Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Nov 11  (Read 6622 times)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Chehalis Nov 11
« on: November 11, 2004, 12:46:07 PM »

Got out and was disapointed by how few coho were around, lots of old boot chums but very few coho and the ones we saw were pretty much done. Wandered all over that damn river, up and down, my usual honey holes were barren. Lots of guys advising the local band giving them the boot, gotta be a reason?. I have never seen it so bad for coho at this time of year there, usually paved with coho about now.
Lots of the usual clowns keeping blackie boot fish, I guess they feel something can be made with the stuff, YUK.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 07:56:04 PM by sgt.slaughter »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis Nov 11
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 02:13:38 PM »

Keep in mind the commercial fisheries with a 30% coho bicatch  :-[
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:19:05 PM »

Dug this up.......

Native Fishing

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 05:56:06 PM »

Yeah, I did hear from one group of guys the locals were netting today, guess nobody really cares, well it sure seems to have impacted the coho fishery, really a shame. I have caught coho this year but man, this is by far the worst year I have ever seen hands down on more than just the Chehalis system, some small rivers that are usually thriving dont even have a hint of fish in them. :'(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 07:54:57 PM by sgt.slaughter »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 09:51:48 PM »

you have to remember lots of fish move through the river during the night towards the canyon and beyond.thats what the fella at the hatchery told me. but still the natives do take their toll on the fish.

coffeegrinder

• Is it a Coho!, I can't see.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 08:51:35 AM »

If your into taking a drive up the logging road towards chehailis lake , just before the boundry bridge , park just past the bridge then hike down to the right . There is a nice piece of the chehailis river to fish. Just beware of bears! :o

coffeegrinder

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 08:54:49 AM »

Also if you have a good topo map there are other 4x4 access points to the river. :)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 05:31:50 PM »

Went out to the chehailis today to check it out. Rumors seem to be true, very few coho in the canyon and not too many elsewhere. Finally found one decent spot with a fair number coho mixed in with the chums but unfortunatley, the chums were too aggressive and kept hitting my flies before I could get them down to the coho. Ended up briefly hooking one but that was it.

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 06:11:05 PM »

This is the worst coho year that I have ever seen at the Chehalis. With water level the way it is, Sgt wasn't kidding when he said the river should be paved with them. We even hiked into the canyon, man, and only found 5 or 6 coho in each pool when there should have been 200. My buddy and I have fished the Chehalis about ten days this year and we only have 12 coho each. Man, at this time last year we would have killed our 20 and C&R 50 more.

The FN must be doing one hell of a job netting them at the mouth, or boxing them off in the reserve.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 06:39:14 PM »

This is the worst coho year that I have ever seen at the Chehalis. With water level the way it is, Sgt wasn't kidding when he said the river should be paved with them. We even hiked into the canyon, man, and only found 5 or 6 coho in each pool when there should have been 200. My buddy and I have fished the Chehalis about ten days this year and we only have 12 coho each. Man, at this time last year we would have killed our 20 and C&R 50 more.

The FN must be doing one hell of a job netting them at the mouth, or boxing them off in the reserve.

Earlier this year my usual spots were 'paved' with fish but in the last week and a half its really tapered off. I don't know whats going on but something ain't right.

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 06:45:20 PM »

Biff, there is something hugely wrong, man. In the canyon pools the chum outnumber the coho 10 to 1  and any other year the coho outnumber the chum 20 to 1. It ain't worth busting your butt hiking in anymore.

coffeegrinder

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 10:30:28 AM »

I hiked down from the hatchery about a mile or more , almost to the mouth . Not many coho worth casting for . Not alot of water to fish. Came all the way back and up in the canyon and finally hooked in to a coho for about 5 seconds Thats about all . Good hike though. I've fished this river for about 15 years now and almost come to a bitter end ! . What can you do?  . I guess one could just go to the Fraser set up the bar rig and just kick back and have a few beer . Come home and tell the wife how many double headers you had on , LOL .

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 11:00:25 AM »

I must concure, all my regular haunts on the Chehalis are very quite...I have had one good day (10+ coho to the beach) out of 3 trips.  I thinkit must be the netting activity...seems like there arent any fish anywhere!

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 11:42:52 AM »

The situation at hand is very concerning, it is not just the Chehalis, I am finding lots of once vibrant waters producing very poor results. But the most shocking is definitely the Chehalis.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 05:55:23 PM »

Spent most of the day on the chehalis today. Fished just about everywhere, top to bottom. Ended up finding a decent spot and hooked 4 coho. Got all of them within inches but couldn't land them because I was up on a ledge and had no net. Disturbing thing was 2 of the 4 fish had net marks on them.