Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: upper vedder aug 3rd  (Read 3376 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
upper vedder aug 3rd
« on: August 03, 2005, 04:05:50 PM »

:'( :'(well we got to the limit hole at 5am and one guy already fishing. within 5mins he hooks a 15 lb spring. not bad shape just turnin a bit.he leaves then its me and my buddy. we take turns hooking sockeye and releasing them in the water. then wham my budddy gets a hit that woke him up. 2 mins and then the fish shoots up river goodbye mr spring. :'( oh well we fish for another 30 mins and more sockeye ::). its now getting frusterating no springs. i was fishing where fishfreak tolsd me to but they were not around this morning. we left around 10:30 when two beeeks decided to start bottom bouncing. why i dont understand. as we left they were getting yelled at by some other fisherman. what a great morning anyways. also ran into minime who was going to try tamahi. there were a few hold up under ythe tamahi bridge when we left. good luck and tight lines ;D ;D

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: upper vedder aug 3rd
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 04:59:53 PM »

Camped at tamahi yesterday fished the afternoon from tamahi up to limit hole, didnt see one spring caught, but saw alot of sockeye caught. Before the night was over I switched to a trout setup and caught a couple nice wild trout around 10', the little buggers put up a great fight. Woke a little late this morning and headed  straight to limit hole around 8am,a few people there had to fish the outskirts of the hole, no one was catching anything so I tried a few casts for trout, nada. Headed back to camp packed up had a great breakfast and tried Lickman for a bit, caught a few small trout and headed back to the city. Talked to the dfo a bit up near limit hole, they had one unlucky anglers gear in the back of their truck, they must have been earning their pay on that river the last few weeks, they didnt seem very impressed with all the sockeye being caught with the "float bouncing" this is what I call fishing with 10 or 12 feet of line between the float and the lead in a five foot deep run.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 07:16:36 PM by lucky »

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »

great repeort i was there yesterday saw 1 spring caught and i got a sockeye 2nd cast i was only theres for 10 minutes

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 06:10:36 PM »

we left around 10:30 when two beeeks decided to start bottom bouncing. why i dont understand. as we left they were getting yelled at by some other fisherman.

Do you mean they were using 8 ft plus leaders?  If not, it is a good technique to bottom bounce with  3-4' leader and a heavy piece of lead to slow down the presentation in fast runs. Springs are lazy fish and slowing down the presentation with bottom bouncing in fast water is quite effective to get them to bite.  Lets not stereotype the technique 'bottom bouncing' as if it is only done by the flossers of the Fraser.  I have seem many top rods bouncing deep fast runs legitimately and out fished others for springs & steelheads.

Bantam_50

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:59:31 PM »

we left around 10:30 when two beeeks decided to start bottom bouncing. why i dont understand. as we left they were getting yelled at by some other fisherman.

Do you mean they were using 8 ft plus leaders?  If not, it is a good technique to bottom bounce with  3-4' leader and a heavy piece of lead to slow down the presentation in fast runs. Springs are lazy fish and slowing down the presentation with bottom bouncing in fast water is quite effective to get them to bite.  Lets not stereotype the technique 'bottom bouncing' as if it is only done by the flossers of the Fraser.  I have seem many top rods bouncing deep fast runs legitimately and out fished others for springs & steelheads.

Lets not compare 'bottom bouncing' to BB'ing. Big difference ... I'd have no problem stating that 95+% of anglers wouldn't be very successful at "bottom  bouncing ' as it's an aquired art. Also there's a diffence to bottom bouncing deep fast runs/pools and a 5 ft. deep slot.  3-4 ft leader = flossing ::)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 07:08:23 PM by Bantam_50 »

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 07:01:13 PM »

Hey Pep , just curious as to what the Sockeye were biting on  ??? or do you think they were biting  ???

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »

Are the sockey red at vedder? or do they take some time before they turn fully red?
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 07:25:31 PM »

Nice to see you're fishign Trev, good report. I just want to point out one important item.

Sockeye salmon in the Vedder is completely closed to angling. This means, even catch and release should be avoided. If you find yourself getting into numerous sockeyes, it's best to move along and fish an area where sockeyes are not stacking up.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 08:59:49 PM »

this morning ,me and buddy went up to the meat hole and look around,saw a elderly angler wear a brown wader fish at the top section,saw him dragged a sockeye right up to the rock beach before he unhook the fish,this really make me sick,shame on him,but nobody  say anything around him.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »

i agree 100% with ya rod  thats one of the reasons we left. and just to set the record straight they were using 6-8ft leaders while bbing.oh well the fraser should be hopping soon. ;D ;D ;D