Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: October 29th - Dad got his wish  (Read 5852 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
October 29th - Dad got his wish
« on: October 29, 2004, 05:41:31 PM »

I am running low on sleep, but Dad is in town for a week for one reason, to catch a coho. ;D So, after yesterday's drought, we headed out again this morning before sunrise. The effort has paid off. Last year, he nailed his coho two hours after getting off the airplane. This year, it was two days later, but a much bigger fish. :D

I hope you enjoy the breath-taking scenary as much as we did. ;)

Sorry about the edit. It's done to honour a promise to a friend but still wanting to show you Dad's biggest coho so far. My estimate is 10 to 12. Some suggested 14, but don't forget we are little people. :)

What was it caught on?

Hung, you're still picking up the spoons tomorrow right? ;)

Good luck fishing this weekend folks. It should be excellent for coho, good luck all! :)

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
Re: October 29th - Dad got his wish
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 05:58:08 PM »

Great fish!
I think I recognize that tree...
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Aurora

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 06:02:58 PM »

Beautiful fish.  But aren't you taking your efforts to hide your location a little bit too far?  Whats with the disquise?  You can't hid behind that mostache.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 06:19:22 PM »

Hey, watch it! Don't diss my facial hair, it took me three weeks to grow something that long. ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 06:26:11 PM »

Did you get any other fish today?
Actions speak louder than words.

ERNIE

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 06:29:46 PM »

Beautiful fish!  I was also on the river today.

The fishing is begining to slow down in my opinion.  There were many chums caught by myself and others around me, a sign that it is getting late in the year.

I did catch a hatchery coho today but I had accidently snagged it in the belly.  The fish was gently released  :'( in the water and shot off like a rocket after my hook slipped out.

Other than that, I did not see any other coho caught.  There is defintley clean fish to be had yet in the Vedder River but you had better hurry and get out before it's too late!

Ernie

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 07:02:32 PM »

Hey Rodney, I am definitely not judging your fishing technique when I ask if you think the fish might have been flossed? I can't tell but it looks as though the hook is penetrating the fish from the outside of the mouth.

I ask only to get feedback that assures me that some Salmon actually bite. I have looked at all the hook placements of the Salmon I have caught over the last couple of years and have noticed an overwhelming amount of them hooked from the outside in. This I know is how the Fraser River meat fishery is done (which I partake in) but am getting a little discouraged from the 'Sport' of fishing due to the realization that most fish aren't hooked from aggressive 'biting'.

Nice fish by the way! Glad to see dad having fun. I wish my old man would go fishing with me. Thanks for your time and hope to hear some positive results back from you or anyone else with an opinion.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 07:30:56 PM »

I think its much more easier to floss/snag a fish if you are float fishing with wool. It looks like Rod's dad was using a spin caster and to "snag"one on the mouth is almost close to impossible.

And Rod, since your dad is using a spin caster, I think I can safely assume you were fishing one of the many "ponds"down lower river.

I too was fishing next to one of the ponds and I saw quite a number of fish hooked- some dogs and some some cohos. I rather drift with roe than cast and retrieve with spinner. I hooked into quite a number but only landed 2 native fish. It was still pretty good fishing for me.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 07:43:38 PM »

Not an opinion but a decade of throwing metal
at eager coho tells me that while Ive bumped fish with my line often it never leads to a hook up, amplified with the fact that fresh coho will do almost anything to inhale a seductively displayed lure Id say the flossing factor is about 5 points below nil.

Aurora

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 08:13:41 PM »

Hey, watch it! Don't diss my facial hair, it took me three weeks to grow something that long. ;D
I'm just jealous because I can't grow a good looking mostache.    ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 09:02:17 PM »

Not much dental work going on today. ;D This was indicated by the fact that we had numerous fish followed the spoon to bank again and again. :o We did catch others today, landed a few more but lost more. :) I landed, none. ::)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 09:05:36 PM »

I landed, none. ::)
Even after that bird took a sh*t on you in the background of your pic? ::) I thought that was good luck? :D Nice looking fish, thanks for report.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 10:07:07 PM »

All tangled up.  This just shouldn't be happening unless you are dragging your wieghts along the bottom. Too many people do this and don't realize its not the proper way to drift.  Maybe this is what you are doing. Try to observe your float next time out and shorten up your length from the float to your wieght. The float should be sitting up and down only, and let your float free drift so the presentation looks natural. A lot of guys have the float almost sideways in the water- thats a mistake unless you are intending to sweep the hook across the pool and floss a fish.  If you are hooking the bottom a lot you are too deep. I almost never hook the bottom so when my float goes down I know its a fish for sure. Also only use a 1 1/2 foot leader, you never will need longer than that.   Hope this didn't sound too obvious, you may know this stuff already. But if you do this you should never floss a fish, it sounds like you are too deep.
Fish on!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 10:31:05 PM »

While BP brought up the point of dragging along the bottom, I'll also mention something that we did today. The waters where we fished today were paved with chum. Everywhere we looked, you could see chum lining up and hugging close to the gravel. To avoid foul hooking them, which would have been really easy, we sped up the retrieving speed. Luckily the spoons that I've made are broad and light so their sink rate is very slow. This actually allowed us to slow down the retrieve without bumping any chums on their back. I am happy to report no fish were foul hooked today. Actually, no fish have been fouled so far this season for me thankfully, I hope it will stay that way when I start fishing for Lower Squamish chum next week. :)

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 10:41:20 PM »

All Tangled Up: he's just "twisted" it a bit trying to lure me into some of his spoons  ;D

Rod: will pick them up tomorrow AM.  Question: is the fish part of the package?   ;D