Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Huge black bear at Norrish  (Read 6539 times)

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
Huge black bear at Norrish
« on: November 09, 2004, 06:22:47 PM »

There is a huge black bear at Norrish Creek so be extra careful! I saw the bear as I was walking up river from the train bridge. It was only twenty yards away, and luckily for me it took off into the bush. Also talked to two others who saw it as they were coming back from the upper end. One of the guys said the bear was so big that it scared the living daylights out of him.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Re: Huge black bear at Norrish
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:53:56 PM »

how was the fishing.
I like ROE

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 07:07:27 PM »

Landed and released a couple of tomatoes. One fella killed a real ripe tomato and another guy killed a bronzie. Was good last week but slim pickings at the moment. The water was dropping quickly so it won't be any good until it rains again.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:37:25 PM »

birdman, Stave, Chehalis, Nicomen, and other systems on the north side of Fraser will all have coho in November and early December. It comes down to whether you can find them or not. Getting into them will not be as frequent as October, but some walking etc will increase your chance. Good luck. And watch out for that big bear, we want to see you back here after your birthday. :)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 09:08:26 PM »

For the past several years that I have been fishing Norrish, the amount of bear sign has been astounding. Piles of corn laden my smelly socks, criss crossing paths worn in the grass (in fact the trail we walk in is not made by humans), and scores of mostly consumed chum yarded up on the bank, or relatively whole fish with teeth puncture wounds. My son and I came across his prints on Sunday in the sand and they were as large as my palm.  I started to take notice after that and was a tad on edge as we made our way out a little too past dusk. Call me a Nervous Nellie but I did check the position of my knife on my belt on at least one occasion.

Have only ever seen one at Norrish once though. Three years ago we were walking in at daybreak and saw this very large black Labrador dog humping it across the corn field toward the treeline. 'That's a big dog' I thought 'and it's running awfully funny-like ' Of course, the 'dog' turned into the very same trail that we were going to take. I think I checked my knife on that occasion too.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 09:30:38 PM »

.....very large black Labrador dog humping it across the corn field.....

Say what? :o Had to read that twice. :)

Come on, quit scaring people off your favorite fishing spot. ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 10:16:18 PM »

Not a word of a lie. Fortunately, I like fishing for coho just a little more than I'm afraid of black bears. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

No I believe you, was just teasing. Actually a few of us have been discussing about recent sightings of bear prints etc lately... How concerned should we be when it comes to black bears? And what are some of the precautions people taking to ensure there wouldn't be any incidents....? :-\

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 10:49:34 PM »

What I heard from friends who are in environmental science is that bears haven't had enough of food this summer, and they are coming closer to people in search for last bits of food before hibernating.
From that point, I do not think bear population exploded, but everybody should be cautious as they could be more agressive.

In general I would visit any of government sites with bear advices (bc parks site, ....) and look for answers. When I go for my hikes, I try to follow all bear precautions. I would offer following suggestions, but there are many more, make noise as you move, do not wipe your hands dirty from fish or food off your clothes, be very well avare of your surroundings, never panic (I have been very close to bears - 20-30 feet but not being attacked), never run away from any black bear, make your self big if bear starts approaching (jump on the log), always face the bear, fight back if attacked by a black bear (I never tested this so you have to take this with a pinch of doubt), maybe invest in a paper spray ? - all this and many other advices apply to black bears only - grizzlies are different ball game.

The most important advice - spend some time in researching for the material on bear safety on internet on somewhere else. Do not be arrogant, and blame the animal. We are intruding their natural habitat, they are stronger, and we should give them a respect.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 11:30:54 PM »

Just imagine this SOB coming at you:

1600 lbs, over 14 ft high at the head.

It had killed 2 people within 72 hours of it's own death.

Biggest grizzly on record to ever be killed.

The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic Rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was Still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 01:19:27 PM by Spudcote »
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 07:50:51 PM »

i was followed once by a black bear in a trail along stave lake. since then i have never ventured alone in these areas. the norrish can wait until my buddy gets over his cold. invest in a survival knife when fishing wilderness areas. having a knife in the wild will give you confidence when facing a troubling situation.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 12:53:25 AM »

Knife?? :)

I would use it if nothing else there is to do, but have you ever seen a bear up close? 100s of punds of meat, big teeth and claws.

NiceFish gave a very detailed description what to do, which I was lazy to type. Only what I am not sure about doing is wasting of my peper spray before a bear is very close. I would save it for a big burst right into face of it rather than hoping I do not over use it. I guess this goes with confidence.

Do not feel overly self confident with any knife.

Robbie

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 10:32:02 AM »

Did anybody else have trouble seeing the link of the bear?  All it did was redirect me to the Hotmail login page.

boomer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 01:10:19 PM »

I had problems too

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 01:19:44 PM »

Better ?
Early to bed,