Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake of the Woods, Ontario Late July  (Read 3462 times)

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
Lake of the Woods, Ontario Late July
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:58:40 PM »

So Hubby and I go to his Aunt's cabin at Lake of the Woods near Keewatin and Kenora.  Their island is Sunbath Island, in Lily Pad Bay.  They own their own little island, 3 acres in total.  On the first day we got there, I tried to cast off their dock, however, with the promise to cousin Tanis, that I would refrain from fishing for her "pet bass".  apparently this bass of hers, lives under the dock, and is her "friend"... I must add that Tanis is 30, and not 4 as you might think by this.  ;D  well, it's too bloody windy, and casting fly rod is no fun with the wind going this way and that, so I decided to troll from the canoe.  Only Hubby, is all to happy to sit on the dock drinking beers with his dad and uncle, that I end up paddling on my own.  so with fly rod, trolling, being held between my knees, I looked retarded, paddling this canoe.   however, I manage, and made 2 full circles around the island, to no avail.  I quit when I start thinking that the drinks on the dock sounds like a real good idea.  Day 2, Tanis...feeling bad about the no fishing for her bass thing, takes me out on the motorboat to troll around the island.....nothing.  Where are all the Walleye, Pike, and Bass she's been talking about?  well after a while we call it quits and head in for dinner.  Day 3, Now, Uncle Ray is feeling obligated to get me into some fish.  so he takes me out on the other boat, since Tanis has now gone home to work.  After an hour or so of fishing in the evening, I get one very small bass, still big enough for a one person dinner.  so on night of day 4, I got to eat fish for dinner.  Now it's day 5, we are going into Kenora to do some grocery shopping.  holy mac!  they have a Safeway, with a parking Dock for boats!!! Yep, float on up, tie up, go shop and then load the boats and be on yer way!  after gassing up the boat at the gas dock, we go to park our boat at the public docks.  well, a 5 minute boat ride turned into a nightmare ride of our lives!!!! it first starts raining, then starts pouring, then the hail came along with the winds and waves.  Aunt Shirley is desperately trying to park the boat between the landing and another boat.  the boat is being pushed by the waves into the next boat!!! Hubby puts his hands on the other boat to keep us from damaging and banging into the other boat, meanwhile our boat totally turns the wrong way into the dock area, and we are now sideways!  so I jumped off the boat on the the dock (trying not to trip over my own pants!) and ran to the otherside to pull the back end of the boat so it could be tied to the boat.  All in the middle of a hail storm.   :( :o :(  well I must say we laughed our heads off at eachother since we were all totally dripping wet.  I ended up going to the zellers to buy a pair of jeans, so that I didn't have to walk around soaking wet. by the time we got home to the cabin, i wasnt in the mood for fishing.   :(  day 6, final day... so we are leaving at 3, so at around 11am, I ask Hubby to paddle the canoe while I troll.  He happily agrees, since I saved their lives yesterday by jumping off the boat  ;D  on the first pass over the back side of the island, trolling my flyline with a red and white minnow pattern, I get a huge hit!!!!!  OMG it is running!!!! OMG it is sooooo heavy......HOLY CRAP I yell....only to be scolded by Hubby that I probably can be heard 3 islands away, and that I probably woke up the paxton's on the island nextdoor.  Well, this fish is running and coming then diving... I am having to hold my rod like it is a freakin salmon!  finally it comes up where we can see it ...and it is the ugliest freakin fish I think I have ever seen!  it's a Northern Pike.  4 pound tippet....YIKES, how the heck am I gonna get this fish landed so I can at least get a picture of it, before I release it?  Hubby asks "so where's the net"  I answer "I didnt bring one...." ....why not?  "because I thought we were just catchin and releasing bass today!!!! I didn't actually think there was any fish this big here!!!!"  well, we got it tired enough that I though we could tail it.  however when Hubby tried, the fish nearly bit his hand off!  when I tried, the line finally broke, probably against its teeth.  and MY what big teeth it had!  It sure was fun while it lasted.  we paddled back to the dock, got a net and a stringer, only to catch and release another small bass.  Fun while it lasted.  So I get home and tell my bro TtotheE about this, and he says "didnt you know you should use a metal leader?" (don't really quote me, I don't think he said" metal leader", just can't remember what he called it) NOW he tells me, perhaps then, I wouldnt have lost 3 darn flies!  we've gotten an open invite to go back anytime, so next time I will know!  btw, that Pike was probably around 18-24 inches and weighed about 5-6pounds (I think, coulda been more).  What fun, what fun! :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 04:54:06 PM by Rodney »
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Lake of the Woods, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 01:54:01 PM »

Nice report there Fishin

Lefty krey has written a few articles on Flying for Pike.  Quite the rush when hook up with a big preditor.Tried it a few times myself in Ont, would like to try Muskey now. Steel leaders and large pattlerns (frog, mouse, 2/0 minnow or small ducking).
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »

I was wondering if you were still around, long time no post!
Fish on!

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 12:27:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm still here....Rodney says I shouldn't lurk...but what can I say, I don't usually post unless I have something constructive to say!  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lake of the Woods, Ontario Late July
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

Good report Fishin Chick. ;) Any photos? Email them over for posting if you want.

You and BP should get together to run a spa business, he does the massage therapy, you do the nails etc.... ;D Wives and GFs of FWR members get 20% off. ;D

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 09:07:52 PM »

You and BP should get together to run a spa business, he does the massage therapy, you do the nails etc.... ;D Wives and GFs of FWR members get 20% off. ;D

Woohoo!! Whoopdeedee!  ;D  ;D  :D  ;)

Wow, sounds like quite the trip you guys had.  :)

I always wanted to catch a pike. There are tonnes of them in Denmark and we go fishing for them everytime Rodney comes to visit me. He's the only one who has caught any so far though  :'(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 09:09:54 PM by Nina »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 10:42:33 PM »

Wives and GFs of FWR members get 20% off. ;D

What about members ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 04:42:08 PM »

What's with the stringer? ;)

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 08:05:17 PM »

remember, I was in Winnipeg...with Hubby's uncle. who insisted on putting it on the stringer for me.... that, and I was expected to catch dinner for the whole family, which did not happen!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 10:28:52 PM »

:D nice report fishn chick. ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 10:46:52 PM »

remember, I was in Winnipeg...with Hubby's uncle. who insisted on putting it on the stringer for me.... that, and I was expected to catch dinner for the whole family, which did not happen!

Tell them it's the new West Coast cuisine....very little fish, with lots of rice and veggies for accent ;)