Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: February 9th Vedder  (Read 5197 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
February 9th Vedder
« on: February 09, 2005, 08:45:02 AM »

Well, early birds get their fish I guess....

CG just phoned in saying that he just landed a hatchery and it is sitting in the tube right now. Weight? 18lb he said (I might have heard it wrong as I just got up.... ;D ) Well, I'm on my way down there now to fish the afternoon..... :-\
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 08:50:34 AM by Rodney »

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: February 8th Vedder
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:50:02 AM »

is the date on in the title wrong rod???  today is the nineth!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: February 9th Vedder
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:50:49 AM »

I told you I just woke up! :-[ :P

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 11:15:22 AM »

I almost thought we were goina get a 'Rodney' report. So Rod, when you goina hit the flow?
Actions speak louder than words.

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 12:02:32 PM »

Hey Biff!
Read Rodneys first post.
 ;D ;D ;D

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 12:15:49 PM »

CG just phoned in saying that he just landed a hatchery and it is sitting in the tube right now.

^ DON'T U TUBE " WILD " STEELHEAD, NOT HATCHERY !

Bass Master

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 12:51:35 PM »

Nice work Chris. Can't wait for the story.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 02:03:46 PM »

I have seen hatchery fish taken for brood stock on the cap and the seymour.  I have been told that mixing a wild with a hatchery is an acceptable match on the above rivers.

An 18lb hatchery doe would surely have some good genes to contribute to the hatchery program/broodstock too!  Imagine all those eggs she's holding. Most likely this is her second time back so she is obviously a fit specimen. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »

All hatchery fish come from wild stock. Did Rod mean too say he tubed a wild?
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 07:32:42 PM »

Geez... Note to self, wake up first before posting next time! ;D

It was a wild fish...

Just got home, full report soon. :)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 07:35:01 PM »

Great day to be out despite not hooking anything.  First time out this season so had quite a bit of exploring to do.  Boy has the river changed.  Flogged bugs and roe but nothing for me.  Moved downriver in the afternoon and finally found Chris tying some roe bags at his Leafmobile.  You can run but you can't hide!!! ;D ;D ;D Got to fish with Rod and 2:40 gordie at DBR for a couple of hours.  About four or five fishing in the run and saw 4 fish landed while I was there.  It was a good day for 2:40 as he hooked 7 and landed 4.  Chris mentioned the one he tubed in the morning.  Did you guys hook any more after I left?

Anyways,  great seeing you again, Chris, Rod and 2:40.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 10:52:05 PM »

Doug, you make me look good, but I only got two to the beach.  :-[  It seems the apple doesnt fall too far from the tree when it comes to hookings to beachings...  ;D

It was a fabulous day and lots of action made a perfect day even better.

It was good to run into you too Doug.

Ill leave the honours on the rest of the day's report to Rodney.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 11:40:59 PM »

Oh sure! The father and son leave the long one for me to write up.... ::) ;) :-\

Anyways, I'll try to be descriptive, but not as long.... ;)

I pretty much took my time today on the way to the river. After CG's phone call at 8:30am, we decided to meet at Lickman exit at 11:00am. We first went to Gidney's Signs (a proud sponsor of CVRCC) to look at these signs that we want to make for the upcoming Fraser Valley Boat and Sportsmen's Show (Don't forget, free ticket draws coming up! ;D ). We then went to Chris' favorite Cookies for lunch as the stomachs can't be empty before fishing.

After lunch, we proceeded to the river (again, took our time, a very smooth scenic drive). Upon arriving at the river bank, we immediately saw one older fella with a bent rod. We were not sure whether he had a fish on or not because he looked way too relaxed. A few kicks confirmed it was indeed a fish. I then witnessed something rather unbelievable as this 60ish man did a 100m dash with a tube. In no time he was right beside the stunned angler like a magician. :o All that hard work was not paid off though, as the fish turned out to be a hatchery, which was going home with the hooker, instead of the tuber. :)

The good sign reassured me that there were fish in the river, so I guess the daily reports have not been bogus. ;D At this point, 2:40 Gordie had arrived. The two of us quickly got ready as Chris took his time like he already had enough of this chrome business.... ::) The three of us then started walking to the spot we intended to fish, where two anglers were already working their way down. A closer look indicated that one of them had a fish on, yet another 100m dash with the tube! :o 2:40 Gordie and I looked on without speech.... Must be the sandwiches at Cookies. ;) He soon turned around with disappointment once again, yet another hatchery fish.

