Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In Search For The First Spring In The Spring.  (Read 5250 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
In Search For The First Spring In The Spring.
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:44:50 PM »

With the coming of Spring and at the beginning of May when the chinook season opens I start to get the itch as I have for the last 30 years to try and find an early run fish.

In my mind these are the best eating fish there is and because their numbers are not that numerous at this time of year it makes it all the more of a challenge to find them.

Depending on the time table of the freshet it will determine if I will be bar fishing or float fishing for them at this time of the month.

Last year in May we took a few of them bar fishing but this year because of heavy rain and the early start of the freshet bar fishing has been out of the question because of dirty water conditions. Actually the Fraser was near a two year peak this past week.

Even thought the water has been dropping rapidly this week and bar fishing may not be far away but I think this recent high hot spell will see the river once again rise, delaying the bar fishing a few more weeks.

Anyway yesterday was a day to see if I could find some suitable water to float fish.

My day started around 7:30 as was anxious to get out on the water as I had not been fishing since the first of April. The first order of the day was to pro cure some prawn tails as I had no ghost shrimp that I usually like to use. I have taken the odd fish on prawn tails in years past but really thought they were a unproven bait in my mind anyway but I know some anglers have taken Steelhead on them so they do work. I would test them over the next two days but I had roe as a backup.

I loaded up the Leaf Mobile with enought supplies for an overnight trip and headed to pick up Leaf Craft #2 at its place of storage. Before I headed to the river I did a few chores in town and dropped into the local FOC office to see how things were going, enforcement wise on the Fraser.

On arriving at the office I talked to one of the officers and he tells me they are moving their office to a new location. Tongue in cheek I quip "to Agassiz" ;D, no he says to an, office on South Sumas Road.

He tells me they are doing patrols 7 days a week this year and will be steeping up enforcement on both recreational and First Nations fisheries this year. So expect to be checked more this year when out on the river. I am also told as they have some additional staff as well.

The officier told me some bad news fish wise, the chinook count this year so far is only 17% of normal, not much in the FN nets they have checked or at the Albion test Fishery which I also had noticed was low. I told him sometimes the high water can effect netting because of debris etc. Maybe I was only hoping this was the cause and when I left the office my parting remark was" I only need one". ;D

With Leaf Craft #2 loaded and on my way I finally was on the water at 4 pm on the nose.

I afix a nice looking prawn tail and after the first cast I am waxing the line as I reel in. With this wax on the line I find the line will float and when you get a pull down it makes picking up the line easier as it has not sunk.

I am using the float Randog gave me a couple of years ago, a nice looking home made float with "Randog" etched on it. ;D I had used it a couple time before but it has never gone under. ::)

It looks good in the water riding high and proud, with this angler hoping it would be doing a disappearing act a few times in the next two days.

Around ten minutes into the fishing while enjoying some grapes, I look up and no "Randog" float in sight, ;D I drop the grapes and I have a fish on but it turns out to be a 12 inch pike minnow. ???

The pike minnows really are enjoying the prawn tails as in the next hour I land 3 more, the biggest 14 inches. Even though they are not what I am looking for, it is good to have a fish on once again, even if they are coarse fish.

As I continue fishing I notice one of the released pike minnows is a little worse for wear and is floating near the top of the water. :-[

I had never seen this before, a crow dives down at least half dozen time to try and pick it up, it even sat down on the water in trying to grab it but with no success.

I am enjoying the fresh mountain air with only the sound of the river and the occasional passing train interrupting the peaceful setting. Good once again to be away from the busy city, that Chilliwack is becoming. I think back to 1808 when Simon Fraser who's name (of course) was given for the river I am fishing. Fraser and his men who were exployers for The North West Company would have passed within a few yards of where I was fishing. Also the thousands of gold miners starting in 1858 would also traversed on and along this mighty river.
These men from alll corners of the globe were hoping to make their fortunes but instead many gave up their lives to the swirling chocolate waters that were now racing right in front of me, towards Georgia Strait.

I would have loved to seen the amount of fish that would have been in the river in those days, what a sight it would have been, maybe a fish every cast. Look what man has done the last hundred years to that once bountiful resource, as greed by all users, including me at times have depleted some of the stocks to dangerous levels. Will there be fish for future generations? I so hope so, if not our governments and us to some extent as well will be responsible for not forcing them to do a better job of managing this renewable resource. :(

Enough about history. ::)

At around 5:15 my float goes under again, the bite looked a bite different. ;D It went down slowly, not jerky as most coarse fish bites do.

I strike but nothing. Next cast, same spot "Randog" float down again, strike, weight, fish taking line,and the tell tale flash of a sizeable fish, no PM this time. ;D ;D With the first spring of the year on, the heart of this happy angler is pumping real good, so good when the fish first comes to the net a bad netting job because of too much excitement the fish escape the landing net's deadly trap. Luckly the 2/0 barbless hook holds fast for a second chance and a smallest 6 to 7 pound spring buck is netted. Small but still nice. ;D

The fish is marked on this now pleased angler's license, bled, cleaned and quickly packed in ice to keep cool in the 30 plus degree heat.

With 3 hours of fishing time left, should I set up camp for the night or continue to fish? I usually stop fishing when I have retained a salmon species when a limit is one a day but I thought I would not get another. After all I had been told there was very few in the river. :-\ Why not have some fun with some pike minnows as there seemed to be enought of them around.

With another 8 or so more PM hooked I was getting lots of practice setting the hook and the "Randog" float was enjoying the frequent dunkings as well.

While fishing for the PM's I saw a couple of more springs roll, one a rod lenght away, so close I could see its eyes and the spots on its back and tail. ;D ;D

Shortly after seeing the spring that rolled in front of me the float is under again and for the second time of the day another spring is on, a fish maybe a pound bigger than the one I had retained but a lot brighter fish. I bring it to the boat as quickly as possible so as not to tire or over stress it. As I get it near the boat I am glad to see it is lightly hooked and after a photo of it in the water it is an easy release to continue its journey to its spawning grounds up river.

Time to quit now, have supper and setup camp for the night.

As darkness falls I have trouble falling asleep, looking foward to tomorrow's adventure I guess, when I will be joined by good friend Gary. I finally falll asleep by trying to count the stars far up in the heavens, sort of fitting I think as I feel so lucky to be fishing in God's country. ;D ;D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 08:04:08 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: In Search For The First Spring In The Spring.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 11:46:25 PM »

What's this with the coming of spring ? Summer is going to be here in 3 weeks  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 12:41:12 AM by Fish Assassin »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 11:51:06 PM »

What's this with the coming of spring ? Summer is going to be hear in 3 weeks  ;D
When Spring starts the Springs enter the river that is why they are called Springs. ;D ;D

Actually some old timers say there is Springs in the Fraser during alll 4 seasons. I know they have been caught the odd time in Febuary.

Your fishing lesson for the week FA. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 12:42:19 AM »

Just trolling Chris and I got me a big one !  ;D Chinooks, springs, tyees, smileys, blackmouth, kings, they are all the same.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 12:46:36 AM »

Hi Chris,
When bar fishing for salmon do you cast to centre of river or find a bend in the bank of the river where water is slower and cast in there?

Thank you

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 01:10:57 AM »

BwiBwi, I believe Chris was not barfishing during this trip but was actually float fishing with bait.

Anyways, to answer your question regarding barfishing. Barfishing in Chilliwack area is somewhat different to barfishing down here, which is basically just bottom fishing. Barfishing around Chilliwack, Hope area involves much faster current. The fast current is needed to rotate the spin n glow. The weight that you use for barfishing is usually 10oz+. The weight is casted out and anchored onto the river bed, from the weight, it is followed by a 2 to 3 feet leader with a spin n glow rigged above the hook. The spin n glow suspends just above the river bed and spins really fast. When the spring bites it, it usually hook itself. The rod will then be dancing in the holder, and that's when you run, grab and reel. :)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 01:23:04 AM »

Wow that is different. But sounds like a heavy duty rod is needed to cast all that weight !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 02:38:03 AM »

Just trolling Chris and I got me a big one !  ;D Chinooks, springs, tyees, smileys, blackmouth, kings, they are all the same.
And are they every lovely eating , I can taste it now. ;D ;D

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 07:30:14 AM »

Great read with my morning coffee, looking forward to many more reports. Congrats. on the first Spring of the year Chris. Maybe it was the float? Somehow I don't think so ;D

mr.pink

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 09:21:49 AM »

sounds like a good day,chris.congrats on the first spring of the spring,lol.must have hot out there on the water,i got cooked at work
brutaly hot,cheers.

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:16:53 PM »

Landed my first the other day in a very similar way.... the springs are here!!!!  Seen another bullet bonked today!  All on roe. ;)

miketheflyguy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 07:50:34 PM »

Good to see some fish going on bait and of course prawns (tails) I have some prawn tail set ups here at home and I'm wondering how long I should make my leader since I will be fishing out of a boat from pegleg-grassy should I fish it 4 feet off the bottom? that seems to be where the fish were in my sounder 2 weeks ago I guess the salmon berries are ripening!

mike
<)))><

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »

Went out this afternoon and hooked 2 on roe!  :o  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 12:02:32 AM »

Day 2

I awoke Starry eyed as daylight started to break but was so comfortable and as well still tired from all the action from the previous day I slept for another 4 hours. ::)

Finally the thought of a good breakfast coaxed me to finally make a move around 8 am.. With breakfast completed Leafcraft #2 was readed and loaded for another day on the water. The cool breeze of the morning air was certainly a temporary relief from yesterday's heat but the clear sky signalled another hot one in a few hours.

As I made my way to the water's edge a common meganzer bails out of the top of a 30 foot high snag, I guess they are maybe like a wood duck and nest in hollow trees. It would be quite a free falll for the little guys when they hatch, I have heard wood duck ducklings who also nest in similar locations bounce like a rubber ball when pushed out of their nest by their parents. This looked a bit high for a nest for me but I guess this bird knew what he was doing.

As I start fishing my first take down turns to be another PM, must be millions of these chaps in the Fraser River watershed. I  see 2 springs boil but they were not interested in my offering.

Then nothing more shows itself salmon wise as the bright sun now appears over the Coast Mountain Range, glaring on the water that I think may have something to do with the lack of action. I am not concerned as I am still pleased with yesterday's success and with a spring in the cooler I am more than satisfied with the trip. I am just enjoying the bird life around me including a group of turkey vultures that try to invade a pair of crow's territory. One of them was the crow I talked about yesterday that was trying to pick up the floating PM. I figured out these scavengers (the crows ) had a nest nearby so they were driving the vultures away from their young.

I forgot to mention yesterday when I cleaned the fish these same crows came and picked up the inners of my fish and took them to feed their young I guess.

Around 11 Gary appears, with the second shift now in I leave the fishing to him for 3 hours while I have lunch, do some ball stats and have a nap in the shade of the surrounding forest.;D ;D

I am back on the water for the afternoon and evening bite but all we get is more pike minnows, especially when the setting sun disappears behind the mountains, then nearly every drift sees a bite as "Randog" float seems to be spending more time under the water than above. I finally run out of prawn tails to the hungry schools lurking below in the depths and at 8 pm it is time for us to pack up. Gary I believe is disappointed with the lack of success but that is fishing, they were here yesterday but gone today. How many times have we heard those words "you should have been here yesterday". ;D

Before I start my trek home I stop and pick a small bowl of wild strawberries, little guys but you have to go along way to find a taster fruit. The end of a perfect trip and they will taste so good after we have devoured the spring that will be going on the BQ tomorrow night.

I have a couple of pictures of day ones fish that Rodney will post if I get them send to him tonight.  Excuse the picture of the fish I kept as it is not that good a shot although my centerpin and the "Randog" float look ok.  ;D

The other photo of the fish just prior to release is, I think a nice shot but then a fish alive looks alot better than one that has been kept. I must be careful or I willl turn into a C/R fisherman in my old age.

One final note I have been asked by a few were to float fish at this time of year. It is a type of fishery that is very water and weather related and can change daily because of changing water elevations.

One has to spend the time checking out the mouths of the many rivers that enters the Fraser River, some can be fished from a boat and others from shore. Part of the fun is to search them out and find them which I have for the last 30 years and I think people can and will respect that fact.

Photos

A few seconds from freedom.

Not that great of photo but will taste good on the BQ being the first spring of the season. ;D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 06:47:23 PM by chris gadsden »

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 06:54:33 AM »

Nice pics..... ;)  Always a good read in the morning! 8)