Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish October 30  (Read 5643 times)

gman

Squamish October 30
« on: October 30, 2004, 06:17:33 PM »

Fishon and I tried the Squamish today for the first time this year.

I hooked a bright chum in the first ten minutes, but lost it. A few minutes later another one on, and lost. No problem, I thought, I'll hook lots. Well after that it was pretty slow. I did hook a couple more over the next few hours, but it was kind of tough going compared to what I expected for this time of year. FishOn had similar luck. The river was higher and bit darker than usual, but still fishable. Not too crowded - I guess people knew the fishing was not hot.

A nice day on the river nonetheless. :)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Re: Squamish October 30
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 07:35:31 PM »

I too hit the Squamish....a secret spot up higher that a good friend tipped me off to last year.  Not one person in sight! My cousin and I fished there from 2-4:30. I hooked the first one 15 minutes in, and landed it. Bonked a nice firm buck. Then , my cousin goes on a rampage and lands two nice bringht ones back to back. All mouth caught on pink and orange wool.

Then, as I was re-tieing, and my cousin was trash talking me about beating me to the limit, his line went off....I went to help him tail the fish....flash of silver, flash of silver....then out came something I have never seen before. (we have a picture, but its from a film camera..being developed)....blunt nosed, BRIGHT silver, with small PINK spots. Bull trout or Dolly is what I figured....it swallowed that wool hard, but we managed to get everything out no problem, and release the little feller......beautiful fish...and drat! my cousin goes and catches the first wild trout I have ever seen...DAMN....

Well, the trash talking worked....fed up, I walked down to a little tail out that I remembered fishing last year....bammo!....BEAUTIFUL silver chum female...stuffed with a whole belly full of steelehead bait. She is headed for the smoker, and the buck will be BBQ fare, because he was the redest chum I have ever seen.

lovely day...sunny...eagles....and TONNES of fish swimming by

there would literally be a group of about 15 fish go by every 5 minutes..awesome
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 07:37:06 PM by aquaboy24 »
You don't make friends with salad.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 08:24:52 PM »

Sounds like a good day folks.

Vince, does the small fish look like this? :)

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 09:33:11 PM »

.....and the buck will be BBQ fare, because he was the redest chum I have ever seen.....

You sure you didn't actually bonk a wild coho?  Not sure, but all of the chums that i have ever seen were not red, but coho do become a red color in the later stages of spawning.  Do you have a photo of the fish?  Anyways, sounds like you had a good day fishing.  Just curious, that is all.

Shane
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 09:35:17 PM by itosh »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:18:20 PM »

I think he meant the meat was red

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 10:47:15 PM »

Wanna quit the generalization please? ::) Itosh simply posted a valid question that maybe a good discussion on species differentiation.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 11:04:41 PM »

chill everyone....yes man..I meant, when I cut the head off at the river, the flesh was the redest I have ever seen a chum.

and after much reading..it looks like the mystery fish my cousin caught was a female bull trout...and I was interested to learn that a bull trout is actually a char

opps...hey Rod..thanks for the link..I just noticed it....yes..thats the fish...Kip (my Cuz) mentioned that he thought he had another chum on, but then this "little" fish (about 5 lbs) popped out..but what a fighter!!!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 11:08:20 PM by aquaboy24 »

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 12:26:23 AM »

Dude, Vince ain't a frickin beeko.

Dude, I never said Vince was a "frickin beeko".  Dude, maybe you should re-read the original post, nowhere does it say anything about the color of the flesh.
Also, I based my question based on the fact that he stated that he had never seen a wild trout before, which to me, led me to believe that he was still somewhat new to fishing.  Therefore, if he had made a mistake (based on what I had read) then he learns something new without being called a "beeko" by the types of cool guys that you like to "forum" with.

Shane

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 07:56:07 AM »

Sounds like my dollys/bulls might actually go for wool, maybe it has a use after all.Remember, for all those incidentally caught dollys that might take a hook deeply, if the HEMOSTATS wont remove the hook quickly just cut the line, leaving as little as possible.

gman

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 09:34:26 AM »

I once caught a chum in Campbell River that had brighter red meat than a red spring caught the same day. Very odd. Despite the bright red colour, it still tasted the same as the normal coloured chum.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 10:30:01 AM »

Thanks for the tip Leadbelly..it was in fact hemostats that did the trick....popped out no problem, and the little fela was on its way happily.

I have tonnes of hemostats, and all kinds of other crazy medical stuff, because I smoked some coho for my doctor.... ;D

as for your red chum Gman...I am sure, like most animals, flesh colour and texture, and taste are based largely on diet. Whats to say that a group of chum didn't spend a decent amount of time in the precense of some form of krill ....that could colour up their flesh fast......

anyways...both fish were nice enough that I am thinking of going back this afternoon
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 10:31:43 AM by aquaboy24 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »

The point is, why is there a need to even label a newbie who lacks the experience to id fish species a "beeko"? That kind of stereotyping attitude makes your opinion invalid when provided, angers people and discourages others to learn what you have to offer. ::)

Vince, those bull trout are indeed pretty in the Squamish, and expect to hook them up to 8lb in that system. Bull trout are well known for going after big offerings. It's not uncommon to see a tiny one following a big spinner or spoon all the way to your feet. :)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 01:08:26 PM »

The whole beeko thing reminds me very much of when Technical scuba diving took off in 1996. There were Recreational guys calling Techies...welll, techies..., and the techies had a name for Recreationals..and the whole thing got stupid.

I just try to see the positive in anyones comments.

Rod...thanks for the tip on the Bull Trout. My cousin from Guernsey is coming in December/Jan....I would love to go do some C&R bull trout fishing....are they in teh Squamish at that time too?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 02:26:46 PM »

Hey Vince, you'll find those bull trout in the system all the way until early spring as they will be feeding on salmon eggs, salmon carcasses, fingerlings. :)

sean

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 03:55:23 PM »

are jensen eggs considerd bait because there sented or artificial and can you use them in the
squamish river