:36:20 PM »

Pretty much a Gong Show on the Vedder today,, at around 8:30 i was at the canal for 15 minutes, saw 1 caught not sure what though. Then I headed somewhere in between the canal and lickman, there was a rali bridge,, fished under it for an hour. Only saw two springs snagged there.  Then I finished up at lickman, it was super busy and saw about 10 springs taken in two hours, including a 35 pound beauty. Myself caught 3, but I couldn't bring any in!!.. Another Gooseegg,, well i guess I should try again next week!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:44:26 PM by Rodney »
If you aint dutch you aint much!

blueback

Re: Vedder River October 17th
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 03:03:53 PM »

I started with Bytor up top in beauty water; nice slick to the side of a fast running pool. In to the slick and hook up a jack spring; released. Next Bytor hooks up hatch Coho of about 6/7lbs. but a little too far gone to think about bonking. Few more springs to the beach and that it for the day. Must've seen 30 chromer coho scoot past during the morning, not stopping for more than a few minutes, but wouldn't take roe/blades/wool, NOTHING. Saw another guy catch and release a wild Coho in the pockets below us. A couple up at Tamahi on the beach as I went through. Would be nice to be out there tommorrow.

mark

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 04:54:04 PM »

How is the clarity of the water from the rain the last 2 days. ???

fisher88

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:55:52 PM »

its not too bad,, didn't really look at it, but theres at least 4 feet clarity,, hope that helps
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 05:42:41 PM »

the water wis nice today...good height, good colour, alas no coho for Bug Pumper, my dad and I. 

BP and I each bonked a chum on a new mylar jig pattern I am playing with.  Females of coarse, but when filletted the flesh was still firm so I think they will make a nice batch in the smoker.

LOTS of big springs.  I hooked quite possibly the largest whitey I have ever seen on the vedder.  It jumped clear outta the water 2Xs and I would have to put it around 50-55.

Fun day in terms of the spring action but for my first trip...disappointed not to see a coho.

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 06:18:38 PM »

Was at mid river today and trying to break my coho slump, but to no avail.......SKUNKED again  :'(

Hooked onto some springs and chum though....LOTS of them  ;D

I must be jinxed or my waders needs to be washed  ???

Things got worse when a 10 yr old decided to fish on the right side of me.......not that he was getting in my way, but about his 3rd cast............COHO on  :o  :( :o  I ended up helping him land his fish......what a beaut!!!  Chromer about 7lbs.  Great to see that kids can hook onto them  :-\

Was i ever jealous!  Well.....have to try my luck another day.  :P

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 06:28:13 PM »

Fishin addict i think you were the person which helped me and my brother light a fire??? Yeh i couldnt stop laughing when my brother walked up to us showing this chrome 7lbs coho :D still havent got a coho ::)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »

im telling you fish like to be caught by kids! its sad but true for you guys :P. I got my 2 coho last week on a river on the island. Hopefully get one on a river i can keep em. But C&R is still fun!

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 08:31:10 PM »

Fishin addict i think you were the person which helped me and my brother light a fire??? Yeh i couldnt stop laughing when my brother walked up to us showing this chrome 7lbs coho :D still havent got a coho ::)
Yup... that was my buddy who helped you build the fire.  I was the one who landed the spring  ;D

I've seen you fishing there b4.  Now i know who you are.  I'll definitely stop and introduce myself next time.  Great fishing with ya  8) and your little brother + dad?

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 10:49:55 PM »

FA should have been with me on Friday!  Caught and landed 4 co's at the spot. Two wild and two nice hatch. One was 12lbs.  Several fish on though including a nice spring and a chum.  My best day overall in a few years!  Enjoyed the day with my brothers who both landed fish, a hatch each.  My son went up to Allison and landed two nice cos both keepers so in all a good day for the haviland boys!  Worth a day off for me!  Never got back out for the rest of the weekend as it weas just too wet and I wasnt feeling well.  Get that fish soon.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 11:00:07 PM »

Ya talk about first timers. This coho is seriously this guys FIRST EVER fish.
Actions speak louder than words.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 11:02:45 PM »

Is the small one a dolly?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 11:04:22 PM »

Biff, that's a pretty nice fish for your first one, even though it's tiny... ;D

Bill, nice going, good to hear that you found some coho after last weekend's disappointment... But, you abandoned those poor students to go fishing on Friday? :o ;D "So, Mr H. were you sick last Friday?" "Um... yes.... I could barely move my legs..."

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 11:05:19 PM »

No its a 3.5 lb coho
Actions speak louder than words.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 11:24:28 PM »

Nope would never do that Rod, I am a professional!!!  Get one day off a year to use at my discretion!  So I took it to fish!  You would think I would get more after teaching for 22 years, especially with all my coaching but no way!  Yea it was a blast and a good way to end a horrible week! Spent Sat. at the Woodworkers show in Cloverdale which was almost as much fun as fishing!