Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back on the Bar, August 10th  (Read 5279 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Back on the Bar, August 10th
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:43:18 PM »

The day began as I arose at 4am for another pleasurable day of bar fishing with Chris. Rodney and Nina were also fishing with us today. First stop was Cookies for breakfast. We were the 2nd group of early birds in there and the food was great. Thanks to Rodney for the meal. 8) After breakfast we all proceeded to Island 22. Chris arrived first as me, Rodney and Nina stopped at Tim Hortons to pick up a sandwich for lunch. Just as arriving I noticed 2 search and rescue vehicles at the launch and a helicopter coming in for landing. Quickly unload our supplies into the Leaf Craft and begin the launching process. Chris speaks with fellow fisherman and asks about the search and rescue crews on the river and in the air. The man replied"A fellow drowned up at Peg Leg trying to cross the 2nd channel" Soon everyone was touched by the tragic incident and thought about the man's family. Definetaly not a good thought to think about as the day just begun. A reminder to all, there is alot more to live for then a silly fish and think before your do things, after all the water is out to get you.

Soon the Leaf Craft was ready to roll onto the mighty Fraser. Chris told us all that shes been a little cranky to start lately but in no times shes firing on all cylinders and ready to head to MLB. The ride up is nice with the clear skies becoming covered with clouds and marine air. Before setting up the rods you can tell Rodney and Nina are freezing their baguettes off, what kind of fisherman are they? Wearing nothing more then a t-shirt and shorts with Nina having a pair of short pants on. ::) Just as we finish setting up camp and only 3 rods are in the water, Rodney is sitting in the boat tying up a new rig when the rod in the boat starts to dance, "Hook it, hook it" Rodney"What, it's a fish" "HOOK IT!" Jeeze, Rodney, beeko be gone on that performance but I guess he can use it was only in the water for 5 minutes excuse, he hooks the fish and fight is on, after 5 or so minutes the fish gets in close and what is it? A SOCKEYE :o once again on the bar rig. A beautiful fish, without a single marking. A quick picture and then released back into the murky waters. Lot's of time goes by without any action and we set up a tarp to protect from the wind as it howled all day. Soon Lisa and her girlfriend arrive and set up, no action for them either for a long time until their top rod starts to dance, a quick battle and a small Spring is netted. Soon Chris starts making phonecalls about the drowning tragedy and the Cheam injunction and we finally have some good news to talk about, the Cheam injunction was thrown out of court. :) A huge victory for the SDA. :D

More time goes by with no more action on the 4 standing poles. It is late afternoon and we each take turns having a nap to pass time. Also go for a walk, and I find a little gem in the sand, none other then a bell. ;D I gave it to Chris to add it to his collection. 5 or 6 times today the tugboats passed by and created a huge wake on the shore, I was holding the Leaf Craft when they passed so they would not thrash the prop. That was successful but the force of the wake pushed huge amounts of water into the bottom of the boat adding lots of weight to it.  Suddenly my rod starts to dance, run over, hookset, headshake and fish gone. :'( Oh well. Prior to packing up and leaving some beeks role up in their jetboat with a hockey stick and a large canucks flag waving it on the bar. Seems as though they have claimed the bar as Canucks bar, but we all know it's Maple Leaf Bar. ;)

We reload the Leaf Craft and head back to the launch. The ride back was rough with the wind pushing upstream creating a bad chop on the water.

At the launch, Chris grabs the Leaf Mobile and we put Leaf Craft back on the trailer. However with the amount of water the tugs dumped in the boat it made pulling out difficult, we threw down carpets to have the tires stick and not spit out rocks which was unsuccessful, 3 gentlemen then come over and add weight in the back of Chris' truck and sure enough first try it works. ;D

Thanks for a great day on the water once again!
They will input what I missed. ;D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 09:49:27 PM by Trout Slayer »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Back on the Bar, August 10th
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

Finally a bar fishing day for us, will probably be the only one with so much going on this summer. :-\

Excellent guiding today Chris, got me into my first ever sockeye. ;D

Wayne Cox has some explanation to do, I thought the forecast said sunny and hot for the rest of this week... :o Good thing Chris had his fishing sweater. ;) :-[

That sockeye was a big surprise, five minutes after the rod was set up. I hesitated because the boat was rocking. :P

Highlight of the day was when the eagle was attacking the heron on the river. :o

Photos

Heading out on the Leaf Craft early in the morning.

