Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano November 3rd  (Read 5171 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Capilano November 3rd
« on: November 03, 2004, 07:52:56 PM »

Fished the Capilano for a couple of hours this afternoon. The UIC fishing team was out in force with their long leaders. Lots of fish in the river, unfortunately most are boots. Managed to land a chromer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 12:01:53 PM by Rodney »

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
Re: Capilano
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 08:01:43 PM »

Lots of fish in the river, unfortunately most are boots. Managed to land a chromer.

what type of Salmon are in the Capilano this time of year? I assume Coho and Spring? ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:03:56 PM »

The ones I saw were cohos, springs and chums

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 10:38:47 PM »

Hey FA, I happened to score some time at the Cap today,
from 10 till about 1PM. I fished the Cable to start with, hooked a couple dark ones then proceeded over to Dog Leg. No one there, (smiling) after three casts into my first coho. Landed it, about 6LBS but very dark, safely released. Over the next 45min. using pro-cured spring roe
managed to hook 3 more and only landed one, another dark coho, safely released again. Then a fellow showed up using an ocean single action reel and took residence on the rock just above where I was. He would peel out ten or fifteen feet of line and then attempt to cast. As you
can imagine he was'nt very successful and finally decided to just do what he was there to do any way, which was snag fish. He snagged 3 fish, never landing one and on the fourth fish, a coho snagged in the belly he figured it was just too much trouble to attempt to land it so after a few try's at ripping the hook out, ahh, finally success. Well now I've had about as much as I can handle and I get right in this guy's face and tell him that snagging fish is illegal, and not in a nice way. He shrugs and acts like he does'nt understand a word I'm saying to him. I never wanted to grab someones rod and throw it in the water as much as I did then. But I regained my composure went back to my spot, packed up and left. A disgusting dispay of fishing that leaves one shaking thier heads. Anyway just my rant, sorry and thanks. This guy was 5'7" with thick glasses, dark hair, about 50, european descent and wearing green cheapo graveyard wader's and using an ocean single action reel, big #2 hook and lot's of wool. Is this really what it's come too? Snagging black fish. Time for me to rethink whether I want to be a part of this (new) fishing culture. Thank's everyone and Good Fishing All.   

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 10:46:01 PM »

ATZ - it can be frustrating, but if we don't keep out there, then there will be no one watching.... then what???  DFO can't staff the rivers, they need us to be on the watch, and willing to have some of us step up and say "Give your head a shake!".  Good on ya.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 10:46:27 PM »

Think I saw this guy in the parking lot. Proudly carrying a fish resembling a lump of coal.  ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 10:57:59 PM »

Yeah I know DS. you're right, every little bit helps but man, it is so hard to be six feet away from someone like that and thinking of the damage he's infliciting on those poor fish. What a total loser! And the funny thing is, he probably does'nt even know it because in Romania or the Cheque Republic or who know's where, that's how they do it there. Sad.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 08:31:32 AM »

As some of you know, I often take an hour for myself and rip down to the cap.  I go to the cable pool as it is 2 minutes from my house and usually fishing is relaxing.

I have now given up.  There is just too much my smelly socks on the cap now and with NO enforcement, its only going to get worse.  I can't go there without getting totally stressed out.

There was some dum my friend trailer trash guy flossing springs 2 days ago.  He was halling them in and giving them to any fisher who came by with a liscence!  He stood there proudly holding a doe as she released her eggs all over the rocks and then threw it 8 feet across the rocks into a cravass.  He then proceeded to give it to some asian guy standing up on the platform...it was brutal.  I went down there to collect the loose eggs and shook my head at the guy...he basically said he did it cause it was fun (horsing a boot spring in on heavy gear) and because "he could".   Bug pumper has come home 2 times now in the last couple of trips with 3 coho after RELEASING hatchery chrome coho he could have killed...when will more people start being more respectful of the resource.

These jag-offs don't have a clue.  Nor did the recipient of that boot...but I guess a litre of soy and a pound of ginger should spice up that sawdust tasting fish a little.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 11:06:29 AM »

You are so right Gooey it's absolutely incredible what a few disrespectful fool's are doing not only at the Cap but elsewhere as well. The Cap use to be a place I could find both beauty and solitude. Now, even secluded canyon spots are seeing more souls wandering around than I ever have. I don't mind people fishing if they do it ethically, but more and more are just snagging anything swimming by. When I was there yesterday I told this snagger that he did'nt have to fish like that, that I was using roe and catching fish but all I got back from him was
sorry, no speaka the language. So without staying and getting more stressed out and maybe doing something that I may regret later ::) I just packed up and went on my merry way. It would be cool tho if we could get a bunch of fishermen together and pull a Death Wish, I mean Fish Wish scenario out. Patrol the rivers and when we see snaggers and other such low lifes we would just take away thier fishing rod, throw it in the river, whatever. I mean whats the guy going to do, call DFO. We know they never show up ;D. I am of course just kidding but it is nice to daydream. Good Fishing All.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 11:42:47 AM »

I think the last time I fished the Cable Pool area was in 1999, when one older fella tried to convince me that fish are very willing to bite his stationary rig on the bottom with the tiniest piece of wool on a 1/0 hook. :o ::) :D ;D They sure did, but I just didn't realize fish bite with their fins. :)

Usually I am in the canyon by myself. There is one particular spot that takes awhile to hike to so I rarely see people around. In fact, the last time I saw someone fishing down there beside my friends was on Canada Day 2001.

This growing problem of mistreating the resource at popular spots such as the Cap, Vedder, Stave, Chehalis, Squamish is not an easy one to resolve. A small number of people know very well what they are doing and it is wrong, while most people are simply newbies and have no clue that they are learning the wrong technique. I think what's needed, is a huge information board placed at the top of Cable Pool, parking lot of Lickman Road/Peach Road, Chehalis Hatchery, BC Hydro's picnic area at Stave, etc to inform those who have no idea illegal acts are being committed. This board should clearly illustrate the proper ways of catching and releasing of salmon, distringuish between a fresh chromer and a boot (believe it, a commoner does not know the edible standard of a salmon), acts that are prohibited in sportfishing and generic regulations that need to be followed at all time such as gear restriction. There should also be a small section where latest fishery notices can be posted.

I think the general public that does not fish wouldn't have a clue what flossing is, what a snagged fish is or what a "boot" is. When non-fishers walk by the river and see something like this going on, they probably don't like it but they probably just assume that it is sportfishing. How else would they know that it is not?

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 12:06:03 PM »

I have to agree with you guys on the s--t that goes on at the Cap. It's hard to fish there without having your day ruined by watching fools.

Last two times I have been there I have yelled at dudes snagging fish. One of the tools was sitting on the rocks right under the bridge snagging springs while a whole crowd of tourists watched. This guy had tail snagged a spring and was wrestling it. His buddy was getting ready with the big net.

me: "Hey, that fish is foul snagged in the tail you can't keep it"

him: "Ya i know, we aren't keeping any"

me: "Then what's with the big my friend net!"

After that, the net fellow, who looked like he should have know better, sheepishly but the net away.

I firgure, maybe it was an honest mistake and continue on my way.

A couple hours later, on the walk back to the parking. I stop to watch the same fellow, now fishing at dusk without float and REEFING his line across the backs of the spawners.

me: "Still snagged em' eh dude?!"

him (surprised that anyone is watchin): "I'm not snagging"

me: "I've been watching you for the last 5 minutes fool, don't be a loser"

him; "Well I have been fishing legally all day..."

me: "So that makes it okay now?! Fish for real or don't fish at all Fool!"

him (tough guy voice): "what did you say?!"

me (very loud): "Fish for REAL, FOOL, you heard me!!"  (the entire canyon heard me)

I don't know what to do, signs get put up.... they get torn down. The copy of the ticket issued last year, torn down. The steelhead sign, torn down.

I had to point out to young fellow who was eagery trying to 'get' a booty old steelhead, "no man, you leave those fish alone"

Everytime I go there, fools are snagging, using bait during bans, barbs, no licence, no salmon tag.

Besides actually physically dealing with these tools, what is the answer?

Maybe if a DFO guy would roll by, even just a couple times a year, and hand out a whack of warnings and tickets??  what is the answer??  :'(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano November 3rd
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 12:56:21 PM »

I haven't seen a CO at the Cap since Max retired.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 03:10:45 PM »

Was there in july... 2 conservation officers showed up and busted a crap load of people for barbed hook and all that sorta crap! If you see someone doing anything illegal always report them even if you dont think the co's gonna show up.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 03:17:21 PM »

yeah....I had a few run ins over hte past year...always fun.

Just another eason to bring the fishing club.

kidding..relax

Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 11:50:45 AM »

maybe the head of dfo.....federal fisheries minister however should be sent a wack of photos showing people snagging fish.  maybe we should just email the federal fisheries minister with snagging reports on a daily basis. whatever but i think dfo is a lame duck and that bc fisheries personnel should get involved and hand out huge fines for illegal fishing. if dfo does not want the money then our prov government could sure use the cash windfall. ;D