Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: July 9th: Mini Vedder River Cleanup and Kawkawa Lake  (Read 4741 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
July 9th: Mini Vedder River Cleanup and Kawkawa Lake
« on: July 09, 2005, 10:57:11 PM »

After spending yesterday in Chilliwack for the First Nations resolution dialogue meeting, I crawled out of bed this morning at 7:30am so we could head back to Chilliwack. While doing so, I thought, "Wouldn't it be easier if I just move there?" ::)

Although our July Vedder River cleanup was canceled, the directors of CVRCC decided to do a mini cleanup of our section this morning. Overall our section was fairly clean. The lower river is in a better shape than other years partly because the effort by the city and RCMP to keep illegal campers off the river.

Please click on the small images to view large version.

A cleanup crew tried to look busy. ;)

The seemingly busy cleanup crew in the previous pic was replaced by a group of harder working crews.

Group shot at the end.

Another group shot, but notice how Lew was attempting to steal Terry's Leaf hat! :o

After the cleanup, we were off to Chris' favorite hangout - Cookies. ;) After a quick meal, Buckeye, Chris, Nina and I were ready to tackle some kokanees in Kawkawa Lake. :) Originally Terry insisted that he was going to show us how to do it on the fly, but he soon realized the bait side is impossible to beat so he pulled a no show. ;)

After getting everything ready, the boats were launched, we were ready to fish by 3:00pm. The weather worked out well too, it appeared the showers had just passed through, and the sun emerged from the clouds once we were on the water. :)

We ventured across the lake and passed several pleasure boaters. The lake was still not too busy, it was nice to get one trip in before summer really begins. We joined Chris' friend Don and buddies who had almost reached their bag limit.

Today's fishing method involved bottom fishing with krill or shrimp. Chris' rig was a running pencil weight that sits on a swivel, which is followed by 2 feet of leader with a size 3 or 4 steelhead hook at the end. We chose to use a bottom rig that is commonly used in the estuary Fraser instead.

While I had to set two rods up from scratch, Chris and Buckeye were already into many fish at the beginning. ::) By the time we got started, they almost reached their daily quotas. Some guiding service it was, I thought guides usually wait until the clients limit out before they start fishing? ;)

Camera crew at work, please do not disturb. ;)

Once Nina's rod was set up, it didn't take too long before she was into a couple of fish. Both fish fell off and then she decided to pull a Gadsden - Taking a nap in the boat. ::)

Check out the concentration!

In the meantime, it was my turn. I was able to land numerous fish and bagged my four kokanees for the day. All fish were between 12 and 14 inches in length, but fairly heavy as they are all quite broad.

Fish on!

Scoop!

Small yet tasty. :)

Nina was woken up when the fun became too much. She proceeded to show all how it was done. Five casts, three fish. ::)

By the end, we probably hooked around 20 fish each but only managed to land half a dozen or so. These kokanees are soft biters, so setting the hook can be tricky at times. Finding the fish was just as challenging, as the school moved around constantly.

Due to the offensive graphic material of this photo, the preview pic has been darkened. Click at your own risk. ;)

Conclusion: Very fun fishery, ideal for families. If you decide to venture out there, please remember that daily quota is four fish per person. While barbed hooks are allowed, barbless hooks are ideal to use for easy release if necessary. Guess who used barbless and barbed (cough cough, who were losing all the fish and who were able to bag their limits right away?) ;)

Thanks CG and Buckeye for the good guiding.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: July 9th: Mini Vedder River Cleanup and Kawkawa Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 10:09:08 AM »

Nicre report Rodney.  Do you have any idea of how long this fishery lasts into the summer.  Also , would you just be anchoring in the deep areas of the lake. Thanks.
weeeeeeeeeow!

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 10:23:07 AM »

Rod- was the Vedder in fishable condition after all the rain we had during the last few days???

