Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In Search of the 20 lb. steelhead  (Read 6246 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
In Search of the 20 lb. steelhead
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »

A beautiful afternoon to once again try to catch one of the numerous 20 lb. steelheads that CF claims are in one of the local rivers. Unfortunately I must report that after an hour of casting a myriad of lures and bait, no steelhead was hooked. Water conditions were perfect with a visibility of 6 feet. There was one angler present; he didn't hook any either. Talked to a guy who advised that a steelhead was caught and released earlier in the morning.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: In Search of the 20 lb. steelhead
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 05:03:27 PM »

lol thanks for the report F.A ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 05:52:01 PM »

Oh Gee FA. I wonder which local river you could be talking about :D. I know in day's past I have managed to catch some smaller steelhead oh say about 12 or 15LB's but 20 is really getting up there. The person that could catch a 20LBer in this river would truly be the King. Pictures must be included of course, for validation ;).

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 06:31:04 PM »

Oh Gee FA. I wonder which local river you could be talking about :D.

You know the river, it's the one that has no fish in it  ;D

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 08:11:15 PM »

could you guys be less cryptic... some new people have no idea what river your talking about
there are actual fish involved in fishing right?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:55:56 PM »

Though C.F. says there are many, its closer to the truth to say there are some 20lbers.  8 -12lbs is more common. CF fishes there alot, more than almost anyone so he's seen his share.
Fish on!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 09:20:50 PM »

Hey there BP, not to rain on your parade but I've been fishing that local river for nearly thirty years and have fished there at least forty or fifty times in each of the last 10 years so I think I know a little about this water system. I'm sure CF does too and in all likelyhood I've probably said hello or shook hands with him while fishing there. I don't profess to know everything about this river (who ever does) but it does erck me when people act like they own a river just cus they fish there a lot. Nuf said. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 10:48:49 PM »

HereFishyFishy, they are talking about the Capilano River (ducks for incoming stones) where catch and release is required for both wild and hatchery steelhead.

It's not the river by the way, it's the fisherman. ;D Itosh has proven that yesterday by displaying his steelhead flyfishing technique in front of us yesterday while the rain came down hard. ;D Some photos of that will come in next month, stay tuned. :)

I've only been into one steelhead on the Cap, that's with one steelhead outing in this lifetime. ;) Not telling you where though, it's a big secret and all. ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »

Keep those secrets Rod  :D (there's so few these days) and can't wait to see Itosh's casting pic's. Have A Geat Day Everyone! :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 09:44:57 AM »

Between rob, Pug Pumper, and I, we have caught a good number of steelhead and coho on that river over the years.  The biggest steelie I have seen was about a 13lb buck that I gave to Erik C for the brood stock program.  As well, I have yet to see a coho taken from that river much larger than 10lbs altho I have heard of a single fish of about 14 lb in the last 3-4 years.

Between taking my kids to the fish ladder, snorkelling the cap, and fishing it, I have a lot of trouble accepting that there are 18-20 pound coho or steelhead in that river in any greater frequency than ONCE IN A LIFETIME!

keep in mind that the returns on the cap are propably just about 100% hatchery (particularly true for the salmon).  I don't think these fish have a strong genetic make up and in general, they are smaller than average fish too.

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 04:12:23 PM »

The biggest steelie I have seen was about a 13lb buck that I gave to Erik C for the brood stock program.

Whats a brood stock program?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 04:56:08 PM »

The biggest steelie I have seen was about a 13lb buck that I gave to Erik C for the brood stock program.

Whats a brood stock program?

In its simplest terms, catching an adult steelhead (usually wild) transporting it to the hatchery where it is kept til it is ripe. It is then killed and the eggs and sperms extracted to fertilize the eggs. The offsprings are then released into the river as smolts.

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 07:10:58 PM »

so if someone, (not me), caught a really huge steelhead, they should take it to the hatchery so it's like genes could get passed on?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 07:17:50 PM »

Got to hand it to you Confused Fisherman; you have quite an imagination  ;D

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 08:06:24 PM »

Fish Assasin; re HereFishyFishy's question about brood stock.

You were correct about the brood stocking if you were talking about salmon. When brood stocking Steelhead, the adult brood are not killed. The adults are kept, as you said, until they are ripe and then they are emptied of their sperm and eggs where the two are mixed artificially to create new fish in the hatchery. The adult Steelhead are then released back into the river. For Steelhead who have come from a tributary of the Fraser, they are released into the Fraser at Mission. For others they are released back to their natal river.
  In some instances the hatchery may choose to keep an adult brood Steelhead at the hatchery until the next spawning season, where they will again use this fish as a brood fish. This has been done where the supply of brood Steelhead is hard to come by.
Tight lines.