Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lower Fraser June 13  (Read 2432 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
lower Fraser June 13
« on: June 13, 2005, 07:43:37 PM »

The girlfriend and I headed out around 2pm to try for some sturgeon on the south arm.  Just as I was casting out my girlfriends setup I got a huge hit on my rod, so I dropped hers and set the hook, had the fish on for a while then he decided to run for the shore, I reeled fast as possible but was unable to bring up the slack and the fish got off. We were both pretty excited after that considering my rod was only in the water about 5 minutes.  Shortly there after her rod starting bouncing and she gave a good hookset, fish on! after a short battle we landed her first ever sturgeon.  She then took a few minute break to calm down and stop shaking. Right after I casted her setup out again she had another great hit, with a good hookset, short battle then the fish jumped and rolled and the hook came out. There was one more fish lost on my rod and that was it for the day.  All in all a great time was had, we could of possibly caught 4 fish in 4 hours, it was awesome that she caught the only fish of the day, I was rather proud.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: lower Fraser June 13
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:59:45 PM »

That's great Lucky, what gear were you using for today ? and bait ?

Thanks
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »

my girlfriend used my old diawa jupiter spinning outfit spooled with 50lb braid and 25lb leader, I used my 11' hmx with a 6500 c4, also loaded with 50lb braind, dew worms for bait, five ounces of lead, the setups we used worked fine for today but we are gonna get a couple ugly sticks and abu 7000's in case we get into any big ones. Also I learned the hard way that it is important to wear gloves when handling these fish :-\, while trying to tail it I got cut, just a small cut on the finger but it was deep, those fish are razor sharp!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:18:27 PM »

great story lucky!!
Fish on!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 10:09:36 PM »

Thinking of loading up an old mooching reel with heavy line and trying to toss with it...thanks for the input.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote