Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feb. 7, Vedder, A Day Of Brood Capture And Improving The Average.  (Read 5030 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

After last nights exercise of pumping the bugs and putting them to be bed in paper towel as well in a number of containers I did not get to bed until 1. ::)

I awoke at 6 looked out at the frost on the roof of the house so dove back under the covers.

I finally hit the floor once again at 7:30 and per Fish Assassin instruction I changed the paper towels in each of the containers, I felt a little like a mother changing the diapers for 50 babies. ;D

I picked out 4 that succumbed during the night, will cook them in pro cure later as they although very fragile you can get a few casts out of them.

I finally arrive at the river at 9:30 and meet up with Don at the parking lot. We walk to the river together and he decides to go down stream a bit so I hit a side stream. Another anglers stops to fish it also so I slip above him. He works the run and then heads in the direction of Don. I work down to the tail out and then reverse direction and work up to the top where it narrows down. I just start to think if a steelhead works up this far it may stop there below a fairly shallow riffle that leads back to the main river once again.

Armed to the teeth with the bugs I decide to use to use them all day while they are nice and fresh. I throw into some good cover water, no more than 2 feet deep, the Drennan floats hestitates, and goes down. I do not remember if I struck or not as I was surprised it went down in such a spot, had my reasoning been right and a fish was there? I inspect the female bug and it looks a little worse for wear so I cast it out again. About 3 feet above were the float had gone down on the previous cast down it goes again, this time I strike as soon as the Drennan with a new Maple Leaf emblem taped to the top goes down. ;D

Right now a fish is on. ;D ;D ;D It heads up towards the riffle in a big hurry and then does not like the shallows it is running into and now heads down quicker than when it came up, line peeling from the Avon. Oh what a feeling as I also see it break water. I see Don and the other angler coming up towards me as they see the bend in the pole and the splashing of the steelhead.
The fish is headed for some fast water which I do not want her going over that if possible. I shout to Don " could you come up and help me tube it if it is a wild one" I ask.

Don come up and I apply more pressure than I would like to keep him in the slower water. We now see the fish is a wild doe of about 11 pounds. ;D Don has a bit of a chance but the fish slips out of the shallows into some deeper water. I ease her back as I have too much line out and I am way too far away from the now tired fish, so I am not in control as she starts to shake he head voilently, "be ready Don I say". Just then the hook comes out and float and every thing sling shots into some trees. ::) "Get her Don I bark out" as she heads back from where she came.

Don pounces like a cat on a mouse ready to disappear into a mouse hole, ;D Don flips the fish towards shore and we have her, the first for me for the hatchery program this year. "Great work" I tell Don as we slip her into the holding tube.

I call the hatchery and they good naturally tell me it was about time I got one. I talk to Pete and describe the location and he arrives in about 20 minutes. We safely transfer her to the truck. Pete tells us that gives them 13 does and 9 bucks. With the steelhead on the way to the hatchery Don and I head to another run where Nick tells us during a telephone call 2 had been hooked in this run before we started fishing. We can not find anything there so as it is 12 noon we decide to head to the vehicles, Don was going home for some chores and as he leaves I once again thank him for his good work on my fish. I devoured my lunch in a hurry wanting to get back to the river as I am on a bit of a roll as my record moved to 5 for 19 with this fish.  As I have to go to badminton now will complete the day's event later tonight for those interested. ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 11:00:23 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Feb. 7, Vedder, A Day Of Brood Capture And Improving The Average.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »

Chris, you don't need to change the newspaper !!! That should save you alot of work. ;D

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:08:18 PM »

I am sure these boys knows how to hold a fish after grabbing it. They will not purposely hold it so tight as to choke it.

Bantam_50

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »

Well done Chris....is that the first on bugs...hard to remember with all the success you've had hooking them.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:14:53 PM »

What a catch! It is nice to hear you catching it in water most people will just walk by. But steelies do that when they hit a barrier to their migration.  Chris, to me you are not Master Nick's servant, but coming into your own as a virtuoso of sort about the crazy art of steelheading.  Well done!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:26:20 PM »

Just then the hooks comes out  ??? how many did you have on there :P

Relax your pinny, only three of course. ;) ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:42:36 PM »

February 7th Photos

Don ( left) shares a laugh on his antics to get this wild doe in the tube.

Transfer of fish 1 to the hatchery truck tank.

Steelhead on the way to the hatchery.

11 pound hatchery buck sets comfortably in the tume awaiting the hatchery truck.

Fish 2 swims in the hatchery truck tank after exiting the holding tube.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 11:44:27 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 12:15:23 AM »

Back from badminton and the report on the rest of the day.

To start, boy am I glad you read my reports so carefully that Pin_Head finds a s on the end of hook that shows my typing skills could be improved and I need to spend more time editing my typing errors. ;D ;D

Cammer, you took the description of Don preventing the fish from getting away a little too literary and maybe I should have described it more clearly. All he did was to drop quickly to his knees and corralled the steelhead to prevent it from escaping. At no time do we grab the fish with our hands around the middle. If we are by ourselves we work them into the shallows and they usually turn on their sides and we then simply put one hand around the wrist of the tail. We then with the other hand under the body lift into the tube as quickly as possible. Of course we would never squeeze the fish as the upmost care of these fish is always paramount in the angler's mind that do the brood capture.