Good signs indeed, we continued to walk past the couple. The girl was extremely happy of course with her chrome 12lb fish on the bank. Her companion proceeded to bonk the fish. Seconds after we walked by, we heard screams. The "dead" fish had leaped into the side channel and started swimming downstream! Now.... happiness turned into disbelief.... Disbelief turned into anger.... lol.... The male companion began to chase the escaped fish, as if his life depended on it (and I think it did! :D ). This brought back fond memory.... the time when Nina hooked her first Vedder red chinook salmon but apparently I snapped the line as the fish decided to swim between my legs while tailing it. I can still hear that horrible scream.... :-X

Luckily, the young fella did catch up to the fish and managed to tail it before it reached the rapids. Good for him! :)

2:40 Gordie and I started fishing as the relieved gentleman began to make his way back to us. The three of us fished a large section that looked very promising. It was indeed promising, just not for me. ::) 40 feet downstream from me, the relieved gentleman hooked into one fish that leaped straight out right away. It popped off seconds after. Soon after that, he was able to hook another one! This was gently released soon after tailing. 2:40 Gordie shook his head once, as he was literally beside the guy. It didn't take long before 2:40 Gordie got into his first fish though, but keeping it on the line was a big issue. His first two fish came off seconds after the hookup. While playing his third fish, I could see another 100 meter dash in the background as I followed 2:40 Gordie to shore.

"Hey look... Your dad's running again..."

Not so lucky for CG once again, as it was yet another hatchery fish! ;D 2:40 felt today luck was on his side, so the fish was quickly released after a few photo snaps. He knew he was going to hook more, and he sure wasn't wrong.

It was only minutes later he hooked another fish that quickly got off. His fifth fish, was yet another hatchery fish. This time I did not follow him to shore for photos, as I was getting rather tired walking back and forth. ;D :o

At this point, Doug showed up behind me. Even though the fish were not onto me today, it was still great to be surrounded by fine friends under the warm sun. This weather.... February? More like May... I can see why CG has the motivation to get out there everyday now.... This so-called job for the hatchery seems like a holiday to me.... :o :-\

Itosh then phoned me up at this point.

"Where are you? I can see your car!"

He then popped out from the other side of the river and watched us fish... He, also smelt like a skunk today. The only difference was he didn't even see a fish today. ;D

After all the action, the section was getting rather crowded as other anglers could see what was going on. We then proceeded to move onto a new spot as it was pointless to fish one spot continuously, especially when it has been worked so many times. These fish seem to be on the move all the time. The locations where we fished today will most likely not produce tomorrow.

At the end of the day, I am now at 0 for 1.... ;D But I managed to accomplish a few tasks, including getting some fine photos on my new digital camera. :)

Enjoy the gallery, CG will probably write up something after this.... :)

2:40's first landed fish.

He just couldn't help staying away from the media, and had to pose with other people's fish. ;D

Juvenile eagle #1.

Juvenile eagle #2.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 11:51:53 PM »

Nice report Rodney. Too bad the Fish God was not smiling on you today. Nice to be out on a day like today.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 06:48:43 AM »

Thanks to Rodney's report my report can be brief as have to get ready for today's trip which should be short as short on sleep. ::)

As I have been having success this week with bugs and gave all I had left to 2:40 Gordie yesterday I had to go down to WR last night and pump some after badminton in Abbotsford.
Was lucky as I had got near the 50 mark when the I hit a rock or something and bent the pump and it would nor work.

I have never seen anyone put on a fishing clinic like Gord did in such a short time yesterday. No wonder i played badminton so poorly last night running the 220 three times yesterday chasing fish.

I was fortunate to get another wild yesterday for the hatchery and I believe the total is approaching 25 or maybe a little more so things are going long nicely. With the Master back on the river today and wtih the amount of fish around it seems he should find some today also.

However one never knows as one day lots of fish the next poor.

On arriving at the river yesterday it was good to run into Toothpick Tom and Cammer. As well Cam as he mentioned picked up a very nice 11 pound fish as did Dick which I believe was around 14 or 15 I heard.

I got mine after only a dozen casts and it put up a great battle and I found out why when I beached it as it was the biggest for me in a while, a fish 16 at least maybe a tad bigger. Thanks to the angler that came down and helped me tube the fish as it would have been difficult in the spot by myself.
Rodney has a picture I took of it, not the best but I believe he will post it later.

Just got a call from Nick and he is at the river now so I better get out there.

It was good to get out with Rodney, Gordie and run into Doug as well.
To bad Rodney did not find a fish but as he said over lunch he wanted to get some good photo's with his new camera which he did and to get warmed up for some trips ahead.

Rodney and Gordie are like me, just getting out there and seeing what all the river has to provide is the best part and getting a fish is secondary. Here for example is Gordie landing 2 hatchery, releasing them both so he could spend more of his limited time still fishing and enjoying our great sport of angling. Way to go son, it gave me more pleasure seeing you into all those fish and to Rodney your turn will come Friday and I must share some bugs with you this time. :-[

Got to go, the Master calls as does the river. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 06:51:59 AM by chris gadsden »