The action was intense.

Slippery sockeye.

A quick shot and it swam away.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:15:54 PM »

Good read Trout Slayer but do you have to suck up to Chris by mentioning the Make Beliefs ?  ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:24:56 AM »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 10:25:52 AM »

;D a great post and congrats to you rod on your first sockeye.thats a million dollar grin you have there. ;D

Noel

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 11:14:39 AM »

Beauty fish Rod.

I too caught a sockeye on the bar rod, same location, a few days ago. I've also heard of others catching sockeye, barfishing. Becoming more common I guess.

Nice report.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 04:31:22 PM by Noel »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 01:18:20 PM »

Can you just fish from Is 22? or need to cross river?

Thankyou

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 02:03:50 PM »

With just the shadows illuminated (courtesy of http://www.shadowilluminator.org )

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 02:22:45 PM »

Ok.....I can see he's wearing Chris's "lucky stinky old sweater"  ;D. You are a kind gentleman Chris.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 04:32:31 PM »

Prior to packing up and leaving some beeks role up in their jetboat with a hockey stick and a large canucks flag waving it on the bar

Good one,  :D
Actions speak louder than words.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 08:20:33 AM »

With just the shadows illuminated (courtesy of http://www.shadowilluminator.org )

author=dennisK link=topic=7510.msg68246#msg68246 date=1123770296

mine was better and posted earlier 3 posts up...you have me on "ignore" lol ? :)

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9047/dscf04999lr.jpg

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »

Was a great day to get out on the river again with Nina, Rodney, and Aaron. Of course the day got off to a very bad start with the news of the drowning and we all thought of this unfortunate event all day.

It is a grim reminder to remember that as beautiful as the water looks it is just waiting to claim your life if you make a mistake. Always wear your PFD, I know I have been a bit weak on this personally too many times over the years and even wear chest waders when out in the boat even though I take the straps off my shoulders but it is plain stupid on my part to not have a PFD on at all times. 

The fishing appears to be slow of late as we found out but the amount of sockeye we have landed bar fishing is amazing as our parties have landed 6 so far. Over 30 years of bar fishing have never landed that many total. This makes me think there is lots of sockeye going by right now.

I think more sockeye are going through than FOC will admit too and I back this up as I got a report today the water yesterday is boiling with them in the Thompson River system. The person giving me the report said that was not the case last year.

Good to see them there of course in such numbers this year and it shows the increased enforcement on the Fraser this year is helping more fish to get by the illegal netting that is still going on but in less number than last year. Every  drift that does not happens saves several sockeye to escape to their natal stream.

Even though I do not wish to fish for the sockeye I still think there is some fish there for the recreational sector to harvest but I may be wrong with this statement but I am fairly confident that it is the political climate that is keeping those that like to harvest a few sockeye off the river.

Anyway, enjoyed the trip as mentioned but I wished Rodney comes dressed properly next trip so I do not have to give him "my stinky old sweather" my good luck charm. ;D

O yes and that was a beautiful sockeye Rodney landed and it looks extra good with the Maple Leaf emblem, rolling, rolling, rolling right along ;D ;D ;D in the background, right FA. ;D

Also the effort to take over Maple Leaf Bar by some Canuck fan has failed as the name Maple Leaf Bar has now been registered with The Mapping department in Victoria and will be appearing on the next maps of the Fraser River when they are published. ;D ;D

I suggest the owners of this bit of cloth try to find another bar for the Canuck flag to flutter on, maybe up river a bit. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 10:23:16 AM by chris gadsden »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 11:05:44 AM »

author=dennisK link=topic=7510.msg68246#msg68246 date=1123770296

mine was better and posted earlier 3 posts up...you have me on "ignore" lol ? :)

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9047/dscf04999lr.jpg

LOL...no I felt that yours had simply brightened all, and washed things out a bit.  That's why I went with the shadow illuminator...less artifacts in the enhanced shadow regions as far as I could tell.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »

Are you guys trying to locate where the hook is around the mouth by making the pic brighter? ;)

I think it's my screen, because the original pic already looks quite bright on here. My screen's brightness adjustment doesn't seem to work.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 11:18:31 AM »

I think I see a corky  :o 

Can you not see more details in the shadowed areas in the picture which I posted, compared to yours?