Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: odd coho October 23rd  (Read 6341 times)

scales

• I'm a llama!
odd coho October 23rd
« on: October 23, 2004, 10:30:02 PM »

Caught a large chrome 11.5# Coho today from the Vedder that looked like a male.  When I cleaned the fish I noticed it with tiny egg sacks which was far from maturity(1 yr too early) :o.  This fish had a real thick belly similar to male fish with a hook snout. :-\
First one of it's kind in 15 years of Coho fishing! ;D  Has anyone else encountered this?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 01:22:34 AM by Rodney »

rymack

• I'm a llama!
Re: odd coho
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 12:11:53 AM »

I've  seen these Franken-fish before.  Couple of years  ago on the Big Qualicum a Fisherman Bonked 2  20ish pound springs.  Both had immature roe sacs.  He thought it had something to do with them being Hatchery fish. 

Did u happen to take any pics?

Gillie

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 12:52:25 AM »

Well I been doing alotta runs up north lately, Most of the guys I been talking to a been complaining about how most of the sockeye have been showing up with sores all over them for the last few years. Apperantly there have been studies been done and the sores match exactly the sores that GI's where getting during the first world war, when the germans and allies where using nerve gas,and mustard gas, to no end.
  Well the Canadain military have admitted to dropping nerve gas and deisel fuel from the "first and second world war"!! in the straight of Jaun de Fuca in the late 40's.
   All the guys I been talking to have not eaten a worthy sockeye in a couple years.
       They been complaining about Alcan and  how  thet have not been releasing enough water to sustain the Stuart run from the Nachacko River.!!(water temps to high). All the fish have had the flesh cooked off them before they reach Prince George!! In a couple more years there will be "No More Stuart Run"!! IMHO the only reason for this, is  the greedy politicians can justify the the export of our water. The "North American Water and Power Alliance" is in affect and real!!!.  No More fish, no reason to worry about where the water goes! The Americans are out of water in the south west!!! They have  been building a huge aqua duct from S Cal. to N. Cal. for  the last few years. (It is in compleation now) I'm sure it's not because of N. Cal. has a an expodential amount of water!! ( The Columbia, Skagit, and Fraser, can all be redirected within 10 years). I will leave it up to you to draw your own conclusions from here. At some point somebody has to wake the others, weather you hear the call is up to you.  >:( .....(I will not stand on a silent platform any longer).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 01:28:51 AM by Gillie »

Oliver

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 07:23:29 AM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:32:10 AM by LimitKiller »

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 08:27:45 AM »

You may be right Limitkiller, but I would like to believe that this fish is a late spawner(Feb.).  Another thought, it's mother nature's way of correcting a shortage of females.  Lucky for me that this fish did not have both sex reproductive organs :o

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
hey gillie.....
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 06:36:18 PM »

hmmmm

It hurts me to read garbage like what gillie just posted....redirect the Fraser River to California??

Hey....how bout the Americans just block out ALL the sun-light to Canadians....for their own use for solar electricity too  eh?

My feelings.....stop drinking your bathwater!
The Green Horn

Gillie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 06:53:46 PM »

There was a study done by the Ralph M. Parsons Company in the 60's, the plan was tabled for future concideration http://collections.ic.gc.ca/agrican/pubweb/hs30081.asp

Maybe you should take a sip of your own bath water  ;)

mark

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 09:00:22 PM »

So I'll let you guys know that I took a fisheries course and learned that all these fish you find rather odd are all to do with pollution such as acid rain.I had a friend catch a sockeye with both eggs and sperm sacks in it , I even saw it with mine own eyes. :o. As long as we (human race) keep on polluting the whole ecosystem will be disturbed. :'(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 09:05:41 PM »

Yes indeed, it's imposex - a pseudo-hermaphroditic condition where the female organism develops a false penis, normally caused by pollution. Occurance is frequent near sewage outlets.... Not as common in BC, but is well documented in the east and Great Britain.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 09:38:06 PM »

Thanks for all the inputs fishers.  A link worth reading
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/124939_estrogen04.html
This is true for feeder Springs around the mouth of the Fraser river resulting in physical changes. :P

Fisherking

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 05:30:48 PM »

I too  landed a wierd coho on the Vedder the other day.  It had two sets of roe,  one mature and almost dried up and the other immature.   What;s up with that?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »

Here's a Skeena coho I found on another site that I thought was a little strange:

They talk about it being a seal bte or something like that, but that's a pretty clean cut don't you think ?

Here's the entire thread with some additional details about the wierd fish.
http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/142183/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:32:01 PM by Spudcote »
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 10:35:17 PM »

Now that is one sad looking fish!  Reminds me of my mother in law!  Just joking mom!!!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 05:27:22 PM »

Here's a Skeena coho I found on another site that I thought was a little strange:

They talk about it being a seal bte or something like that, but that's a pretty clean cut don't you think ?

I say it got caught by prop blade maybe?  Sliced it clean.  My thoughts.

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 07:08:17 PM »

Thats a pretty nasty head wound.
Could be a prop blade... or a bear? 

If it survives to spawn it'll produce some real strong offspring.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.