As steelieman noted the anglers chosen to do this important volunteer brood capture service so we can all have hatchery fish to take home if one wishs are all veteran anglers who realize the saftey of these fish comes first. If we ever had a fish die on us after we tube it we would feel just terrible. Of the 80 or so brood taken each year there is maybe a loss or two at the most and that happens in the hatchery when the odd fish will die due to a fungus that sets in before they are spawned.

Hope that clears up the concerns noted above.

Now back to fishing. ;D ;D

It takes me 10 minutes or so to get back to the river as I head to the run where I had lost two fish last week. I am pleased to see no on else around but I am sure it had been fished earlier in the day but that does not concern me as fish are on the move and besides I have those tantalizing ghost shrimp that no steelhead in their right mind could resist. ;D

I work back and forth throught the run and as I near the top for the second time two other anglers appear but go to the bottom of the run where I had just fished. They throw a few casts and then leave me to the solitude once again of the run. Out of the corner of my eye a lost foam float appears within reach so I chase it down a few yards and pounce on it like a cat on a mouse going into a mouse hole, sorry Cammer I could not resist. ;D ;D With it firmly clutched in my hand I walk back to the top of the run and stuff it in my vest with the other 2 I had found earlier.

On my next cast the float goes diving and I am on this one, maybe I am getting more alert as I am fortunate now to be hooking a few more fish the last week. This fish heads to the same snag I broke a fish off last week, this time I do not try to hold it and luckly it slides over it heading downstream. A five minute or so battle sees another wild fish twisting and turning to shed the hook. I slide it close to shore and it is well hooked and I put in the tube before I remove the hook. I find a good spot to tie up the tube and enough water to have the 11 pound buck completly submerged in water with the head of course facing upstream.

The call is made to the hatchery and Ron will be doing the pickup this time. The two anglers that went downstream come back up and ask if we also take hatchery fish also and I told them we only take wild to stock the Chilliwack/Vedder. I believe some hatchery may be taken to stock some other rivers but not sure.

Ron arrives and the fish is slipped into the tank and is full of energy after being in the dark environment of the tube for 20 minutes or so. I catch a ride with Ron to the Leaf Mobile and go to town to look at getting a large sign made for the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition's display at the Sportsman show in March.

With this task complete back to explore some more river for the last hour or so of daylight. Fish a couple of excellent runs but find nothing but I capture a lovely sunset on film. As the sun sinks into the horizon I can see almost a mile of river and it is only me, no one else in sight except several species of ducks settling in after a day of hunting foer food, a flock of geese circling for a suitable resting place for the night, a lone eagle flying among the cottonwood trees and the only sound of civilization is the distant roar of traffic on the freeway as commuters return from a day of work in the big city.

Here I am, a solitary figure standing knee deep in the cool current of the Vedder River making that last few casts of a very rewarding day, how lucky I feel. I continue to soak up the sights of the diminishing light and marvel at the fresh snow on the surrounding mountains, beautiful.

As darkness closes in I find a little slot above a tree swept down from the last highwater and I miss something three times that I think is a white fish but on the other hand I have been fooled before and maybe it was Mr Iron. This was enought to get me enthused for another trip tomorrow but after today success I was looking towards tomorrow before these bites.

I donot think I will  be sleeping in tomorrow but hey today did not prove the saying the early bird gets the worm is right as all fish came well past sunrise. With my personal record improving today to 6 for 20, is a .500 average in sight, I hope so. ;D

Rodney has some pictures of today events and may post when time permits.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 07:03:31 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 12:20:09 AM »

Well done Chris....is that the first on bugs...hard to remember with all the success you've had hooking them.
I lost one on a bug last week so things improved today with them. I have about 30 left and I better go and babysit them before I go to bed and pick out any dead ones. They seem to be worth their weigth in gold. ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 06:18:47 AM by chris gadsden »

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 04:37:14 AM »

Great reports Chris and congratulations on catching a couple wild's. Your average is heading upwards, slowly but surely and I hope that the shrimp I pump later today will catch me one of those prized pieces of silver tomorrow.  :D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 08:50:49 AM »

As I get ready for work..I can't help but think of lucky C.G. out on the river already in this beauifull weather. Of course by the weekend its supposed to change. ##**!
Fish on!

blueback

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »

Way to go Chris; nice work!! I wonder if other guys had capture tubes, could they contribute to the wild broodstock capture program, or do they have to find someone specially designated to do so, such as yourself? Just wondering.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 10:46:21 PM »

Way to go Chris; nice work!! I wonder if other guys had capture tubes, could they contribute to the wild broodstock capture program, or do they have to find someone specially designated to do so, such as yourself? Just wondering.
Yes, permits are given to those designated to tube on the Vedder only. They limit them and the hope there is enough of us strung throughout the system to pick up fish from other anglers as well. That is the trouble sometime for me as I am watching for others with "fish on" instead of watching my float. ;D ;D

That is why I also wear that red hat even though I donot like bright colours but with that hat people will get to know I have a tube so they can hail me if possible so I can pick up a wild from them. I of course would rather have my Maple Leaf hat on but I make up with it with a Leaf bait rag and my now Leaf Drennan float. ;D

It of course is in everyones interest if they believe in hatcheries and like the odd hatchery fish to take home to contibute the wild fish they land to the brood capture program. We are about quarter of the way to our goal of around 70 to 80 fish. Thanks for your interest.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 12:37:37 AM »

So are all the guys in the brood capture program wearing red hats in the river?  Also, what happened to the brood fish after they contribute their eggs & sperms?  Are they returned to the river to continue as returner, or are they done?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 12:50:53 AM by funfish »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 12:49:49 AM »

They become food for Rodney's cats.