Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River October 27  (Read 3077 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Squamish River October 27
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:21:34 PM »

Fished the river above the Mamquam mouth today for about 3 hours.
Very slow.
One fish hooked/lost/3 fish seen.
One fish upstream taken by another guy-a nice chrome Chum.
No other bites at all.
Did I mention it was slow?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Squamish River October 27
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 05:35:54 PM »

How do you get to "Above the Mamquam"?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:35:42 PM »

Fished the Squamish today for about 5 hours.  Started by drifting a brass colorado.  Nothing. Switched to a silver colorado, thinking that with the water clarity (and no takers on the brass) it would be a good idea.  Nothing.  Decided to cast some spoons as I had brought my 8 and a half foot convergence with my Quantum 1421 MG.  It's several years old and I had it serviced by Mike's this past summer.  Forgot to get him to change the worm gear while it was apart as it hasn't been changed since new.  Yep, you guessed it, worm gear died on me today.  Decided to use my drifting rod for casting spoons for awhile.  Nothing.  Got tired of that and decided to go talk to the fly fisherman above me who had just hooked one and had popped off.  Nice guy, older gent with a German accent (I think).  Asked him what kind of fly he was using and it was a big green thing.  Since I'm not a fly fisherman, I couldn't tell you what kind it was.  So, I got to thinking. Let's try wool since I hadn't actually tried that today as I had mainly fished hardware. Retied my float, set it at 2 feet or so, 20 inch leader, number 2 hook and dark green and chartreuse wool combo.  Bam!  First drift into a fish.  Not so clean chum. Off you go, bye bye.  Numerous more hits and misses, some hook ups and pop offs, some snagged  (I'm pretty sure) and things die down.  Time to change to a different color. On with dark orange.  First cast...Bam!   Another fish.  Somewhere in there I kept one fairly clean buck that had lost some of its silver but otherwise clean.  Decided to switch colors again and this time went to dark red (see a color pattern here?).  First drift...nothing.  Second drift...Bam!  Got one on.  At the end of the day I took home two chum.  One buck and one doe that I got just before I finished for the day.  The doe was really clean and still had quite a bit of silver although the bars were definitely showing.  I've had fish up here where you could barely see the bars.  Not bad considering I wasn't fishing the tide.  I would expect some really fresh fish if I had been.  Action might have been more fast and furious too but still hooked over a dozen fish I would guess.  Just a gorgeous day to be out.  Saw lots of wildlife.  There was a very accomodating seal that kept pushing fish to my side of the river, 3 coyotes, couple of eagles down the way from me, a heron and all sorts of birds, like woodpeckers and others I don't know the name of.  Seagulls and crows too,  Those, I recognize.  Great day except for the construction road work being done on the Sea to Sky.  Oh, went to the Vedder yesterday in the lower end.  No cohos, tons of springs and some chum including a very bright silvery one.  Didn't keep a thing.
President Club S. C. & P.

sean

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:48:48 PM »

fished the squamish all day below mamaquam dog after dog and so on. some nice chrome chum with sea lice. not a coho in sight must be a little early still.

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 10:55:28 PM »

Hi,

Could someone give me directions to a decent fishing spot?  I haven't been to the squamish before.