Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction  (Read 65286 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »

Chris. Bill was on CKNW last night and it was on their news then, but gone today!
I expect something in the Chilliwack paper next time!
Thanks very much, it may be in their archives. Do you know the time it was on?

Yes I provided injunction notice etc. to the Chilliwack Progress on Tuesday night so there will be a story tomorrow. ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:11:09 PM by chris gadsden »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »

my advice would be civil protest. Let's hire a lawyer, take pictures of illegal sales, have a picnic on the river, call the RCMP, invite the media to the "river picnic", call the radio stations, call the TV stations, ORR, and let's have at it. If the guys can go downtown and close down half the city for what have you reasons which are totally specious at best, then if we are worth a salt we will be able to organize ourselves peacefully, and effectively to deal with this task.

ANYONE interested in setting up a protest? I am on vacation next week, and I may just stand up and be counted to organize such a protest.  Don't know if anyone would be with me, but if you are interested in setting up such a protest, and peaceful protest would be the mandate, I may be willing to dedicate my time and money to taking pictures, firing up the press on this issue, and putting the CHEAM under the spotlight for the CROOKS that they are.

PRIVATE MESSAGE ME if individuals are INTERESTED in ORGANIZING A PROTEST or ORGANIZING OURSELVES INTO SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO GET US LOTS OF PUBLICITY via donating your time to EXPOSE THE FRAUD that NATIVES conduct their "food and ceremonial" fisheries under.  Please include your email if you are interested--and like I say, if there are enough interested parties out there, I would like to have the support of EVERYONE.

It's time that we take it to the RIVER and the PRESS EXACTLY how bogus this CHEAM injunction is.

At this time I am ONLY CONSIDERING doing this, so this isn't guaranteed. Anyone got time to donate?

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2005, 10:43:33 PM »

I'm game! I will be a good nothing to this country and protest!

PS...where in Mission was this fish sale...I have a digital camera.....

BOB
The Green Horn

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2005, 10:55:36 PM »

Unfortunately illegal fish sales are not restricted to Mission. They are everywhere.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2005, 11:03:18 PM »

Hold on to that protest people!

The Upper Fraser Sport Fishing Advisory Committee had a conference call with chairs of other regional SFACs (Lower, interior Fraser, Squamish) this evening to discuss this issue.

Tomorrow (Friday August 5th) at 9:30am in Victoria, Frank Kwak and Phil Eidsvick will be in court asking for an adjournment due to family circumstances of the Sportfishing Defense Alliance lawyer and the lack of preparation time of our argument.

In the meantime, we are asking the angling public to avoid any confrontation this weekend during the First Nations openings. Current opening periods are 18:00 Thursday, August 4 to 18:00 Saturday August 6 for set nets and 08:00 to 20:00 Saturday August 6 for Drift nets. If Chief Douglas and his band members approach you and shove the papers into your face (that's what has been taking place since earlier this week) asking you to move so they can run a drift net down a run that you occupy, Don't get yourself into an argument. Best thing to do is to pull the anchor up, move aside. Even better, avoid the areas that are mentioned in the injunction this weekend. I will find out where you can submit these reports (probably SDA, FVSS).

This is what we are recommending anglers to do this weekend, whether you do it or not, it's up to you. Consider the consequences. If a conflict occurs this weekend, you can be sure that it will be used for the injunction. The Cheam's whole point of pushing for this injunction is that they are unable to driftnet properly and get their allocated catches during their openings because anglersare preventing them from doing so. A confrontation by a group of anglers would only help their argument.

In the end, the decision will be made by the judge and Frank, Phil, Bill and the lawyer will do their very best to ensure the injunction does not go through. They also need the anglers' unified support. We don't need to have any mini protests going on out there to complicate the problem.

At our last meeting with FNs, Chief Douglas first brought up about this injunction, soon after another chief also expressed his interest of having similar actions done on the waters that his band utilizes. This injunction is not a local problem, if it passes through, be sure other First Nations will be asking for it. As someone puts it tonight, it'll be the beginning of the end.

Observe, record and report

We also need you to be keeping your eyes open, record any unusual activities (eg. threats coming from other boaters/netters, FN boats that attempt/pretend to run your boat over, netting outside of opening hours, selling fish illegally etc) ON paper (date, time, location, colour and marking of the boats involved, description of the violators, etc, as detailed as possible) and cameras (digital photos, camcorder videos, etc) and report to DFO/RCMP (DFO'S ORR line: 1-800-465-4336, Chilliwack RCMP: 604-792-4611). Coming onto the forums and complain about what has to you or your friends does no one good, the words lack credibility unless it is properly recorded, reported, signed and filed.

FN/Rec Dialogue Process

After tonight's discussion, the Upper Fraser SFAC will continue the resolution dialogue by attending the scheduled August 9th meeting with the FNs. We will continue to work with all bands on all of the issues that revolve around these fisheries and leave this particular issue up to the court.

On a related note: Several of us asked about recreational sockeye openings tonight, no information was given. You'll all have to wait until Tomorrow, but apparently the news today was worse than earlier this week. However, there is enough fish for an FN opening this weekend. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2005, 11:15:58 PM »

Also, this injunction was first brought to Chilliwack Dart and Tackle by an angler who was approached by Chief Douglas while fishing. This is second hand information (told by the owner tonight) so don't quote me on it: He gave him the papers and requested him to leave the river, and also told him to expect to buy a license from them next year if he wants to fish there again.

FM, your intentions are good, but let's tackle this issue by joining an existing organized body of anglers. If anglers scatter and get together into small groups without communicating with each other before taking actions, it may simply backfire.

Thomas, are you working tomorrow? I'll do my best to drop by the shop tomorrow, if not I'll try to call to discuss some stuff regarding this.

SDA contact for donation is coming up.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2005, 12:11:03 AM »

rod, i'm in 12;30 to closing time . at 9pm friday

roeman

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2005, 06:36:39 AM »

I am curious if people think that the dfo really does not know that the indians are selling fish.........
A guy I was talking to last night on the fraser is camping by the Sasquach and the indians were in there going from site to site selling sockeye for 3.50 a fish.  And selling lots, who is to blame here..
Don't buy the fish,,, tell them to go .........( you pick your own words here)...
And to the idots that were fishing at the top of Grassy in a boat last night, I hope you drown.. I was fishing at the bottom end and counted 17 empty bottles of beer floating by....LOOSERS...

Are you fishin or catchin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »

I was fishing at the bottom end and counted 17 empty bottles of beer floating by....LOOSERS...

The idiots probably hop into their cars and drive home thus endangering everybody on the road. >:(

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »

:ogood job handling this one rod. i also agree a peaceful protest is good . but we should wait and see like you said before we do anything.but it does not hurt to take some pics while out on the river this weekend. keep us posted on this as im in for a protest for sure.(peaceful) that is ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2005, 08:51:49 AM »

one of my major concerns regarding "denying access" to sections of the fraser during native fisheries is this:
Sports Anglers have been the UNDENIABLE "eyes and ears" of DFO on the river for years and years. What will happen if suddenly we are no longer able to "Observe, Record, Report" fishery violations on the river????

say good bye to wild Fraser river salmon and steelhead stocks as well as the mighty sturgeon.
these are dark times folks, we need to get the donations to SDA to start rolling in like they never have before AND RIGHT NOW.

FOR ANY OF THOSE WHO WISH TO MAKE $$$$ DONATIONS TO SDA, COME AND SEE ME AT BERRY'S BAIT IN RICHMOND, WE HAVE THE FULL SDA INFO PACKAGE AND DONATION BUCKET ON SITE.

I would also urge all tackle shops in the area to start getting vocal and to start up thier own SDA cash drive.

I will also provide anyone who wishes, a copy of this injunction, just drop in and see me at the shop.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 08:56:47 AM by allwaysfishin »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2005, 09:14:20 AM »

Good job allwaysfishin. Going to PM you with the SDA 's treasurer's phone number so you can get the SDA's mailing address. Tell him I asked you to call him.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2005, 10:01:53 AM »

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

August, 4, 2005

Chilliwack - Chuck Strahl, Member of Parliament for Chilliwack-Fraser
Canyon, today expressed disappointment with the Cheam Band's decision to
proceed with court action in an effort to ban sports fishers from the Fraser
River.

"There are enough fish to go around", said Strahl, "and the best way to
ensure they are allocated fairly and impartially is to sit down with all the
stakeholders and discuss options openly. Given recent efforts by many
aboriginal and sports fishers to have these face-to-face discussions, the
decision to take this to court in the middle of the season is very
regrettable."

Strahl was also adamant that no one group be excluded from the fishery. "The
Standing Committee of Fisheries and Oceans made unanimous, all-party
recommendations regarding the salmon fishery, and unfortunately the federal
Minister has chosen to ignore most of their ideas. At no time was there even
a suggestion that sports fishers be excluded, though there were concerns
expressed about - and recommendations made to curtail - the aboriginal drift
net fishery.  In other words, we have always had a mixed fishery, and that
should continue".

During a visit of the northern part of the Chilliwack-Fraser Canyon riding
last week, Strahl toured the waters between Lytton and Hells Gate with DFO
officials and a representative of the Lytton band. There were no fishing
violations at all on the river at that time.

