Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction  (Read 65244 times)

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
Re: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2005, 08:51:18 PM »

Am I to understand that boat access bars are still open? and that only fishing from anchored boats is covered by this injuction?   any clarification on this!!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2005, 09:21:27 PM »

From the little information that I've received over phone calls etc (will have clarifications later on tonight), RCMP will be asking anglers who anchor their boats in the concerned areas to leave. If you do not leave, you will probably be arrested. I don't see a problem passing by the area on a boat. The goal of Cheam is to make sure there are no anchored boats so they can drift their nets down freely. This also means, there would be no eyes and ears monitoring exactly what is happening in the area.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2005, 09:42:40 PM »

:'( guess i will stay home so i dont end up in jail. :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2005, 09:49:13 PM »

Pilalt Territory mentioned in the injunction.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2005, 10:22:14 PM »

so does this mean that shoreline, foot access sport fishers will not be hindered from access to the fishery???
can a guy shuttle fishers to the bars in this area and drop them off, thus never needing to actually fully anchor up??
As I understand legal matters, letter of word is VERY important in trying to prosecute someone for an apparent or alledged violation of law. This interim injunction as written in the above post, indicates anchored boat fishermen. Any shoreline fisher who is interupted or arrested by the RCMP in this area will definately have a strong case against any charges.
I don't work monday tuesday and I'm going to go investigate, with camera and notebook and cellphone in hand.
I encourage ALL parties to maintain thier usual presence on the river even if you are not fishing but avoid altercation and give a wide berth to native boats. OBSERVE RECORD AND REPORT is our duty as conservation motivated sportfishers.
A lot of film footage could be gleaned this weekend to be made availlable to local media and as evidence for the SDA in any court defense if we maintain a civil but ever vigilant presence on the river. Be sure if you are using a camera that prints the date on the photo, to set the proper date prior to filming.
This is Canada, there are no borders within our country other than the provincial borders and the area outlined by the cheam IS NOT recognized as Native private property nor is this entire area labelled as reserve land nor is it a seperate province from the rest of B.C.... to the best of my knowledge.

If the moderators feel this post is suggesting action beyond what you feel is appropriate feel free to modify this post
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:26:20 PM by allwaysfishin »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2005, 10:30:14 PM »

Good point, that is one of the two things I am trying to clarify right now with a few contacts.

One is whether foot access would be allowed.

Two is, the judge has told the sportfishers to stay off until Tuesday while they drift net, but the opening for drift netting is only this Saturday from 0800 to 2000. Doesn't this mean boats should allow to anchor outside of this time?

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2005, 10:32:51 PM »

why are the RCMP going out for this injuntion
but are never or rarely around to inforce the laws of canadU

continue to vote liberal my friends for more of the same

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2005, 10:42:16 PM »

This really riles my non native feathers. Good thing I am leaving for the West coast of Vancouver Island on Sunday to catch salmon legally and  honorably, while sharing  the water with all those entitled to be present. Otherwise I might be tempted to anchor my boat in the injunction area, catch some rays and read a book.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:45:29 PM by FishOn »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2005, 10:58:10 PM »

Yes Guys, watch their every move, and every time they slip up, if it is past or before the time, and NOTE EVERY incident. The charter of rights and freedoms allows you FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT so it is perfectly legal to watch them fish, as long as you don't interfere.

I too will drive out there to watch this BS. HAS ANYONE NOTIFIED AND INVITED THE MEDIA OUT TO THE FISHING AREAS YET?

I have a 1GB Sandisk SD card in a 6 Megapixel Camera with 10X optical zoom that I am going to bring along. TAKE PICTURES of the fish sales too!

I SPY WITH MY LITTLE EYE>>>>> :) :)

allwaysfishin

« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2005, 11:15:20 PM »

those of you on the river in the "HOT ZONES" i'll call them, should maybe make a white sign with black letters to hold up for viewing by RCMP and FN fishers that reads " OBVSERVER". I know that sounds hilarious but if media cameras are present and a boat that is flying an Observer marking gets hassled or involved in an altercation, that's the kind of stuff that gets peoples attention. Do not antagonize FN's , approaches should only be made to within detailed camera view.

steelie5000

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2005, 12:20:14 AM »

I cant beleive everyone is just sitting on there butts waiting for something to happen. The longer we sit here, the worst it gets. We are going to loose OUR resource of salmon and all anyone can do is wine about it. GET OUT THERE AND SHOW THEM WE WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!!!!
Report Number:10112
Where there is water, I WILL fish.......

allwaysfishin

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »

it's already happening steelie5000,
there are three things folks can do right now, from on there butts or how ever they see fit.
1) write your feelings to the government and dfo contacts listed earlier in this post
2) squeeze a little outta your monthly budget and donate to SDA
3) Observe , Record and Report and if you will be on the river bring materials to document what you see and make copies for evidence purposes.

n4cer

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2005, 10:03:24 AM »

Listen reriger...why does the blame always go to the rcmp?  Are you aware of the rights the rcmp have on native land??  have you spent a day working on duty, 18 hrs (8 hours voluntary overtime due to call volume) of going from complaint to complaint with no meal breaks, wearing all that gear in this heat??  Typically the rcmp cannot act on situations similar to this unless there is a specific court order, threat to human life or a criminal code offence.  Have you researched how many dfo officers there are to man this area??  Ratherthan jumping to conclusions and blaming the rcmp, do your research.  Why aren't you blaming the courts or the judge in this matter?? They are the ones that issue these orders. 

I'm out of estrogen and I own a gun

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2005, 10:14:44 AM »

Headed upwards of Mission now guys, get in the truck and or car, leave the fishing gear at home, get a coffee, grab your camera, and lets go!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2005, 10:57:55 AM »

just spoke with the chilliwack RCMP
the seargeant handling this has in formed me of the following
I asked him about the area in question , I was told it ran from the top of herling island down just past island 22 to the reseve land there, both sides of the river, bank to bank.
I asked if shore angling was permitted, he replied that the injunction covers anchored boats only. Shore anglers should not have any problem with RCMP. this means that if you are hassled by natives... CALL THE RCMP
I asked if boats would be in violation of the order if they were simply operating in these waters and either observing or transporting anglers to the bars. I was told that this was also NOT a violation of the injunction order. Again if you are hassled by FN's, call the RCMP.

I was told that the RCMP are not just on the river to "back up the natives" there presence is to ensure that all parties do not get into conflict.
I would personally rather not hear from anyone who has negetive words to say about the RCMP, they have a tough job to do, let them do it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14