Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder - Hallowe'en  (Read 4663 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Vedder - Hallowe'en
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:32:16 PM »

7:00am - down from Wilson Rd. - first cast....nice drift then all of a sudden - Swoosh!  Seagull on!   :o  Damned thing just flew right into my line.  Of course (s)he panics, and I now have a gull wrapped in fishing line...dumb bird.  I drag it to shore, much to its chagrin, and try to unwrap it.  Stop, wipe blood from hand that just got skewered by unhappy bird :(  Manage to grab bird by the neck.  Have fleeting thought about the world being a better place with one less gull :D, and then hold gently, while I reach into my pocket for my knife and slit the poor.......line.  Bird is able to flap freely, and I have to let go of its neck, or it's going to break on its own.  Free bird, and me back on the bank retying....nice start to the day  :-[

Many drifts later, nothing for me, or the two guys that are fishing in a spot usually occupied by 30.  It seems this is no longer a "quality" spot.  While fishing, along comes "George".  Now, I've never met George, but he knows me, and he knows you....you see George is a lurker.  (George - I know you're out there)  It's his first time down in this area, and he has a net (his friend told him he'd need one)  What he didn't realize is that you only need a net if you hook fish :(  So, George gets blanked in this area too, and I tell him of some of the "spots" in the vicinity, and I wander off to try other nearby spots myself.  Mostly the day turned into casting practice, but the weather was nice, a cool westerly blew, and now and then a short shower.  The colours of the fall were spectacular, and somehow I didn't mind not catching fish.  The ones that I did see finning were either springs wearing nightime camo, or living carcasses masquerading as chums.  Oh well, keep away from them, and I'll be OK.

At around 1300, I was tossing up leaving, when I decided to try a little area, that has been good for others with blades.  I got there, and had it to myself again (really must be the end of the season...this used to have 5-10 people at it during the last 30 days).  I started drifting, and retrieving a hammered copper colorado, and after about 10 casts - Fish On!  Oh My God!  I was totally surprised, but here's this nice little 5lb Chum - in decent shape (i.e. not making like a leper).  I bring it to the shore, and unhook the blade from it's snout, and send her on her way.   About 5 casts later - Wham!!! Coho!  Unfortunately this one is just shy of Tomato Colour :(  But he gives a great fight....aerials, rolls, runs, Yeehaw!  I bring him to shore, and realize that he's also wild.   Quick flip of the pliers, and a tail splash - he's gone.  Wow...nice to fight a coho for more than a fleeting moment.  I love the way fish hammer the blades!  After tail snagging some brute of an ugly spring, I lost my copper blade, and tied on gold.  No action :(  At about 1430, I call it a day, and make it home in good time (all the traffic must be off by an hour).  Nothing to take home, but a nice big Coho and a fight to go with it.

I think it's time for me to move to the Chehalis next week. 

Cheers!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Vedder - Hallowe'en
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 05:11:53 PM »

Sounds like an ok day. :) How was the water clarity? I guess you didn't find Bug Pumper's honey hole. ;D

HI George. :)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 05:41:51 PM »

Sounds like a nice day. I caught a seagull once the exact same way. It flew into my line as I was casting out, good fight!   BP
Fish on!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 05:50:39 PM »

Hey DS. thanks for the report. That's funny about you catching that seagull. A few years back I managed to catch 2 gulls in two days, I could'nt believe my luck. Hard to get them untangled too let me tell you. But I guess you
know that. Sounds like you had a very nice absorbing day
and you're right I think. The chehalis is the place.
Hi George.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 05:56:20 PM »

I fiished mid river in the morning  with no hookups I went down river almost to the highway bridge in the afternoon and drifted colorado blades .  2 casts 2 chum both with sea lice a few more casts time to go home . I figured you were going fishing this morning when I seen you on line at 5:30 this morning Brian . Next time I will send you a p.m.

I too think it's time to move on maybe flyfish the harrison or the norrish next week :) :)

hey George  :) :)  show yourself ;D

ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 12:39:12 AM »

My friend and I went to the Vedder today, the very spot Rod-san caught his biggest Vedder coho couple weeks ago.   We arrived around 8a.m. and there were only 2 other people fishing down stream from us.

