Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehailis Nov. 6  (Read 5410 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Chehailis Nov. 6
« on: November 06, 2004, 06:55:54 PM »

Went out today to see if I could repeat my luck from earlyer this week. Started off by hitting the canyon, fished my usual spot for an hour and a half and all I had to show for it was about a 10 second coho hookup and way too many chums. Seemed like the coho just weren't there like they were before.
After that I tried walking down from the hatchery through the forest. Found alot of stagnent pools filled with coho. Tried tossing a spinner for a while with no luck. My friend tried chucking flies, same result. Finally at the end of the day I found a small pool with some coho battling with chums. Ended up hooking into two before I spooked the spot. I don't know where all the fish went today but it sure wasn't good. Saw a grand total of 4 coho caught 3 of which were caught by snaggers.
Actions speak louder than words.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chehailis Nov. 6
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 08:14:09 PM »

how  was the water conditions?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 08:17:24 PM »

FishGuts

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 12:25:35 PM »

I was out as well Sat, very slow, things are tailing off there now with lots of dark fish around now. The river has been excellant this year since thanksgiving with many dozen plus coho hookups (shortfloating) a day and a freezer overflowing with fish. Not sure where the crowds have been, has been busy but not like in the past during coho season, I guess everyones still been tryin the vedder.  Some how reports like this have managed to stay off the internet this year maybe thats why, made a great 2 weeks holiday for me. Some very large chrome fish around seen one that was bigger than the springs sitting in the run we were fishing estimate 25lbs plus as it porposed in front of us a few times. Been a large number of springs around more than ive seen in the past and of course the chum are everywhere. Fishing there is not over yet but the main runs has gone thru already, so get out there while you can.

Tight Lines....

coffeegrinder

• Is it a Coho!, I can't see.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 09:08:04 AM »

I was out with my son on Saturday at the Chehailis , we started at the hatchery, otherwise known as ''The Gauntlett'' lots of chum , didn't see any coho . Looked in the hatchery channel seen around 6 or 7 dark coho . After my son was tired of nailing one chum after another, and hooking a big spring we had enough of that place . The water was low and clear ,lucky there was any water at all!. We tracked up to the Easter Seal run and it was slow there to . I saw one coho flossed  or snagged , you never can tell either way because the guy walks down river with the fish so no one can see where the fish was hooked . Needless to say he came back up the river with about a 8 lb chrome coho. Any way my son and I had fun just getting on the river and having a good day fishing , like the Flyguy44 says ''Any day on the river is a good day . :)

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
Re: Chehailis Nov. 8
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 07:17:08 PM »

Fished Chehalis today ??? :-X :-\ :P well ..tried.
Water is low , very low and full of old chum that will
quickly take all your tie ups . Dont waste your gas...

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 07:34:15 PM »

Sometimes I walk my fish down the river so I don't break my line.....so watch the generalizing....because I am not flossing.
You don't make friends with salad.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 07:46:46 PM »

And also not to mention the fact that I do not want to get tangle up with other fishermen eh???

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 08:03:25 PM »

all i am using is #4 hook and 6-8 lb leader for coho,you have to play with the fish first,cant just horse it in.so i totaly agree with aquaboy24 and steelieman

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 08:35:32 PM »

Belly rippin , fin grabbin, flossing ,dirty rottin.... ::) :-X :P
 ;D ;D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 09:05:02 PM »

whatever steelie
You don't make friends with salad.

FiShGutZ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

I have to admit that I am a lurker 95% of the time because of posts loke coffegrinder.
Just because someone played a fish away from you does not mean that it was snagged or flossed.
Lately I've been noticing and not just on this fishing board that there is soooo much "ehtical" crap going on with fishermen out there.
Some ppl seem to think that they are the ultimate fisherman and it's their way or else the fish was flossed, or snagged or their a beek and what have you. What ever happened to just going out to have an enjoyable time on the river. Seems like those guys are out there more worried about other ppl and the way they fish that they seem to forget th REAL reason they are on the river. Don't get me wrong, if you see someone out there breaking the rules that are in the REGULATION book then educate them politley, instead of assuming that they are doing wrong. For example, was out at the chehalis the other day and I walked by and angler that had a spinning reel and basically a trout set up. He seemed like he was having a good time out there and I greeted him with a hello. Buddy a few anglers down from him as I walk by goes to me.."F-----ing guy doesn't know how to fish"
What the hell is that about?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 12:25:56 AM »

Right On FiShGutZ. I've noticed the same thing. It's the same bunch who seems to think that their way is the only way to fish.

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 03:15:11 AM »

I saw one coho flossed  or snagged , you never can tell either way because the guy walks down river with the fish so no one can see where the fish was hooked .
It seems that we are losing excellant contributors on this board because of the negativity of some, so sad  :( A healthy knowledgable discussion is one thing. blind accusations or conjecture is uncalled for. Education is the key  ;) Keep it friendly guys and girls or we we will turn this into just another flaming fishing site.  Now I am off for my first ever crack at some Thomson Steelhead,  :D thats another discussion for another day  ;D tight lines.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:23:26 AM by sassyboy »

JustinG

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 08:22:07 AM »

We hit the Chehalis last Saturday (along with everyone else with a rod). Did a little exploring...the section we did walk was very busy. Lots of guys fishing and lots of guys harvesting....so we didn't bother throwing in at all. Have to try the canyon one day. The hatchery channels looked pretty full - the canal from the hatchery to the river was nearly empty.

Moved on to the Harrison and hooked a chum near one of the log booms.

Moved on to Dewdney...hooked another chum.

All our fish were hooked on colorado blades.

Cheers