Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroating the beaches, week of June 20  (Read 4593 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Cutthroating the beaches, week of June 20
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:17:28 PM »

Got out twice last week on the beach for some more sea run action.

June 20: fished 1 ¾ hours; hooked 6 fish, landed 5.  2 fish were in the 15-16" range. Nice chrome hoggies, one that put up an exceptional fight for a cutthroat. A buddy got a pic of the fish on his disposable camera which I'll post when he emails it to me.   

June 22: fished 2.5 hours. Tough conditions tonight. Stiff onshore breeze and 2 ft+ chop. Fish were difficult to find; it wasn't until the last 45 minutes, after moving around the beach alot, that I started to hit fish steadily. Hooked 5 hooked fish, landed 3 smallish cutts under 12".  Lost 2 much larger fish. Darn barbless hooks.  (I say that in jest. Even though you can use barbed hooks for sea runs in the saltwater, since there are very few hatchery fish and you have to release wilds, using barbed hooks is almost criminal)   

The last fish tonight was the most memorable. My buddy hadn't hit a fish all night and had been subject to my recent emails of the good action on the beach. "How come you only have the good nights when you're by youself?" he said skeptically. No sooner had he made the "f" sound in "yourself" than I hit a big cutt that exploded like a Polaris missle, 2 feet out of the water. The fish went nuts for 10-15 seconds before it jumped one last time and spit the hook.  "What did you say" I said. "Nothing" he replied. Then we had a good laugh. Priceless!   

meca_357

Re: Cutthroating the beaches, week of June 20
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »

haha good stuff... hey clarki where about are you doing this fishing u dont mind me asking

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:24:53 PM »

Don't mind you asking, but I still can't tell you where. Sorry. But I will answer at length anything else you want to know...   

meca_357

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 10:27:20 PM »

no worries totally understandable... thnx for the reply though  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 01:29:13 PM »

Can you give a general direction? Like Howe Sound, Oak Bay, Pender Harbour ....

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 07:12:11 PM »

Sorry for the late reply. Been on vacation with the family attempting to harrass some 'bows in the'Boo.   Had some caddis dry fly action on a couple of evenings off the dock. Very entertaining!

Sorry, no can do BwiBwi. Even giving that vague a direction is too close for comfort. Although I am tempted to tell a fib and send you in a different direction...but I can't do that.

My previous offer still stands. Even though I can't tell you where, I will gladly answer any other question you throw my way.   

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 09:41:59 PM »

Little late in getting thsi up as I just got it from my partner.

Yeah it's a little blurry as it's scanned from print film, but it shore is a purty fish.

And what is that cancer-like lesion on my arm...?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 09:45:58 PM by clarki »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 10:47:35 PM »

right on
weeeeeeeeeow!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 10:53:39 PM »

How were you fishign for them? fly or spoons?
[

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »

By the way, I could care less what you're fishing for because if you are fishing in saltwater, you shouldn't have barbs on whatever you're using. Period.

Maybe I should check the regs, but as far as I know, no barbs in salt. Period. I was once fishing for chicken halibut and tossed on a piece of herring on a chunk of Octopus that I had on the hook, and with a pair of 10/0 hooks and we hooked 2 near Tyee springs. Just goes to show...you NEVER CAN tell.

NO BARBS IN SALT PERMITTED!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 07:55:23 PM »

Arent barbs permited as long as you are not targeting salmon? And if you land a salmon on a barbed hook it must be released. Thats why they tell you to pinch barbs when bottom fishing incase you get a salmon. Im almost 100% thats the rules

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »

Take from the recreational tidal fishing regulation guide:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/salmongear_e.htm

Anglers are required by law to use a barbless hook when fishing for salmon, including cutthroat trout and steelhead.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 08:26:15 PM »

Ok..I have a gun, I'm just carrying the gun because I just bought it and I go hunting. I went into the bank. Doesn't mean I am there to rob the bank. But if the gun is loaded (the barb) potentially it could go off and injure someone.

So, what you're telling me is, I can fish anyway I choose, but if I am not targetting salmon...it's ok to use barbs? Doesn't quite jive with me. People target halibut by using spoons and hootchies trolling off downriggers.

Interesting. If you feel the need to use barbs fishing for other species in the face of a regulation where by catch is an issue, then wow...it certainly becomes hard to distinguish...

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 08:33:11 PM »

FM, relax, I just cited the regulations above for you, which you could have done in your original post, may just provide a stronger backbone to your statement. ::)

Secondly, if someone chooses to fish with a legal method that you do not agree to, in this case, a barbed hook on non-salmonid species, please don't treat them as some God forbid criminal. If you have an issue with the current regulations, take it up to those who issue these rules, not the ones who follow them.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 08:42:53 PM »

I stand corrected.