Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap June 1st  (Read 4823 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Cap June 1st
« on: June 01, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »

New day, new month. The overnight rain did little to bring up the water level. Must be release day at the hatchery; the river is loaded with coho smolts. Wild animals which depend on small fish for their meals were delighted at the unexpected smorgasbord. Herons and seagulls were stuffed with fish. Fishing was very slow. Anybody heading out the next few days should bring lots of bait. These smolts will eat up all your bait.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Cap June 1st
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 03:36:43 PM »

I had the same problem on saturday, they hit everything, I had them hitting my spoon that was a similar size to most of them.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »

Do they stay in the river system or do they move to the sea right away? fished a pool in oct last year, had a crap load of them go after my roe.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »

I was talking to a fisherman about that and he tells me that the smolts tend to hang around for a bit and then move on down to the ocean. They are voracious feeders.

meca_357

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 05:33:41 PM »

last year i was a throwing a fly and i would land like 10 smolts in an hour it was ridic... i hated it too cus i didnt want to harm them or anything... they go after anything flashy  it sucks... grow already  >:(

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 06:50:36 PM »

fished the cable pools today no luck.... am i crazy or last year at this time i though the cable pools were full of coho i didnt even see one today? is it shaping up to be a bad year or am i just crazy

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 09:14:18 PM »

You're not crazy Scalper. I'm down from the same period last year. Let's hope that they just late.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:40 PM »

they are there,but not in a big numbers,cause me and chum man was there on sunday,we saw a few sneak by us,and saw one was floating upside down going downstream.but we both sitll skund out on coho :'(just got a few trouts and careful released...i think this year is a bit late for those coho,lasr year we already had them on the dinner table ;)

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 10:21:42 PM »

what time do you usally hit cap river FA we should fish the river sometime since we are both there alot

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 10:29:20 PM »

That really depends on my schedule. I've been known to fish it early morning, afternoon and evenings. This morning I fished it at 8:00 ; yesterday it was 9:00

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 08:28:54 AM »

Looked at the cable pool ast night and figured it wasnt worth the trip this morning.

This is driving me crazy, I figured the rain we got would push the river up a little but its actually lower now than it was before the last 2 days of rain...that dam is killing us!

mr.pink

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 01:00:04 PM »

i know what your saying gooey.i dropped by monday for a few hours,but water was so low it was hardly worth it,so we just explored around a bit.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 04:54:07 PM »

maybe the cap is following the same liberal government mandate to cut hatchery production like they have on so many popular salmon rivers. Guess that explains why our bloody freshwater liscences and tags went up last year. maybe next year we can pay a few bucks more for liscences and get an even bigger reduction in fishing opportunities.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 06:27:13 PM »

maybe the cap is following the same liberal government mandate to cut hatchery production like they have on so many popular salmon rivers. Guess that explains why our bloody freshwater liscences and tags went up last year. maybe next year we can pay a few bucks more for liscences and get an even bigger reduction in fishing opportunities.

Maybe CF is right after all. There are no fish in the Cap

Newtown

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 07:48:59 PM »

Anyone checked if there's anything in the ladder inside the hatchery? When I checked last week it was empty.