Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm smoking! - Help Habitat Fundraiser  (Read 7269 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
I'm smoking! - Help Habitat Fundraiser
« on: November 13, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »

Well, I just returned from the Help Habitat Fundraiser. Once again Dave Lamson and the keen folks of Chilliwack have done a great job for organizing the event. Despite the poor selling of tickets (approx. 250 out of 600), lots of money were made from the live and silent auction, plus various other donations. I'll get a final total from Dave soon, but I would think around 6000 to 8000 were raised.

So how does it feel to win $1000? Well, I wouldn't know, since I didn't win it. :( Not even the $500 and $250, so much for the 1/40 chance.... ;D

Then it was time to check out the silent auction. Some excellent products.... I had my eyes on the Shimano spinning rod and Shimano Sonora 2500 spinning reel..... The retail of that setup would have been around 90... I think the final bid was around 37. Guess who had it down for 35 and wandered off before closing? ::)

The live auction was pretty good too. Fred's custom driftrod that went for about 100 was beautiful.... I had to look away so I would not be tempted...

Then the smoker came out.... <sigh...> I walked by the front. Chris said, "Hey! You need a smoker Rod!" Well, thanks Chris... ;D Bidding starts... starting bid: $60.

Someone: $60!
Mrs Rerigger: $65!
I looked around as no one was raising their eye brows... so...
Me: $70!
Mrs Rerigger: $75!

So what was going through my mind at the time? The two filleted chum in the fridge.... happily sitting in the brine....

Me: $80!
Mrs Rerigger: $85!
Me: $90!
Mrs Rerigger: $95!
Me: $100!!

<pause>

Mrs Rerigger: <sighs...> $105!!
Me: $110!!

<crowd gasped. Me? Thinking, "Do you have too much money?">

Mrs Rerigger: $115.... He'll just go higher.... He really wants that!
Me: $120!

SOLD!!!

So now I have a True North smoker sitting in the garage.... I think I paid the same as almost retail. That's ok, as I was going to buy one this year anyways. :) The prize was donated by Hubs. Sorry Rerigger, I really really have the urge to taste some smoked chum right now! ;D

Oh yes, the lunch was excellent. Smoked salmon, elk sausages, moose stew, bread, chips and various other snacks. Thanks to Frank Kwak of Fraser Valley Salmon Society for putting together a great meal once again. :)

I thank those who bought tickets from me. Your money is going towards the completion of the slide project to ensure the bank does not get washed away any further during high discharge. This means more better fishing days with clearer water. Basically, your money will reflect better fishing result.... Well..... :D

If you were there, and have any suggestions on how to make the event better, such as attracting more visitors etc, please post them so I can pass them onto Dave during future meetings. :) Now I have to go smoking...... ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: I'm smoking! - Help Habitat Fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 05:28:11 PM »

hi rodney,is ok you are almost paying retail price,but is a donation,that what its count..now you can go and smoke your chums ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 05:40:40 PM »

Yes indeed, oh and since that money was for Christmas present(s), I guess Nina is getting a smoker for this Christmas..... :D :o :D :o :D :o

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 05:46:54 PM »

by the time,christmas day arrived,that smoker will become ol and used....that buy her a brand new big diamond ring.be a man ;D ;D ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 05:52:22 PM »

I remembered that it was today, while I was casting at the Chehalis  - around 1300 :(  I probably won a door prize, but wasn't there :D

Good for you Rod!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 07:54:30 PM »

Rodney,

It's almost Xmas anyways - wrap the smoker up for Nina.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »

Give the True North smoker to Nina. I have a Little Chief and Big Chief smoker I can sell you...... cheap

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 08:20:53 PM »

rod smokings bad for your health
says me tounge poking through my cheek
especially when done indoors rotflmao
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 11:46:37 PM »

Darn, now I know about the smoker and it wouldn't be a suprise if Rodney gave it to me for christmas, so I guess he has to go out and buy something else....... :D  :-*

Besides, Rodney already has a smoker lying around in my house........ ::)

by the time,christmas day arrived,that smoker will become ol and used....that buy her a brand new big diamond ring.be a man ;D ;D ;D

Hear, Hear!!  ;D  ;D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 12:39:37 AM »

You're evil  ;D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 05:11:13 AM »

i tried for that little rod and reel combo my last bid was $48 and it went for $50 ,i should have gone back and rebid .
my wife ended up winning the binoculars and radio package for $60 and a great shirt for $21.
sorry she bid you up on the smoker Rod but she went with the intention of spending money and supporting the society.
we had a good time thanks for informing us,its to bad there wasn't better participation .

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 05:13:20 AM »

oh and that custom rod from fred's was a beauty
it went higher than $100

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »

isorry she bid you up on the smoker Rod but she went with the intention of spending money and supporting the society.
we had a good time thanks for informing us,its to bad there wasn't better participation .

No apologies needed. I think the little drama lit up the atmosphere in the room. ;D When Dave told me the night before about the smoker, I made sure I put my cheque book in the car the next morning.... ;)

Hear, Hear!!  ;D  ;D

Diamonds?! Why would you want a rock when you can get a fantastic gift that can keep producing these yummy smoked salmon fillets....? :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 01:45:07 AM »

Message from Dave Lamson, president of CRAC.

Congratulations everyone on a job well done. Thank you volunteers, and prize and merchandise donors.  The Chilliwack River again is the big winner.

We had an excellent lunch with about 120 in attendance.  Everyone enjoyed the lunch, auctions and the door prizes. 

Raffle Winners

1st  $1,000.00  Doug Storozynski
    2nd $ 500.00    Barry Penner (our MLA)
    3rd  $ 250.00    Dean Werk

Barry Penner our MLA graciously donated his prize money back to the Chilliwack River Action Committee to go toward our habitat restoration projects. Thank you Barry.

The fundraiser raised approximately $3,800. clear. Add to this the $500.00 from Barry brings the sum up to $4,300.00. That's a lot more than last year.

This money works as seed money necessary when applying to funding agencies like the Pacific Salmon Foundation and the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund for project money. Habitats Restoration work requires big equipment and professional help which is costly. 

Our projects next year are:

1. Completing the Stabilizing of the Tolmie Clay Slide
    2. Off-channel spawning and rearing ponds next to Lovely Pond, Ryder Creek and Thompson Park.

We also have commitments for next year from:

Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association:$2,000.00
    Chilliwack River Ratepayers Association:$2,000.00
    Fraser Valley Regional District electoral Area E:$5,000.00
    Chilliwack Bingo (we work for this):$5,000.00

Habitat restoration is the single most important thing we can do to assure the sustainability of our fishery resources and future sport fishing opportunity.  Thanks again, we are well on our way.

Dave Lamson

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 05:38:00 AM »

Diamonds?! Why would you want a rock when you can get a fantastic gift that can keep producing these yummy smoked salmon fillets....? :)

Again I say I still have your stinking smoker in my house and in my oppinion the best smoked fish is the one you buy in Denmark...mmm....soo good  ;D  ;)