Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stamp - Dec 27-28th  (Read 4833 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Stamp - Dec 27-28th
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:46:04 AM »

Hi Gang, Happy New all, nice to see the board finally back in action (kinda like our steelhead gear).

Well I must say that the stamp provide 3 friends and I with a trip to remember!  Bug Pumper, Steely Ryu, a buddy Rob, and I all headed over to the stamp for a 2 day trip. 

The first day we arrived on the stamp an hour after day break and fished various pools that were marked off on a map we aquired at a local tackle shop.  It was more of a casual day as none of us had fished the river in years and we all were basicallt newbies to this particular river.  We fished 4 holes over the space of the day and that produced 1 wild buck about 5-6 lbs - not terribly exciting results. 

Its a beautiful river to fish, lots of nice water, the river that day had a good flow and color too...everything looked great.  Its quite a big river tho and being new to it, we just couldn't find where they were hiding.

This particularly worried me as the next day we had booked a guide (2 jet boats) and the trip was a significant investment for all of us; I was really hoping we would all get into fish.

Well, the next day rolled around, and we were all very excited to be out on the stamp with a professional.  we launched at about 8am and headed up river.  The first spot our guide wanted to fish already had a boat in it.  I was quite surprised at the activity on the river....there were 10-12 boats working the river that day. 

Well it turned out that the first bit of good luck was having that boat beat us to that spot.  We settled into another lay and started fishing.  Now the guide had told us that these fish usually hit things on the first cast so when 20 minutes had passed with not a hook up I started to wonder if the fish were going to cooperate.  Well shortly after that they did! 

Out of that one section of river we finally ended with 7 or so hook ups 3 for me and 5 for my buddy Rob - 5-6 of those hook ups were boated.  The fish were all caught on roe bags, my first time really using this bait so that was quite a valuable experience.  Another interesting thing about it is that the strip of water we were fishing was water that rob and I both admitted we would have probably walked right past it with out a cast!

After that section seemed addiquately fished we moved up river to start fishing the pockets.  After each pocket was fished thoroughly the guide would nose the boat over and we would take a look into the hole.  More often than not we would spot fish in the hole, hunkered down, not biting. 

Had we just got lucky and  hit a morning tide with some fresh moving fish?  At that point that was my best guess, but I figured the rest of the day was propably going to require a lot more work, hammering these pockets and seems.  Fishing from a boat tho, that type of fishing is very enjoyable as not much time and effort is wasted hiking in and out of different holes. 

Indeed we eventually did find another 3 or so fish in the choppy stuff, one of which for me was a 14.2lb hatchery doe!  That single fish made the trip for me as it took us thru several rapids and made some huge runs before we were able to slip it into the net!

After that we headed back down river to the area that producd so well for us in the morning.  That run did yield one more 12lb wild fish and that essentialy marked the end of the day.  We also bumped into Bug pumper and Ryu at that time and I think they had 6 or so fish to their boat too.

All in all it was a great trip, well worth the $300 I spent on the guide/gas/food/ferry etc.  I think the info I took away from that trip will pay large dividends this season on the vedder...when I actually find the time to make my first trip!

We all have some great pics so stay tuned, we will get them pulled together soon hopefully!  And I am sure that once bugs wakes up this moring he will have some more to ad after a month of not posting!

ahans

• I'm a llama!
Re: Stamp - Dec 27-28th
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 09:04:55 AM »

Nice going Gooey. Never been to the Stamp but hoping to make a trip sometimes this year. Gald to hear you had quite a few hookups. I've been out to the Vedder twice for Steelhead....nothing to show for  :(. Well maybe next Friday. Just glad to see hear from you and the rest of the gang again. Good luck if you're heading out to the Vedder soon.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »

Ya that was an excellent trip Gooey, I'll do that again. I have to get going but will tell a few good stories tonight.  BP
Fish on!

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 06:44:06 PM »

Who was your guide?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:23:37 PM »

Rolly was gooeys guide, I was with Josh.  It didn't take long for us to get into fish either. Josh took me and steely Ryu to a nice seam and at the first or second drift my float goes down, hookset and..no fish.  dam! I'm sure it was a fish, I slowly retrieve my line and am scaning where I want to toss my next drift to pick up that missed fish when it comes up behind my retrieving roe sac, forming a "V" on the surface and bites hard!!  Fish on! Great fight and pulling out line and we work it into some smooth water. I see its a hatchery male and decide to release it. We have a good video and pictures of this fish. I'll see if I can post it. We go back to the same spot and in 2 minutes I yell fish on again. Another great fight and as it gets closer its another hatchery male, I decide to release it as well so Josh puts the net away. As its splashing near the boat it gets away but we decide to count it as caught because we could have netted it.  10 min later the float goes down again and I have another fish on. It turns out to be a fat 2lb baby steelhead. Steely Ryu has been good natured and happy for me but he really wants to get a fish now. Josh now decides to take us downriver and as we pass Gooey and Rob they signal that they have had two so far. In the next spot after a few minutes my float goes down but no fish, after a few more drifts it goes down again and another steelhead is thrashing the surface but I lose it after 5 seconds. Further downriver I hook another steelhead and its a wild one, after a good fight I lose it near the boat. Steely is getting REALLY anxious to get a fish now but is still in a good mood. 10 min later my float goes down but no fish again. We try more drifts and the floats go down once in a while with no hookup. Josh suspects its a trout and sure enough I finally catch it.  Now he takes us upriver but its slow, as we drift down Steelys float goes down.. hookset and.. nothing. We really suspect its a fish and as its my turn to cast I tell steely to cast instead so he can get first shot at it. Sure enough a steelhead hits and he sets the hook well. We laugh and I tell him "you owe me one buddy" He does a great job playing the fish and releases a wild doe about 9lbs.Steely then catches a nice 3lb trout and loses a steelhead later. All in all it was a great trip and I would recomend Murphies sport fishing to anyone.   BP
Fish on!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:41:13 PM »