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 11:48:04 AM »

Hey Rod here's a tip for Nina. Loop a rubber band (Yes A Rubber Band) between your main line and leader. The rubber band works as a shock absorber (snubber) and helps keep those soft mouthed fish on the line.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 04:47:29 PM »

Nice not to write the story this time as Rodney covered it very well, I had hoped Nina and Buckeyre would have added something. ???

Will make it short as on my way after a blunt nose chinook tonight as Fraser is at the right level again. ;D

Was a great day yesterday of fellowship for ourCVRCC directors that could attend. We cleaned up our section very well, I got tangled up in a thicket straight out from Giesbrech and heading up stream. :-[ Because of the changing river and plant and tree growth I thought I was in an Amazon jungle. Do not try it. :o

A great lunch at Cookies of course followed.Then Buckeye, Nina, Rodney and I caught some very good eating fish. The only draw back was the water skiers create a continuous wave action but they need their fun too.

After George dropped me off at the Leaf Mobile a little drama. I am heading towards Tim Hortons and I see a fellow that looked a little suspicious running up the parking lot at Fred's Custom Tackle. I think nothing more and I needed a TM coffee real bad. ;D

Around 5 minutes later I am coming back by Fred's to head up to see my sister on Chilliwack Lake Road to pick up the garbage from the cleanup she and Tony took home in their trailer while we went fishing.

At the Intersection of Vedder and Keith Wilson a police car turns in front of me, lights flashing.

I then see smoke and then flames. ??? I notice a car on fire right up against the back of the First Baptist Church. As a feelancer I am on the scene with my camera and I bound from the Leaf Mobile. ;D
I have only two shots left as used up some on the just completed fishing trip. As well the Leaf Mobile was so full of stuff as usual, still not unpacked from the last Merritt trip on Thursday and Friday that I have not written about yet, it was quite an adventure. There was film there somewhere in the truck but it would take way too long to paw through things and by then the photo op would be over. ::)

I get in position to await the fire trucks whose sirens I hear in the distance, police cars swarm the area. The car is burning very well, nice flames for the photo but it could set the church on fire. ::)

Two burly fireman grab the fire hose, I await the right moment to push the shutter as the spray hits the car, two shots is all I have.

I think I have the shot for the Chilliwack Progress, I gather a little info for the reporter to investigate for the story. The guy I saw running did set the car on fire. His girl friend came down in a police car so I really donot know what happened, domestic dispute?

By the time this was over my TH coffee was cold but one must go to any lenght to get the story, right?

Off now for another adventure in the great outdoors, away from the hustle and crime of the City. It will be only me and nature and hopefully a blunt nose on my line in 2 hours from now. Stay tunned if you wish.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 02:12:32 AM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 09:31:24 PM »

Do you own shares at Cookies Chris ? :D

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:01:18 PM »

well what a day you all had
river clean up, fish to take home, and a reportable story
glad to see the flyer in action
is there a public camp ground there or is it all private
ive got a trip to plan for the end of august
looking for something to do on the way back from vernon
tia cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:34:46 AM »

well what a day you all had
river clean up, fish to take home, and a reportable story
glad to see the flyer in action
is there a public camp ground there or is it all private
ive got a trip to plan for the end of august
looking for something to do on the way back from vernon
tia cnm
There is a campground on the way to the lake just before you cross the Coq. bridge. Ray, I donot think the fishing will be too good there at the end of August.

redlad

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 09:22:36 PM »

Hi Rod

I am a little late wading in on this one, but are just talking about using the little pieces of shrimp you get at the grocery store for bait?  Or the whole krill from a tackle shop? 

Thanks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 11:01:28 PM »

Hi Rod

I am a little late wading in on this one, but are just talking about using the little pieces of shrimp you get at the grocery store for bait?  Or the whole krill from a tackle shop? 

Thanks.
Both work but I find krill which are quite small are easier to hook the fish with.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 01:45:20 AM »

That's because you two were using much smaller hooks than me, no wonder you both caught so many right away. ;)

redlad

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 10:43:39 AM »

Thanks guys!