Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dewdney Nov 16'th...  (Read 2684 times)

Eskimo

Dewdney Nov 16'th...
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:19:07 PM »

After dropping the kids off at school, (Mission), I thought I'd take the fly rod out to the Chehalis to see if the rain brought some fish in.   The tide was just about peaking as I crossed the Dewdney Slough and it was alive with rolling coho's, (my apologies if you were the people behind me as I "yarded" on the brakes...).  Now the banks of the slough make it a little hard to fly fish but I was still able to roll cast out up to 40' which was close enough to the fish.    There were some clean ones, and some really red ones,  and I got.... Nada.  Still 0 for this year.   Another angler showed up beside me, (also saw the rolling fish), and cast some spinners.  He had one on and a seal promptly ruined his luck.   I left to try up-stream, at the end of the firehall road.  Lots of rollers, still 0 for the year.   I might have to suck it up and pull out the hardware.....  ;D

Anyway, it was getting quiet by 11:00 am and then my daughter's school called - she is sick.  Oh well - family first, I might be able to try again tomorrow....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 01:21:20 PM by Eskimo »

reach

• Yard work can wait.
Re: Dewdney Nov 16'th...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »

When I was there last week some other fly fishermen had walked down the dike from the bridge and were fishing from shore on the east side.  There are some spots there which would have room for a back cast (especially if you wade out a bit).

That's encouraging to hear there are some coho in there.  I didn't see any coho showing when I was there (except for the wild one I caught  ;D ).  It was all chums.

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
Re: Dewdney Nov 16'th...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:28:55 PM »

If you get there when the tide pushes you have a better chance at some fresh coho. Find the tide time for Vancouver and add 21/2 - 3 hours .  Worked for me last friday. high tide was 6:09 Vancouver and at 8:30 fish on. Nice bright silver coho. Not to far from bridge. Not on the fly though. Was on brass and red stripe crocodile.  Was also lots of chum that are already dark on the belly. Saw a few fly guys but didn't see them hook up. On good year you get limit in hour and go home. Not this year!