Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C & R Fraser River sockeye salmon during the closure  (Read 17364 times)

miketheflyguy

C & R Fraser River sockeye salmon during the closure
« on: August 16, 2005, 10:01:44 PM »

Mod: Discussion originated from the Fraser August 16 report.

I don't believe some people  >:( It happens where I go on a regular basis....although some people curse at them not to do that LoL.....but I don't understand why some people beach em'.....makes me mad when I hear this as only 92,000 sock's have passed hells gate.....although 1,000,072 have passed mission.....wonder where the 1million went  ::)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 11:02:56 AM by Rodney »

fisher88

Re: Fraser August 16
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 10:39:42 PM »

thats nuts.. does the counting at mission occur before the vedder and harrison confluence or after?? if its after then we got some major illegal fishing going on!!!
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 11:24:51 PM »

I don't believe some people  >:( It happens where I go on a regular basis....although some people curse at them not to do that LoL.....but I don't understand why some people beach em'.....makes me mad when I hear this as only 92,000 sock's have passed hells gate.....although 1,000,072 have passed mission.....wonder where the 1million went  ::)
I dont know if you ever cought a sox in the fraser but they are basicly son of a guns when you try to let them go in the water they are pretty much imposible to releas because they fight soo much you have to drag it out some out to have a chance of removing the hook fast and let it go fast. Im not saying beach it like you do when the seasson is on but still very hard to let them suckers go.
[

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:52:57 PM »

If the above numbers are credible, then it is a sad scene indeed.  With the sport and commercial sectors shut out, FN has to bear all the responsibility for wiping out the fish stock for greed.  They cannot blame others.  Yes, they will blame the temperature, blab blab blab for the massive die off.  But have any shore fishermen witnessed massive number of dead sockeyes floating down the river?  Nope! They can fool the uninformed public, but not experienced fishermen.  When the sockeyes disappear in the future, they can deflect the responsibility by blaming the white men and the damage they have done to the environment, but never FN themselves.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 11:57:19 PM by funfish »

TtotheE

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:02:54 AM »

Got skunked on the bar rig today near hope.
Had a fish swim thru my legs while I was trying to unsnag my 8 ounce weight when changing locations.
Saw 1 sockeye released in the water, 3 long line releases and 1 spring beached,  in a 3 hour span.

Some things to keep in mind when releasing fish:
-A fish out of water is like your head being dunked into water without warning.
 If you don't think you can hold your breath that long, remember that the fish can't either.
-Use a soft catch and release net(not the abrasive knotted kind) if you can't manage your rod and the fish at the same time.
-Ask a fellow angler to hold your rod while you release the fish in the water if you don't have a net.
-Revive the fish and let it swim away when its ready.

I understand that sometimes a fish such as sockeye, are so energetic that they can be difficult to release in the water.  This is no excuse to beach them so they can shake 'n bake.  If you can't fish in an area where you have to release fish and release them properly,  don't.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »

good reason for DFO to shut the bars right down until the numbers of socs justify a rec. opening.   

A dead fish is a dead fish! Flossing socs now isnt much different than FN poaching them, still one less fish for the spawning beds...at least a FN poached fish gets eaten (or sold) unlike the poor soc we heard about above...it porbably died in the river and is now crab bait somewhere.

With the water nearing 20 degrees (apparently an all time high), I ask each flosser out there right now to consider their impact on the sockeye they release.   How any socs are being hooked each day right now by Rec anglers, how many ARENT going to spawn because of that...questions people should be considering right now.

Why are people so hungry for springs that they endanger sockeye in the process?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 11:24:40 AM »

Why are people so hungry for springs that they endanger sockeye in the process?

Agree.

Last week, when I was trying to tail the sockeye in the water after bringing it in on the bar rod, I thought it was rather difficult because of how slippery it was and how fast it was circling around me (almost comical to watch ::) ). Imagine doing the same thing, with a longer leader.

The sockeye fishery is closed for a reason. DFO intends to reduce sockeye mortality by rec anglers, let's help them to achieve that goal. While some may not agree with the FN openings that are taking place in the waters right now, it doesn't mean we should all be out there disobeying the law and ignoring DFO's request.

Gooey, highest temperature reached last year was 21.5C in mid August, just above the 60 year maximum. The temperature is increasing this year, but it's not as bad as last year.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 02:26:17 PM »

:o :o :o wow hope you are right. cause im not fishing till the pinks come in so i stay away from dangering the sockeye that are in the river at this moment :D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 03:37:13 PM »

my dad and i and about 20 other fireman, headed up there for 2 days. this is part of what we got. also caught tons of socks, and 1 nice pink,

Coho Cody ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:44:16 PM by DragonSpeed »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »

agghh, they didnt work...just click the link to see em'
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/album30

there the last 3 pics ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:44:50 PM by DragonSpeed »

Markthefisher

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 04:04:40 PM »

Hey guys...You all are complaining about how hard it is to release sockeye and how bad it is for them but the way I see it that fish WILL go on to spawn. Think about it, all the crap a fish endures in its life in the ocean and then they have to put up with the Fraser. FN mets, seals, fishermans lines/weights hitting them {and not hooking}. Salmon are a very determined fish and I don't think five minutes of fight will finally be the nail in the coffin. I have personally released five socks this year and didn't even have to touch one with my hands. If you tire them out enough you just use pliers to grab the hook as they swim by, give it a twist, and whola! Just don't let their bellies hit the rocks or they go nuts.

Sinaran

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 06:06:04 PM »

good catch, coho cody!

where is it though? and seems to me the fish is smiling in the pic....?
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 07:16:29 PM »

Yap I think the fish is saying, what a relief better caught by hook and line then drift net  ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 07:43:02 PM »

i agree i think they should shut the Fraser down until socks open if they do or at least let them go through without some one beaching them,then re-open river.if people are hooking into socks if your with a friend then maybe he/she should give you a hand in releasing and if your alone then help out a fellow fisherman to make it easier on the both of them,instead of beaching them.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 08:29:43 PM »

If you are by yourself could you not just cut the line as close to the hook as possible instead of beaching. Does the acids in them not rust the hook fairly quickly or is this just a fishy legend ???.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day