Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River mouth August 6th  (Read 5890 times)

Sinaran

Seymour River mouth August 6th
« on: August 06, 2005, 10:36:52 PM »

Fished at the seymour river mouth today for a bit, trying my new fire strip spoon.  Saw about 10 other anglers fishing there and most of them were jigging and two of them doing fly fishing.  No action at all from 7pm to 9pm, no body caught anything.  but there were quite a number of fish jumping out of water though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 01:49:14 AM by Rodney »
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour River mouth today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »

Really ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour River mouth today
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 12:43:19 AM »

One thing though I did have to put my Sun-glasses on to when one member showed up to fish with shorts on, I think it has been years since them leg's have seen sun.

C.F

;D ;D ;D ;D

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour River mouth August 6th
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »

Was up there in the boat last night, only one fish snagged. Saw a guy trying to snag past the train bridge so I thought I would go for a walk and have a talk with this guy, well I get over there and start telling him he cant keep fish past the bridge and he doesnt need to snag them they actually bite, then he turns around and I notice he is native, what a waste of breath on my part. Just curious CF are you the guy with the harley?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 09:19:48 AM by lucky »

calfisher

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 10:05:19 AM »

Say Lucky, was that you about 8:30 pm in the Boston Whaler with 2 kids in the front?

Cal

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 10:11:31 AM »

My boat looks similar to a whaler but has a pointy bow, was only me and my girlfriend out last night.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 11:31:03 AM »

My boat looks similar to a whaler but has a pointy bow, was only me and my girlfriend out last night.

If that was you at the mouth, then you are in an area where boats are prohibited. There are signs on the east and west side.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 11:43:07 AM »

Just curious where the no boating signs are? as I did not see any, and there where other boats in the area that I was in as well as alot of commercial fishing boats parked at the marina next to the mouth.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »

Just curious where the no boating signs are? as I did not see any, and there where other boats in the area that I was in as well as alot of commercial fishing boats parked at the marina next to the mouth.

There are two signs, one on the east and one on the west side.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 01:04:17 PM »

FA is saying that as you where close to where he was last night and couldn't cast as you where in "HIS" spot!.

No secret spots. Cover water and you will find them.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 01:39:03 PM »

I was catching them after you left !! ;D

pnKroK

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 02:44:13 PM »

Just a question about the boundaries on the Seymour.

If you have a tidal lisence then the boudary for the seymour is the bridge.

BUT...if you have a freshwater lisence...are you allowed to fish up river?

And are you only allowed to fish for certain fish?

Just curious.

Thanks,

-rob C

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 03:07:50 PM »

Rob

Tidal Water
When you're fishing in tidal waters and want to find the regulations in a specific area, you go to this page and click on the location on the map.

In this case, tidal portion of Seymour River (below the CNR bridge) is in Area 28, so you go to this page. Near the top, you'll see the openings and daily quotas for all salmon species.

Freshwater
When you want to fish for salmon in the freshwater/non-tidal waters, you can find the regulations on this page. Please note this section is only for SALMON REGULATIONS in freshwater, you also need to follow some general freshwater regulations (such as bait ban, closed area, etc) in this section. I know it's all complicated.... salmon is under federal, but freshwater is under provincial, that's why it's seperate...

Anyways, back to that salmon regulations page, click on Area 2 on the map (Seymour River is in that area). On that page, you'll find a table with the openings and daily quotas of salmon species. IF THE SALMON SPECIES ARE NOT LISTED IN THE TABLE, THEY ARE CLOSED TO RETENTION AND SHOULD NOT BE TARGETED.

In that table, you'll find Seymour River is opened year round for coho, with one hatchery coho allowed to be harvested per day. Chinook salmon is opened Sep 01-Dec 31, with a daily quota of two, but none may be over 62cm long.

Now back to that freshwater general regulations page, please click on Area 2 on that map. On that following page, go down to the table and find Seymour River, you'll see several regulations that you need to follow when you're fishing it:

• No fishing above signs at Spur 7 (1.5 km below Seymour Dam) and between signs 200 m above and 130 m below pipeline bridge (near Greater Vancouver Water District gate).
  • Trout/char release (including steelhead), fly fishing only, and bait ban from Spur 4 bridge to signs at Spur 7

Does that clear up the questions?

<As I typed this up above I got mentally tired and a bit angry, because of the fact that the regulations are set up so complicated and it's almost impossible to follow if you are just starting out> >:(

calfisher

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 03:23:02 PM »

For the Seymour the boundary for tidal is the CN Train bridge, just like the Cap.

For the gentleman that was fishing the Seymour mouth at noon Friday using treble hooks, Page 24  of the Tidal Waters Sportfishing Guide in Area 28 states "It is prohibited to use more than one single-pointed hook in the tidal waters of the Seymour River from the 'BCR' Railway bridge downstream to the fishing boundary signs located on the west and east shore of the Seymour River from August 1 to December 31".

It is always a good idea to pick up a copy of the regs if you didn't get them with your license.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 06:21:26 PM »

Sounds like you're jealous CF  ;)