It was my friend’s second time fishing and I wasn’t expecting her to catch anything since she could hardly cast a spinning reel…  :P   I don’t have a spare bait-caster to rend her, so I handed her the short-floating set-up with my biomaster spinning reel.   ::)    I told her how to attach a roe to the bait-loop and she was on her own..lol   

About 15 min. later, I heard her scream, “Ahhh,!”  I thought, “Now what?”   I turned my head and saw her rod bent hard, and the line peeling out!    I put my rod down and ran to her.  At the end of her line, there was a very chrome coho, rolling and rolling…   :o   All I could do was…., nothing, except just to cheer her…  :-[    She manages to pull the fish close to the shore and it was hatchery female.  I jumped in the water, and like what  bears do, practically slapped the fish up the bank.   Not knowing what the chrome coho is worth to fishermen, she timidly said, "Is this fish any good?"  ::)  ::) ::)      She weighed a fish at home and it was 8.4lb. cleaned.  (It was about 10lb. whole, I think)  She gave me half the roe for the cure.   She will be cooking and eating  the other half..

Later she landed 3 clean chums.  :)   Each time, I changed her damaged leader after the fight.   Then, she hooked an another coho.. It jumped very high and the leader snapped……  :o   I forgot to tell her to loosen the drag after fighting with chums previously.  Dohhhh!!!!  Sorry…  My mistake..  :'( :'(

I didn’t hook any coho today, just chums,( all of our landed chums released..)
but it was very satisfying to be a host to a happy guest.  Now I think I know how Rod-san feels, when he takes others fishing and his guests are successful. 

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/pic/pic041031-6.jpg

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 01:06:46 AM »

Uh oh...

1 new-born short floater = 100 less coho for me to catch.... :o ;D

Well done! :)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 07:21:04 AM »

was out at vedder yesterday too...

I managed to land 6 coho, with two being wild. Big  T landed 5 coho with also two wild. I guess I have more luck than him. ;D Near the end of the day   there was a whole group of Chums that were VERY clean. Anyone know how long this Coho run is gonna last?

mark

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »

Hi Dragon, I was the fella that was one of the 2 guys fishing by ya when you caught that flying fish, lol ,opps. I was banging with roe against the far side since first light and well yes nothing. I was the guy you told me when you were fixing your line today was just casting practice,lol. Believe it or not I am still waiting for my first coho this year >:(. Last year at this time I had already landed about 30 coho no word of a lie I don't know what the heck is going on I've gone all over the river and have had no luck all year. I always use my KFC roe , but this year I guess your just lucky is you run into a batch passing by.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 08:51:27 AM »

Was out yesterday afternoon fly fishing...looking at causing Halloween havoc on cohos.
I was experimenting with a new fly pattern that I hope to reduce hook-up with chums.  I seems to be working since I only hook up with 8 chums.  It seems to work for cohos since I got 10 hook-ups.  I landed eight cohos.  

4 have adipose fin or at least part of it left.  I think 2 of them are misclipped.  I let them all go as wild.

I kept 4 hatchery cohos. 3 of them are does and 1 large 14.25 lbs. male.  I broke my coho weight record for the Chedder with this one.

I left at about 1600 after catching and bonking the large male coho.  What a work out it was to carry the fishes on the hike back to where I parked.

Over all, it was great 'trick or treating' the Chedder for cohos. 8) ;)

"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 09:32:34 AM »

Come on, George...just bite the bullet and register as a member..it's easy.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Dubya

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »

Hi y'all...George here.

It was nice to finally meet someone I recognized from this board. Good to hear you got some decent action to wrap up up your day Brian. All I managed was few foul hooked chum and a couple of unknowns that broke me off after a short fight.
Finally decided to get out of Lurkerville and register to join this great community of yours. I've only started to fish the local rivers in the last couple of years, but without much regularity (or success), so I've committed myself to spending more time exploring the river to try and improve my future prospects. Lack of free time limits my yearly fishing to 1 or 2 interior lake trips with buddies, 1 trip to my favorite salmon steam on the Sunshine Coast and whatever I can squeeze in for our local fishery.
I'm learning lots from this from this forum and hope to be able to contribute in the future.

George

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »

:Dwelcome george enjoy your time spent on this board. nice to see you came out of the closet.hehe. participating is better than lurking. hope to meet ya on the river one day :D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:01 PM »

Looks like a lot of guys are having luck. I like luke's story about the friend who got the coho on her second time fishing. Fun to help someone get a fish right Luke?  BP
Fish on!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 10:43:29 PM »

Looks like a lot of guys are having luck. I like luke's story about the friend who got the coho on her second time fishing. Fun to help someone get a fish right Luke?  BP

Hey - next time you're planning on having the truck empty a few hundred just downstream from you, can you call me?  ;D ;)

It's funny, because at times it sounds like we're fishing different rivers ???