Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flounder and crab April 20  (Read 5273 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
flounder and crab April 20
« on: April 20, 2005, 05:55:10 PM »

Since it was so nice out both the girlfriend and I decided to take the day off work and do some crabbing and catch a few flounder, got a nice limit of crabs, and a few flounder. The funniest thing happened, we dropped the traps off and started fishing, couple minutes later gf says fish and and sets the hook, at the same time I feel a strike and set the hook as well, then my line went slack so I figured my line must be wrapped around my gfs fish, so we both reel up only to find that the flounder had taken both our baits! both hooks were buried deep in his mouth, must of been one hungry fish :o we decided that since my girlfriends hook was deeper that she could claim that as her fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: flounder and crab April 20
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 06:28:52 PM »

That flounder deserve to be caught and eaten.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 06:30:24 PM »

Lucky's flounder pic

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »

Come on lucky, admit that you two had a big fight on the boat over that fish. ;) Nice size flounder by the way... Four years ago, I caught one around 4 inches on a 1/4oz croc in the Fraser (around the area where you have been barfishing)! :o

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 08:52:26 PM »

hey lucky i was just wondering how big are the flounder you catch(inches).....
I like ROE

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:59:58 PM »

ive caught flounder a couple pounds from belcarra ;D ;D

i was using a slip weight, and a worm and i was bringing it when suddenly...BAM!!!

i didnt know wut it wuz, but when i got it in,,,i realized it was a good sized flounder :D ;D

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »

Here on the island i have caught them to about 5-6 pounds and 25 inches maybe? And no they were not halibut. I catch the biggies deep around 200-300 feet on most jigs. This summer on a calm night my friend and i are going to drop down a octapus tenticle and a herring down reel deep. We are gonna put them down 500 feet and see if some cool fish takes it. Probally snapper/hake hopefully a sixgill ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 11:20:03 PM »

Hey Kelly, why do you have to fish deep at night?
Actions speak louder than words.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:06:07 AM »

The biggest sole i find are down deep. As far as 500 feet im just interested in whats down ;D I want to catch something i have never caught before. At night the  fish come up a bit. I have seen a really deep water fish i think a hake swimming in 2 feet of water! It was at the marina last summer in the middle of the day! it was about 8 pounds and it just swam around for 2 hours with us throwing everything in the tackle box at it. Finally a harbour seal swam over and got him.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 02:56:37 PM »

average size of the flounder we caught were around 12 to 17 ", but we did get three or four bigger ones maybe 24 or 25 ", all of them were caught in about 50 feet of water.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »

Thanks for the response lucky.  What kind of setup do you use and what sort of bait do you find work the best.
I like ROE

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 03:51:09 PM »

I like to use an ultralight spinning setup, with 8lb line,  pencil weight then about a foot and a half leader and and a nice chunk of shrimp for bait, we drift fish and drag the bait along bottom, lifting up every now and then. they will basicly eat anything, but I find shrimp works good because the area I fish has alot of prawn naturally. when I lived on the island I would catch them using a small jighead with a couple kernals of corn on it.

Toprod

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 04:38:23 PM »

I agree with Kellya, the biggest sole I have caught were 5-6 lbs taken 400 feet down while targeting halibut.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »

just passed that concrete pillar in at tsawwassen ferry terminal you can catch lots of flounder. just drift until you catch one. then throw over a marker to remember where that location was. the drift is quite strong sometimes. i used just frozen herring pieces.

tyee slayer

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 07:25:09 PM »

i have heard the secret weapon is dew worms....havent tried them myself though
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release