We went with the Murphy's.  The accomodation are very comfortable, the cook had a great breakfast ready for us to start thew day off, nice people all round...I would highly recommend them!  

There were 2 minor things that did disappoint me tho .  The first was the gear.  We had our own rods but the guide was supplying  terminal tackle.  He had  6 #2 and 6 #1/0 hooks tide up one a leader board...thats it.  Didn't have any pink worms tied or spin n glo's etc.  We did end up tieing 1 or 2 bait loops ourselves by the end of the day.  

As well, we ran out of roe sacks around 11 and burnt thru all of his skeen roe as well.  Considering roe bags were the weapon of choice and they really do help conserve bait, I was surprised he didnt have 50 of em tied up. Later  I made a statement like, I guess when a guest is flying out or doesnt want to  keep the roe then you can stock pile some nice steelhead roe and his response is that you use my bait so you replenish it.  I was more or less forced into giving him half of my 14lb doe's roe and I was looking forward to having it for the vedder.  We had a 7lb doe that rob bonked and he took all its roe (rob's choice) but when I went to bag my fish's roe he said I'll take half of that.  Just wasn't the best way to end a great day fishing.  If it were a budy's roe i was using, fair enough but we paid him to take us out.  Would we have had to stop at the gas station and buy herring if we had been cut plugging with him all day!?!  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 10:04:42 PM »

We fished with Rolly some years back and yes he is a very good guide. We had the same thing with roe running out. At the end of the day we had to string a bunch of single eggs to put on the hook. Rolly kept telling us to change our roe every 6 casts or so. The problem was he didn't bring enough for the two of us. How much was the Murphy's charging for your stay ?

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:11:56 PM »

I've used Rolley and Josh, but in my opinion Nick Hnennyj. is by FAR the better guide. He owns West Coast river charters. I think part of hiring a guide is his personality and Nick has lots of personality. Sorry, I just had to give the guy a plug.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 11:49:34 PM »

Gooey's Photos

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 08:01:32 AM »

As I recall, the room was $60 a night and the charter was $350 for the boat ($175 each)...is that right bugz?

I really liked Rolley and would go back in a heart beat...like I said those issues were very minor in the grand sceam of things.

The thing I was most impressed with was the size of the fish on the river.  I thought the stamp produced a lot of 5-7 lb fish.  Rob and I beached 2 fish in around 5-7, 4 fish 8-10, and a 12 & 14 lb'er...it was a nice surprise.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 11:49:41 AM »

Saw you boyz out there that day. Good to hear you had as much FUN and success as we did  ;D
Although a lot of Stamp fish are in the 6-8 pound range, there awaits many suprizes, and fish up to twenty or so are caught each year. Thus far, a 19.2 Hatch hen (taken out of Nick's boat BTW) is leading the board at Gone Fishin'. Had one at 15 thus far myself, and always looking for another "biggie".

Murph's boyz are good, and know the flow well, if the fish are in, they'll find 'em. Nick is also EXCELLENT! He is usually willing to go the extra mile for his clients, and a GREAT personailty to boot. Kenny Myers is another good rod, and knows where to get you into them. Whoever you go with, the Stamp is a fine flow, and will likely provide many fond memories of hard-fightin' chrome!

Cheers,
Nog

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

what boat were you in, if you saw us, we probably saw you!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »

A buddy's  ;)
16 foot sled w/ a 50 jet. Long-term resident, goes by the handle Steelheader - well deserved BTW.
Three of us that day, two Islander pins, and a Calcutta.
Cheers,
Nog

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 04:27:47 PM »

Nick is also EXCELLENT! He is usually willing to go the extra mile for his clients, and a GREAT personailty to boot.
Cheers,
Nog
I guess you have not been at service road and have Nick go wild on you for also being in a jet boat and fishing the river?

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »

I was fishing at the stamp on the 27th. Fished at the bucket and the paper mill. Saw a guy get a big one it was 15 or 19. i think it was that one nog mentioned it was caught on the airport side just above the rapids at the mill. I didnt get anything but i had a little mink or something follow me all day. It was a nice river.