"Both aboriginal and sports fishermen in the interior agreed that sharing
the resource is the way to go, and by meeting together regularly the
problems between the two groups have largely disappeared. DFO officials,
aboriginal fishery personnel and local sports fishers are working hard to
protect the resource and find ways to ease any tensions on the river. There
are some good news stories on that portion of the river, and folks there are
to be congratulated and encouraged for their efforts. It's my hope that we
can learn from their success and I urge all stakeholders in the lower Fraser
area to continue to dialogue outside of the court system".

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »

From http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050804/BCFRASER04/TPNational/Canada

By MARK HUME

Thursday, August 4, 2005 Page S1

VANCOUVER -- A native band has been handing shocked sports anglers on the Fraser River a statement of claim that names the fishermen as "John Doe and Jane Doe" in a court action that will attempt to ban thousands of recreational fishermen from the water.

"This is a serious matter. They want all non-aboriginal fishermen off the river. They want an exclusive fishery," said Phil Eidsvik of the B.C. Fisheries Survival Coalition.

The Cheam is a small band with about 300 members who fish mainly on the Fraser near the Agassiz-Rosedale bridge, about 80 kilometres east of Vancouver. The band is going to the B.C. Supreme Court to seek an injunction against "John Doe and Jane Doe prohibiting them from carrying out the 2005 Sports Fishery . . . without the permission or consent of Cheam."

The development is expected to exacerbate an already tense situation on the river that one native spokesman has described as "dangerous."

On any given day during the summer, up to 1,500 sports anglers can be found fishing for salmon on the lower Fraser River as it winds through the Fraser Valley after emerging from the Coast Range near Hope. One of the most popular spots to fish is along gravel bars above and below the Agassiz-Rosedale bridge.

"In the past day or two, fishermen on the bars near the bridge have had native guys tell them to leave, and when they refused they have had these papers shoved in their hands," said Frank Kwak, a member of the B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers.

"One fisherman was told, 'From here on in you will be paying us to fish here'."

Mr. Kwak said the development is disturbing. His group and the B.C. Fisheries Survival Coalition plan to fight the application when it goes to court. It is expected to be heard in Victoria this week.

In the past, sports anglers and aboriginal fishermen have clashed on the river bars near the bridge. There have been reports of fishermen hurling insults -- and rocks -- at one another, but this summer has been largely free of conflict due, in part, to a peacekeeping effort that has been under way for several weeks.

Bill Otway, a member of the Sport Fishing Defence Alliance, said chiefs from several bands and representatives of sports anglers have been holding meetings trying to develop a dialogue. But he said the threatened legal action of the Cheam is a blow to that process -- and it threatens to spark more clashes between sports anglers and aboriginal fishermen.

"We are telling our guys to be cool and to be courteous because we think what the Cheam really want is to trigger conflict so they can say, 'see, we need [sports anglers] banned.' "

Mr. Otway wasn't aware of any conflict during the time natives were legally allowed to fish, but he said harsh words get exchanged when sports anglers witness natives fishing in closed periods.

"Nobody that I'm aware of has ever come into conflict with natives over legitimate fisheries," he said. "If they are coming through with drift nets they usually just ask guys to move, and they will pull their lines and let the nets go through. It's not a big deal usually."

Mr. Otway said the Cheam, who are one of 19 Sto:lo bands on the Fraser River, have long sought control of the popular and productive waters in the Agassiz-Rosedale area.

"This is just the start," said Mr. Otway, who warned that if the Cheam are granted an injunction, other bands could follow.

In the statement of claim, Chief Douglas says his band "exclusively occupied the islands, bars, beaches and banks on the Fraser River . . . and exercised exclusive control, in accordance with the customs, traditions and laws of the Central Coast Salish over the fisheries of the Fraser River in this area."

He said the band has "the exclusive right to use and control access to the fisheries."

A map filed with the statement of claim shows that the Cheam are claiming control of about 20 kilometres of the Fraser River, as well as parts of Harrison River and Harrison Lake.

Ernie Crey, a fisheries consultant with the Sto:lo Nation, said the Cheam want to keep sports anglers out of the area because they don't think they can share the water peacefully.

"There has been name calling. Rocks have been thrown from the shore. . . . It has become dangerous," he said.

Mr. Crey said the federal government created the problem by allowing the sport fishery to expand over the past decade, with the harvest limit for sockeye growing from around 5,000 salmon to 50,000.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »

Some updates for those who are interested.

Just heard from Frank, they will be reconvening at 1400 this afternoon.  Phil will be speaking at that time.  He believes that the case may be held over but only until Monday.  The judge has given an indication that this is an emergency and as such must be addressed sooner rather than later. Frank is not positive about what he has seen so far.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14