Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: another Vedder dream day. October 30th  (Read 4373 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
another Vedder dream day. October 30th
« on: October 30, 2004, 05:21:17 PM »

Well, new spot this time and dam it was cold and windy. New fishing partner today- Steely Ryu.  We arrived way too early so we waited for fishable light. After starting it took a half hour to get the first Coho, I got first blood with my fly rod and popcycle fly. When Steely heard me say fish on he came over to where I was to help land it. After a long fight and the coho surface thrashing I got a thick 10lb buck with a huge northern hook nose. (Kipe)  On SR's first cast there he got a bright 9lb doe.  Next I got a wild coho that I released. Now I thought- ya, its 2 for me, one for SR, heh,heh.  Of course he gets the next seven hook ups!! On blades. At this point my hands are so cold from tailing SR's fish for him that I can hardly hold my flyline to strip it in. I take a few breaks to put my hands in my shirt under my arm pits to warm them up. I didn't expect the cold so I left my gloves at home.  SR generously ties my flies on for me, I actually can't do it.  SR ends up getting 4 hatches before I get my next two.  At the end of our trip we had 7 hatchery coho plus three smaller hatcheries that we released, and lots of wilds.  Spinners out fished flys by a large margine.. SR had 19 coho on, and I had only seven with the flyrod.   19!!! I'll send pictures to Rod to post here.    BP
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 07:35:43 PM by Rodney »
Fish on!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
Re: another Vedder dream day.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 05:33:38 PM »

Birdman. I would give up on the lower river, Most fish have already moved through.  Use roe in slower water, not still but walking speed water. Better yet use spinners and blades, you'll get less chums and Springs.
Fish on!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 05:43:20 PM »

Birdman, it is getting late in the seasson but they will still be around next sunday, You'll just have to hope you don't get any too red.
Fish on!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 05:51:54 PM »

nice fish, thats a tough question.  I mix up the retrieve so one time its fast, next its slow.  The important part is to find where the coho are hiding, and fish at first light. I always look for side channels with still water.
Fish on!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 06:54:40 PM »

Great report bug pumper sounds like you guys have hooked into and caught more coho in one day than most fishermen on this site have caught all year. At least for me anyway. Great going guys and thanx for the reports. I
can't wait to get out but I've been fighting a flu bug for 5 days now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Sunday.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 07:15:35 PM »

Birdman, you can get both. You never no what's going to strike.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 07:18:25 PM by Rodney »
Fish on!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 07:17:30 PM »

What? Steely RYU can actually catch fish? ;) Well done! :)

Dinner at Bug Pumper's house! ;D

Steely RYU and his wild friend.

Bug Pumper's biggy.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Re: another Vedder dream day. October 30th
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 01:10:02 AM »

WOW!!! thoses r some THICK fish!!!  :o congrats

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 07:39:58 AM »

Wow, Great going BP and Steely!!
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 03:42:08 AM »

Hey BP what color blades where you using?
Actions speak louder than words.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 09:42:33 AM »

We had a great day there too BP (sunday)..nice little spot and only 2 other fishers there.  Betweem the 4 of us: 16 coho bonked.  They came quick too,  nice to get home early for a nap!

At times we had to wait to get to the small chunk of beach to land our fish with  triple headers, the pool was very active.

I hooked 4 fish in the 12-14 lb range...big, big fish in there right now!  super clean too so it should be good for a while.

Jigs were the weapon of choice for my dad, mostly spinners for me.

I found that a colarado blade (copper) with a single split shot on a slow retrieve was the ticket...the slow wobble/spin drove them nuts.  Often I would watch a pack track it in and then WHAM...seeing the take is so exhilerating!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 08:01:43 PM »

Holy crap!!! Good going, I thought we got them all, lol.  Good to see you got that monkey off your back.  BP         Biffchan,  Silver spinners did the trick for us, blue foxes. But Gooey had his luck with copper colorados.     
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 10:53:37 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 10:19:49 AM »

Good for you Vedder guys.  I fished the Chehalis canyon.  Two words to describe the fishing...woof woof.  Nothing but dogs (old ones).  Seems that the Coho moved through between Thursday and Saturday.  Oh well, I still had fun and enjoyed the morning.

Steely-Ryu

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 10:24:07 AM »

Yes, that was a DREAM day last weekend for me and Bug...and it also sounded like a dream day for Gooey as well.  We now pray that the fish gods will also show us favour next weekend and that the rain gods don't blow out the river.  Maybe a trip for Gooey, Bug and Steely???  Haven't had one of those in a while.  :(

What Buggy didn't mention was that I used other artificials to hook those 19 coho.  I can mention that I got a few on spoons but the other things I used will remain a secret between Bug, Gooey, and me.  But it was important to keep changing up every time there was a lull in the action.

Yes, this has been my first post in a LOOOOONG time!

To Rodney, YES I have been known to catch a few fish here and there!!!   >:(  SHEESH, I thought Bug and Gooey were the only ones that gave me a hard time!!!   :'(

TIGHT LINES ALL!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 10:02:47 PM »

Well Steely-Ryu, it was the only way to make you stop lurking and start posting. :)